Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 12/10 (Read 201 times)

Joe1775

Scott...This is me donning my lab coat and telling you to stop!  How's that for laid back haha.  When do you see the doc, Thursday?  I guess if it it's not hurting worse you're good.  I'll just keep my fingers crossed for you.  As for Rocky Raccoon, something wasn't right.  Maybe it was a she and she was doing the baby thing?  I don't know, it was just kinda standing over a drainage grate and taking these weird little steps.

Sounds oddly like the final throws of rabies.  I've come across a raccoon in similar condition while trail running.  Freaked me out for sure.  All is well for you though as you got by, so no worries.

Scott - At least I don't have a monopoly on being hard headed.  I did not stop running when I had the dreaded plantar fascistic   It hurt like the dickens for just over a month while running, but out the door each day I went.  A change in running shoes to a lesser heel/toe drop and some strengthening did the trick for me.  I hope you can find a way to improve your foot issue, as you obviously aren't going to stop running for now.  

Greg - Welcome fellow runner!  I look forward to your input and stories.  :-)

Finally PRed!!!

CC: hope you have a good run/walk tonight.

Greg: welcome!

SIAR: nice job with the easy 10. I was averaging right around the 50 mpw mark (peaked at 62) while training for Buffalo when I had the dead legs. This time, I've lost most of the extra weight I was lugging around, and I've built up to it much more gradually, and so far, I seem to be tolerating it much better. Last winter/spring, I couldn't hit any decent paces, not for tempo runs or races or any runs, really. Your raccoon story is funny, reminds me of one time when I was in high school, we lived near the fairgrounds and I used to run on the horse track sometimes (not when any horses were using it, of course). One time I was running on the horse track, and there was a beaver lying on it. Of course being young, I stopped to look at it, and it growled at me.

Scott:  careful with the running! But I'm glad it doesn't make it worse.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

thinkin about glory days

Julia, you must be from the DC area if you liked that football game yesterday.  I'm a Steelers fan, so I liked it too.  I can't believe you were able to run 19 miles after your 8k yesterday - very impressive!

Scott, just remember, there's plenty of time between now and March.  If you need to back off a little, now's the time to do it.  I know...easier said than done.

NTS and markrice, good job on your recovery runs.

Joe, enjoy the rest - you've earned it.  That was a good looking pizza.  Did you get that in Delaware?  If so, I need to go get me one of those.

Docket, didn't you just run a half marathon?  You race so often, I can't keep track!  From now on, I'll wish you congratulations and good luck every day just to be safe.

PO, sounds like you're making the most of your trip to the gym.

CC, what a shame about the weather yesterday.  I know you had high hopes for this race.  At least you won't have to wait too long for the next one.  10 marathons?  I had no idea that you had run so many.

Greg, welcome!

SIAR, it sounds like we are having similar weather.  It was so foggy here, I think I would have tripped over that raccoon.  I don't know why, but the small animals always scare me more than the big ones.  Isn't slurred speech another symptom of rabies?

SRD for me again.  I'm getting tired of typing that.  Hopefully, I'll be back to running 6 days this week.

PRs

5k:  21:36

HM: 1:39:59

FM: 3:38:29

[Competitive] Jerk

OK, I guess I'll start partaking in the dailies and hope to hang on for dear life.

Please put me down for some marathons for next year.

2/24 - Cowtown Marathon - Official 3:10 pacer

4/15 - Boston

4/21 - London

9/29 - Berlin

10/13 - Chicago

11/3 - NYC

Welcome Greg--hope to see you in Boston!

Got out this morning when it was still windy, snowing, and 28 degrees.  Sidewalks and roads were bad and I tried to stay on grass or gravel.  I shuffled through a little over five.  Glad I went then as the snow turned to rain, made the roads even worse, and then it warmed to where most of it melted.

After the run, I cleared out the garage so we could get all of our vehicles in there.  Worked on bills for about an hour, got cleaned up, went to a funeral, and now at work.

Just Keep "Tri" ing

Hi Marathoner Gals and Guys!!

Here's the skinny on me for the last few days (fast runners please no laughing when I talk about what is fast for me!).

Friday night did 6 miles that felt so amazing!! It was the first time I really tried to push since my 5k PR of Oct 27th.

Just been doing most of my miles easy in prep for the next cycle.

Anyway it was one of those days where everything just feels so great, I know we all love those!! First 3 miles had

about 800 feet of climbing, did that around a 9:30 pace and felt so strong even on the biggest hill. Didn't know after

all the climbing how much energy I would have left and the last 3 miles was rollers and  I was running about 8:20

and it felt completely effortless, like I could on on forever, not even breathing hard. Gotta love that!

Hubby was running with me (i.e. going ahead and looping back) as we neared the end of the run I yelled

"sub 4 will be my bitch"!LOL Hubby was a little shocked because I don't normally talk that way!LOL

Paid for it on Sunday though!LOL Walked the dog 5 miles on Sat and spent hours Christmas shopping.  My legs felt

like little stiff logs for the first 5 miles.  Went out for 20k, and  since I was so close I decided to do 21.1k and an

impromptu half-marathon on tired legs. Finished in 2:06. So it was  a nice training run.

CC, congrats on your marathon! Hope you were happy with your results.

Greg, welcome to the dialies, lots of nice folks here. I can vouch for Marco personally as we have met!Smile

SIAR, you are just darn cute! and you do readings at church and you are a fantastic athlete.......so many gals here

on the East Coast I could introduce you to!LOL  Are you still seeing that long distance girl?

Scott, I don't know if you saw my post of last week, talking about my sore foot after the marathon. Your's sounds

like something quite similar. Hope it is better soon.

Joe 1775, congrats on your marathon!

D.R., congrats on your race!

Julia, whoa you are fast! Congrats on your race.

As Marco can attest, the weather here today sucked!!!!! Ice pellets and snow for me, school closed........winter is here,,,

ugh........jealous of all you who get to race thru the winter, our last race of the season was Oct 27th and the first won't

be until April 27th.

Hi Marco, Hill, Pressing, Jodi, NTS and everyone else!

8  Marathons   26 Half Marathons  9 Duathlons  6 Triathlons

Marathons in Canada/USA/Bermuda/Ireland  Next country - Austria Sept 2014

Marathon 4:10:48 Half Marathon 1:57:44 10K 55:44 8k 42:27 5k 25:27

PressingOn

Hey all!  Got 1700 yards done at the pool, my hour on the trainer and my core/strength/balance workouts all done.  I did not make it a tri day.  

Greg - Welcome to the group! We always enjoy fresh blood.  You've got a lot of races planned quite far in advance.  I'm impressed.

Julia - Good job describing the way it works. You sound like an old pro.

SIAR - Yeah, those racoon's can be rather vicious. I certainly wouldn't want to mess with one. That said, a little while ago I saw a mama and her 3 little babies crossing the road in town. Cutest thing ever! Great job getting the miles in today. I bet it feels good to be running on a regular schedule again.

Scott - Glad the foot isn't any worse. You made me laugh at your comment about SIAR. I hope SIAR is laughing. You never know about him. Wink

SIAR (again) - Ha ha at your response to Scott. Smile

Joe - I think we can all be hard headed. I ran on PF for too long also. Strassburg sock did the trick for me.

Swift - Nice to see progress like that. Good for you! I didn't know Beaver's growled. Makes sense.

Hill - How long were you taking off of running? I only swam at the gym. I came home to do my bike trainer and the core/balance.

Marco - Five miles in those conditions is equal to 10 miles, I'd say.

Beth - Stop saying you're slow!  I'm a snail if you're slow and I don't want to be a snail. Smile Glad you had a good run. I think that's a great pace!

Just Keep "Tri" ing

HI P.E.!! I don't want you to be a snail either!LOL  I'm so impressed with your dedication to the swimming! I just

wish the pool wasn't 30 minutes from home. We sold our 2nd car after our  youngest stopped coming home

to work for the summers from university. So  it's a little difficult to get around sometimes, living in the burbs.

Summer is fine because I can bike but it's a 2 mile walk to the nearest bus stop, with limit scheduling,  so in the

winter that isn't the most appealing idea.

On the racoons, I despise the little buggers!LOL This year they took my entire grape harvest in one night. No

home made grape jelly this year.Sad

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

JOE...That's great that you were able to get through the PF. I'm constantly playing with different shoes to see what's best for mine.

NOTSWIFT...that's right, I had asked you about your mileage before. I'm sure the weight difference will help, plus having been to that level before I'd imagine settling back in will come more quickly. I think I like beavers more than raccoons, but i guess they're still better watched from afar.

HILL...I don't know if his speech was slurred or not - we didn't speak. It looks like this is the weather pattern for he next week or so too. Kinda boring. You'll be back to your mileage before you know it.

GREG...wow, looks like quite the calendar of marathon majors! Have you run them all before.

MARCO...sorry to see you had to attend a funeral. Are you expecting better weather tomorrow?

BETH...you're doing awesome with your running. Just running up 800 feet is tough, regardless of the pace. I think you've got the sub 4 in the bag. You would have had it last time if not for that freaky back thing. I still talk to the girl in D.C...I'll get to see her over Christmas which is nice.

PRESSING...1700m is a nice swim. What is your long repeat up to these days? I am really happy with running right now, but trying not to smile too broadly, lest I be disappointed. I bet your little coons were pretty adorable.

CC...have a good run/walk later.

Has anyone seen PATTI lately?

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

CompetitiveChik

Hey greg.....welcome! Im friends with you on the DM. I havent had time to do a RR yet. Got home a few hrs ago and had to clean. Ate dinner and now Im waitin for my friend so we can go run/walk.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

SIAR--The funeral was for the mother of one of my co-workers and we are supposed to get rain and in the 30s.  If I am going to run it will be short and in the morning because we will be in Bangor tomorrow.  Don't know if I'll go to work when we get back.  Depends on how late it is.

Just Keep "Tri" ing

BETH...you're doing awesome with your running. Just running up 800 feet is tough, regardless of the pace. I think you've got the sub 4 in the bag. You would have had it last time if not for that freaky back thing. I still talk to the girl in D.C...I'll get to see her over Christmas which is nice.

Has anyone seen PATTI lately?

Thanks SIAR, I still wonder what would have happened if I had raced it as opposed to going out and running

my training pace but I was too afraid my back would seize up on me. Training pace still got me a good sized PR,

but you know us runners.....always second guessing! Next time I'm saying the hell with it and just going for it,

all out!!!

I know Patti said she was taking an message board break for a few weeks.

Marco, hi neighbour!

CC, I think I remember that your daughter was graduating? did she stay close to home? our youngest lives 12 hours

away and although he goes to a great school and loves it there I miss him terribly and hate that he lives so far away.

He is coming home at Christmas for 10 days, it will be the longest visit in 2 years! I am soooooo happy. He's 21 and

6'4" but he is still my baby.

PressingOn

Beth - The pool is 30 minutes from me too but I have a car.  I can understand why not having a car would be difficult.  I'm really loving the swimming.  It's become my favorite of the three tri disciplines.  My least favorite is the bike.  So many things that stress me out about the bike... I can get lost, I can get hit by a car, I can get a flat, I can have something break on the bike, I can fall and break myself, I may have to ride on busy roads.  I don't like driving on busy roads let alone riding a bike on them.  Running and swimming I can go and relax during.  OH MY GOSH!  I just said I can relax while swimming.  Big grin  

SIAR - Hmmm ... let's see, today I swam 850 yards without resting.  The rest I broke up into 100 and 200 yard chunks.  Is that what you were asking?  Have you been able to make it to the pool?  

CC - Enjoy the recovery walk/run.  Having a friend should make it easier.  How are you feeling about the race today? 

Marco - Sorry about the funeral.

[Competitive] Jerk

Hey greg.....welcome! Im friends with you on the DM. I havent had time to do a RR yet. Got home a few hrs ago and had to clean. Ate dinner and now Im waitin for my friend so we can go run/walk.

Small world! The only thing weirder than that is when I replied to a craigslist ad for some dirt bikes for my kids and the guy was like "Hey, you're DM Greg!".

CompetitiveChik

Thanks SIAR, I still wonder what would have happened if I had raced it as opposed to going out and running

my training pace but I was too afraid my back would seize up on me. Training pace still got me a good sized PR,

but you know us runners.....always second guessing! Next time I'm saying the hell with it and just going for it,

all out!!!

I know Patti said she was taking an message board break for a few weeks.

Marco, hi neighbour!

CC, I think I remember that your daughter was graduating? did she stay close to home? our youngest lives 12 hours

away and although he goes to a great school and loves it there I miss him terribly and hate that he lives so far away.

He is coming home at Christmas for 10 days, it will be the longest visit in 2 years! I am soooooo happy. He's 21 and

6'4" but he is still my baby.

Thanks for asking. She stayed home. She's actually workin her way to join the Marines. She has to loose a few lbs before they'll take her but she seems pretty serious. 

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon