Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 2-18-13 (Read 14 times)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

I waited for the "heat of the day" to do an interval workout - 12 miles with 6x0.75mi @ 5K pace with full recoveries.  I'd been thinking all day that my legs feel too fresh so I wanted to do a hard workout.  I got a chance to run errands in the morning.  REI was having a good sale.  I picked up a fleece vest and jacket that might be good for running.  And, of course, I bought more Nuun.  Gotta get my electrolytes in.  Smile

I think I'm giving up on the idea of getting a tune-up race in.  I'm kinda disappointed, but in the end, I don't think it'll worth rearranging my entire schedule this close to race day to squeeze one in.  So, I think I'm going to shoot for sub-3:18.

Hmm, Chicago Marathon, eh.  Do I want to run that?  I have family in Chicago.  It would be a good excuse to visit them...

Marco and Just B.S., How are you holding up in the blizzard?

Scott, We're down to 25 days!  I am planning to shorten my taper to just 2 weeks, so I have two more long runs in my schedule...  Have you thought much about transportation?  I think they're charging for parking at RFK.  I'm thinking I'll take the Metro downtown and then am flirting with getting a cab or something home.

JoJo, Nice job on the 14 miler.  I hope it warmed up for you...  I'm not the best race pace predictor, as you can tell from my own goal marathon pace angst but I can give it a shot.  What are the courses like?

SIAR, I think once I gave up on trying to find something to match my ugly shoes, finding a race day outfit got easier.  Plus, it's hard to say what the weather will be like.  In years past, it's been in the high 30s/low 40s at the start and warmed to the 50s or 60s.  I'm thinking singlet and arm warmers...  Red heads aren't supposed to wear red, right?  Why is that?  I think you look fine in your av... I work for the federal government, so I get all the holidays off.

D_R, Ooooh.  Massage.  That sounds divine.  I'm jealous.

RVD, Have you tried using heat before your workouts to warm up that hamstring?  A couple marathon cycles ago (I forget what was bothering me - maybe my quad?), but I would boil one of those ice packs that was safe for boiling and apply it to my leg with an ace bandage before my runs to loosen it up.  Not sure if it helped but it felt nice.  Smile

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

jackdyl11

THERE it is!! A little over 8 miles at 6:52 pace.  Felt like floating for most of it, by the end totally getting that more horse than rider feeling. Went through 8 miles in 54:55.  I wonder if I can flatten the course out, put on some flats, and go 20% faster to get under 55 in 5 weeks at CB?  Now I'm excited again.  I'm a total manic runner!!

jojo61397

Half flat fast, full hilly.  Been incorporating hills in all runs.

Jodi

PR:

Half: 1:48 (March 3rd, 2013)

Full: 4:05:40 (March 17th, 2013)

2013/2014 Goals:

Sub-4:00 hour Marathon

Sub- 125 pounds
        Sub- 1:45 hour half.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Now I'm excited again.  I'm a total manic runner!!

Yeah, you are!  So happy to see you had a great run today.

JoJo, Just going off the information in your signature, I would think sub-1:50 for a fast, flat half should be fine if you're running 8:30 paces up to 15 miles easy.  I'd be more conservative on the hilly full, though.  I am not a hill runner, so, that could be why I'm advising caution.  But, I find they really take their toll in a marathon - particularly if they're in the later half.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Evening all.  I got a double in today, 6.46 miles this morning at recovery pace, and then 6 evening miles at easy pace.

Julia...Nice job on your run today.  After Jack mentioned him, I was reading about Canova yesterday.  Among other things, his philosophy is that we should take advantage of those days when our legs are feeling fresh.  It looks like that's exactly what you did!  I miss living by an REI.  I used to do better in the store than I do online, especially considering that they never have my size when they do the big online sales.  It seemed like finding an indicator race (I like that term better than tune-up, at least for me, because I'm really just trying to gauge my fitness) was becoming more of a hassle than it was worth, so I'd imagine your kinda relieved just to let it go.  Were you initially thinking of maybe a 3:15?  You can almost make that pace adjustment on the fly if you go out at 3:18 pace and are feeling good.  As for the red hair, most reds and oranges just don't look good on us.  We're like our race really.

Jack...Sweet!  Very happy to see that you had a good one.  I've never heard that horse/rider phrase, but I liked it.  The ups and downs of running can be pretty crazy sometimes.  I did a bunch of reading on Canova.  I feel silly for not knowing him or his runners.  I love his idea about starting every run easily and then running a workout based on how one feels, but I'm not knowledgeable enough yet to apply that to my own training.

Jodi...That sounds like a great workout your husband had you get in.  Since he probably knows your training pretty well, what are his thoughts?  I just don't feel like I've seen enough of your training this time to really offer much.  I'd be willing to bet that you can surprise yourself though as much as your training paces seem to be improving.

Docket...Hey, congrats again on the great marathon PR, and for beating the basketball guy Smile  Enjoy that busy rest day of yours.  I hope all is well with kitty.

RVD...Man, you can't buy a break huh?  Sorry that you're still having trouble.  Would you consider just running easy miles to get yourself to the race start healthy?  I did that once when I was struggling with injuries and still had a pretty good race.  My theory is just that all those MP miles are essentially "in the bank," and you wouldn't really lose them by getting your volume up and just running easily.  It's a hard decision to make, but I just though I'd throw that out for you to consider.  Congrats on your high mileage week too btw.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Finally PRed!!!

Hi everyone!

JenRosie: Great job with your early 10.

Scott: Hope you enjoyed the easy 7.

marco, B.S.: Hope the weather gets better soon.

jojo: Great job with the 14 at HMP and MP!  I'm not really good at predicting proper pace goals, barely feel qualified to decide my own, but sub 3:55 is what I'll be shooting for, unless we get crazy hot weather or something. Not sure yet if I'll try to run with the 3:55 pace group--may get one of Greg Maclin's pace bands and go by that.

Docket: Enjoy the well-deserved rest, massage sounds nice!

RVD: Hope the hammy is better soon.

Julia: Great job with your intervals. Sub-3:18 would be awesome!

jack: Sounds like a great run!

I ran just over 5 very easy miles this afternoon. It was a little breezy but very pleasant, temps in 50s (nice warmup after being in the 20s when I got up this morning).

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: x-posted--Great job with your double!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Swift...glad you had some nice weather for your easy 5.  We got up to the low 40s here, but it was so windy that it was still cold.  I like the idea of having the pace band and just keeping an eye on the pace group...it's too easy to blindly follow a pacer and get in trouble if they're not good, in my opinion.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

Good to know!

"Jodi, enjoy your long run.  Do you plan on being active here during Lent?  Hope you do.  If not, let me know a way to contact you so I don't worry! Joking"

Yes, I will be on here more often during Lent.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

All in for Boston

SIAR, Congrats on the double.  You're just motoring along...  I was originally thinking sub-3:15.  But, I think 3:18 would be great.  And, since Pfitz has you run the first half faster than the second and both my National Marathons have been even splits, I could shave a minute or two off that time if I'm feeling good.  But, I really just a) want the race to happen and b) feel like I ran it well...  I think there must be some tones of red that work.  I'm sure I've seen red-heads in red.

Swift, 50 degrees sounds pretty good, too.  Between you and D_R's message, my jealousy meter is off the charts right now.

Finally PRed!!!

SIAR: Yes, I  like Greg Maclin's pace bands, since they're based on the elevation profile. To get under 3:55, I will really need to be disciplined about my pacing, and hit the downhill and uphill sections correctly. The 3:55 pacer is actually a guy I kind of know from my Wed night group runs, so maybe I should try to talk to him about his strategy, but I'm also concerned that trying to stay with a large group (if it turns out to be a large group) might be tricky.

jackdyl11

SIAR - (Sorry for the excessively long post) That's from Once a Runner, which is "the best novel ever written about running" according to Runner's World.  It's a fictional story about a top 70's collegiate miler (Cassidy) who trains with an Olympic Gold medalist (Denton).  He becomes a hermit and spends a winter preparing for a race against John Walker, the (actual) mile world record holder and the first person to run a mile under 3:50.  It's not exactly a literary masterpiece, but it gets a bunch of stuff right about running.  The author was a top collegiate runner.  This is part of the "More Horse than Rider" chapter.

That morning Denton was not talkative, so Cassidy locked into a steady pace, allowing his mind to slip into the pleasant half-conscious neutral state that all runners develop; he was soon lost in the cool gray isolation of the fog.

The rumbling brought him out of it. He was tensing for the shock of big cold drops when he looked up and saw a herd of horses and ponies charging toward the fence in a pasture across from them. Denton said nothing.

The herd reached the fence, turned sharply to the right, and proceeded parallel to the runners at the same pace, looking straight ahead and running at a slow gallop with what appeared to be considerable pleasure. When they reached the corner of their pasture, they turned again and galloped off in a straight line directly away from the runners, disappearing as quickly as the had come. In a few seconds even the pounding of the hooves was gone.

Cassidy tottered. Could he have seen that?

"Was that an actual occurrence?" he asked.

"Damned if I know," said Denton.

"Do you suppose it was a coincidence?"

"Not a chance. Happens every time I run this course early. They always match my pace exactly. They were running with us."

"Riderless horses in the fog," Cassidy said mysteriously. "Do you suppose it's an omen of some kind?"

"Mountless riders in the mist," Denton said just as mysteriously. "That's what we are to them. Do you suppose we are omens?"

Cassidy sucked on his lower lip and said nothing. There are times, he thought, when you can't get away with anything.

Ok, but my favorite part is this:

And he tired quickly of the standard party fare that goes: "You run twenty miles? Without stopping? I couldn't run twenty feet, har har har har . . ." He would have to bite his tongue to keep from saying that it had been real humorous the first thousand times he had heard it. He had forgotten what it was like, this thing with the stupid jokes.  And too there were the questions: What did he eat? Did he believe in isometrics? Isotonics? Ice and heat? How about aerobics, est, ESP, STP? What did he have to say about yoga, yogurt, Yogi Berra? What was his pulse rate, his blood pressure, his time for the hundred-yard dash? What was the secret, they wanted to know; in a thousand different ways they wanted to know The Secret. And not one of them was prepared, truly prepared, to believe that it had not so much to do with chemicals and zippy mental tricks as with that most unprofound and sometimes heartrending process of removing, molecule by molecule, the very tough rubber that comprised the bottoms of his training shoes. The Trial of Miles; Miles of Trials. How could they be expected to understand that?

The book can get a bit overblown at times, but that passage will get me running.