Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 1/20/13 (Read 9 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Are you looking to delete me Marco? Does the "censor" option do anything? I bet it felt great to open the stride up for a change.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Just finished my double.  It got up to 60 degrees this afternoon!  I got to run in shorts.  But, my stomach muscles still hurt.  Hope they feel better by tomorrow.  Football time!

Scott, I hardly even notice the sock when I wear it.  It's a very gentle stretch.  I usually wear it for about 20 minutes on each leg when I'm watching t.v.  I've slept in it before when I thought I was developing PF and it wasn't terrible.

Swift, Congrats on the new shoes!  I hope it helps with the knee woes.

SIAR, Kudos on the mileage PR!  You've really been putting in some great workouts.  Those mile splits are fast!  I'm sure your body will appreciate the recovery run tomorrow...  I checked the book and doubles twice a week are in there so it wasn't me being mean to myself.  Double on the weekend are fine - I can make time for them.  But, during the week, the last thing I want to do when I get home from work is head to the gym.  (I don't feel safe running at night in my neighborhood - the driving is crazy).  And, it usually leave me feeling energized after, so I end up staying up too late.  And, running during lunch isn't an option because our lunch is only supposed to be an hour and I can't fit it in including the shower in that time... Yeah, I was wearing it around my waist.  When I wore it on my hips, it was bouncing around too much.  I was thinking today that I should just stick with the handheld because I rarely need more water than I can carry.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...nice job with your double. I can understand why the weekend is a better double time for you. It was funny, I was looking at the logs of people that responded to your other thread and it didn't look like many had been running doubles lately. The advice seemed sound though, and I guess they all could be at different points in training. I hope you enjoyed those 60s and shorts - don't think that's going to be happening again soon! As for the FuelBelts, I think they bounce wherever they are. Mine usually rides up so far it's like having a bra on. Having a 10 and 20 oz option seems plenty for me, especially since I can use both if needed.

ETA thanks for the compliment on my training. I've been so happy to really get to train again...makes me want to burst out in song (which is good for no one but me, btw).

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Julia...nice job with your double. I can understand why the weekend is a better double time for you. It was funny, I was looking at the logs of people that responded to your other thread and it didn't look like many had been running doubles lately. The advice seemed sound though, and I guess they all could be at different points in training. I hope you enjoyed those 60s and shorts - don't think that's going to be happening again soon! As for the FuelBelts, I think they bounce wherever they are. Mine usually rides up so far it's like having a bra on. Having a 10 and 20 oz option seems plenty for me, especially since I can use both if needed.

ETA thanks for the compliment on my training. I've been so happy to really get to train again...makes me want to burst out in song (which is good for no one but me, btw).

Yeah, I suppose I could just log stalk some of the high mileage people and see how they're managing it.  Spaniel and Mikey are two of the more experienced runners that post in the main forum.  I'm not sure about their backgrounds but I think they both ran fairly competitive marathon times...  It seems like you were really hit hard with whatever you had, so you have every right to feel joyous about running.  It's okay to sing out loud when other people can't hear you.  Like when you're running.  I played "Good morning, Baltimore" on my run today and sang a little bit.  Working on willing them a victory today.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...I bet Ray Lewis is doing the same thing, song and everything. Seriously though, if you get them this win, I'm expecting big things from you for my race. As for me, I've ruptured two plantar fascia since joining these folks. One was bad enough that I was in a walking boot for over a month. It's been a lot of sub- optimal training for me, but I feel like I've worked very hard and smart to running well again, hence the joy.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

SIAR, Someone needs to do an updated version of Hairspray starring Ray Lewis - after the Superbowl...  That sounds like a major set back.  Enjoy feeling like you can run your best now.  So, are you trying to qualify for Boston in 2014?

SIAR--no, I wish this forum had a delete post function when I have a duplicate

Julia1971

All in for Boston

It was a nice 45 degrees this afternoon and I sloshed through 8 as the snow continues to melt.  However, the next few days it's supposed to be around zero or below.  It was the first time I could open up a bit and do some speedwork and my fastest run since Christmas Day.

45?!  That's a heat wave!  Glad you got to take the legs out for a spin.  But, I'm guessing all that slosh will turn to ice soon.  It sounds like we're all going to be grumbling by Tuesday.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

SIAR, Someone needs to do an updated version of Hairspray starring Ray Lewis - after the Superbowl...  That sounds like a major set back.  Enjoy feeling like you can run your best now.  So, are you trying to qualify for Boston in 2014?

You should get your production crew ready! I'm not that keen on Boston really, I just want my sub3! I'll have to decide where to go from there if I can get that, as right now I really don't know. Good game going here with the 49ers.

Marco..gotcha.

Has Broken Parts

Julia - The weather forecast of our area looks like some pretty chilly morning runs coming this week.  I'm jealous that you got to run in shorts today, good for you!

SIAR - Holy crap those are some fast times!  Congrats on the mileage PR.  I'm watching the football game too. I'm cheering for SF but I don't really have a dog in this fight.

Jen - Good job on the TM 8 after a long night. You are a tough one!

BS - I hope the 12 today went well. It must be nice running with your DH. My DW isn't a runner but we have done one race together. She walked and I ran. Even though we weren't with each other it was great fun.

Damaris - Enjoy the 5 tonight.

NTS - Congrats on sleeping in. I rarely can, even when I don't have to be up for anything.  Enjoy the recovery run.

Marco - I'm glad you got a bit of a thaw to stretch your legs today!

I just booked my hotel for the Shamrock in March.  Race day happens to be DW's birthday, so I went all out and booked us at a hotel/spa.  DW can get a massage while I'm running then meet me at the finish line.

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                      Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Just Keep "Tri" ing

BS - I hope the 12 today went well. It must be nice running with your DH. My DW isn't a runner but we have done one race together. She walked and I ran. Even though we weren't with each other it was great fun.

I should clarify........when I say run "together" I mean we start together and plan a meet up at the

bottom of our hill at the end...sometimes he will double back and check to see how I'm doing....

...my fast pace is slower than his slow pace and I wouldn't do that to him!LOL

But it is really nice to share our love of running/cycling and see each other on our runs and travel

to races together knowing we are both participating.Smile

That is awesome that you booked the spa hotel for your wife!!

I have edited to add an echo to Julia's comment of "happy wife, happy life". You seem like a great hubby

and Father.

And Julia is right it works both ways. Hubby and I have been together 33 years in March, married for

28.5.  We have survived building two homes together and raising two boys thru their teens while still

remaining each others best friend.

We have always supported each other 100%  in everything and think of how something would

affect the other before making any decisions. Neither of us has ever told the other one they "couldn't"

do something.

I initially told my friend I wasn't going on the Disney Princess trip because I didn't want to go an a trip

that cost that much with out hubby, that I would feel badly going without him. I hadn't even told him that

she asked until a few days later.  He told me to call her back and tell her I was going, that I deserved it.Smile

and it would be fun for me.

You can never go wrong thinking of your spouse's happiness first and it sounds like you are doing a

great job at that!

8  Marathons   26 Half Marathons  9 Duathlons  6 Triathlons

Marathons in Canada/USA/Bermuda/Ireland  Next country - Austria Sept 2014

Marathon 4:10:48 Half Marathon 1:57:44 10K 55:44 8k 42:27 5k 25:27

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Just B.S., That's funny you clarified.  That's what I usually mean when I say I'm running a race with someone.

Scott, You seem to be following the "happy wife, happy life" philosophy.  Although, it seems to work both ways since she made you waffles the other day.  Aw, so sweet...  Yeah, it was nice and sunny today but still windy.  Highs in the mid 20s on Tuesday, though.  Brrrr!

SIAR, I hear ya.  Sub-3 first...   I was kinda "meh" about the NFC game.  I don't know those teams as well.  Low scoring first half is good for the Ravens, I think.

Has Broken Parts

I should clarify........when I say run "together" I mean we start together and plan a meet up at the

bottom of our hill at the end...sometimes he will double back and check to see how I'm doing....

...my fast pace is slower than his slow pace and I wouldn't do that to him!LOL

But it is really nice to share our love of running/cycling and see each other on our runs and travel

to races together knowing we are both participating.Smile

That is awesome that you booked the spa hotel for your wife!!

I have edited to add an echo to Julia's comment of "happy wife, happy life". You seem like a great hubby

and Father.

And Julia is right it works both ways. Hubby and I have been together 33 years in March, married for

28.5.  We have survived building two homes together and raising two boys thru their teens while still

remaining each others best friend.

We have always supported each other 100%  in everything and think of how something would

affect the other before making any decisions. Neither of us has ever told the other one they "couldn't"

do something.

I initially told my friend I wasn't going on the Disney Princess trip because I didn't want to go an a trip

that cost that much with out hubby, that I would feel badly going without him. I hadn't even told him that

she asked until a few days later.  He told me to call her back and tell her I was going, that I deserved it.Smile

and it would be fun for me.

You can never go wrong thinking of your spouse's happiness first and it sounds like you are doing a

great job at that!

Thanks for the kind words Beth. We've been together for a long time too. Married for 21 years last August but we were together for 6 years before that.  We were just kids when we met and I honestly can't imagine a life without her in it.

I agree with everything you said. We are still together because we support each other in everything.  DW has always supported my running. I never would have run my first marathon if it wasn't for her encouragement.

It's great that your hubby insisted you go on the cruise!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
                            Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scott...you're gonna make us single folk jealous Smile. Seriously though, your relationship sounds awesome. I didn't have a favorite in either game myself...just happy to be lazy and watch.

Beth...you and your DH are a great example too...always fun to read all that you share together.

Julia..I just won't say anything about this game so I don't jinx it...ETA starting to believe in you! Must be nice to see your team actually win!

Julia1971

All in for Boston

SIAR, I kinda can't believe it myself.  So happy for Baltimore.  It's not quite Detroit, but...  I'm glad the city has something to feel good about.  And, they're not really my team.  But as a Washingtonian, I reserve the right to cheer for Baltimore (according to the Census, we're the same metro area) or make fun of them according to my mood.

Scott, +1 to SIAR's sentiment that you make us single folks jealous.  It sounds like you have a wonderful relationship.