Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner 1/11/13 (Read 195 times)

Just Keep "Tri" ing

I had one of those runs that we all love when it happens. Just a lot slower than many of you.

It was a perfect day. 30F, no wind, sunny.

Started with a 1km warm up. Then did 5 miles with 600 foot of gain in 46:00 minutes.

Strong and that "I'm working it but it feels easy" feeling we all love when it happens.

Then a nice slow few miles to finish.  It was wonderful.

8  Marathons   26 Half Marathons  9 Duathlons  6 Triathlons

Marathons in Canada/USA/Bermuda/Ireland  Next country - Austria Sept 2014

Marathon 4:10:48 Half Marathon 1:57:44 10K 55:44 8k 42:27 5k 25:27

PressingOn

Beth - I live in WA state.  It's just shy of a 1/4 mile one direction  up (or down) the service drive and our driveway.  The photo's of the driveway are only the lower 1/4 bottom of it. Yes, when you've described your driveway it's reminded me of ours. We'll have been in this home a year as of April.  Before that we were in town.  I love living out here with all the wildlife!  It is so quiet and peaceful and, oh yes, hilly.  But unlike you, I can drive 15 minutes to the old rail to trails where it is (mostly) level if I want an easier run.  Big grin

SIAR - Oops!  Cprensch is me!  I forgot I'd logged in with Firefox instead of through Google.  Huh, guess it set me up with a new account and I didn't even notice.  Duh.  Sorry about that.  Actually, I'm going incognito to see how the group welcomes newcomer's.  You passed with flying colors!  Wink

Hmm ... I didn't take notes and now I'm on page 3 with no scroll down ability.  Okay, no more personals.  Sorry.  My brain is having a hard time focusing.  I'm afraid the fatigue has evolved into a cold.  I'm praying it stays on that level and doesn't inform me it's really the flu.  I so badly still want to go to swim clinic but will make the wise choice and skip.  I doubt all my teammates would appreciate the spread of germs.  They don't want to get sidelined by illness anymore than I do!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Pressing...Sneaky, very sneaky!  Hope you feel better.

Beth...So glad you had a nice run.  This nice weather is going to spoil us all though!

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Whoo hoo!  The weekend is here!

CC, I love Olive Garden.  The never ending salad bowl and bread basket is great...  It sounds like you have a fun race planned.

Swift, Being comfortably able to push the pace in tempos is a great sign that your overall aerobic conditioning is improving.  Smile  And, they did catch the guy.  It was 3 guys.  And according to the news report, they flashed their gun at another runner but didn't mug him.  Craziness.

RVD, Thanks for the info about your race fueling.  I might try some of those products and the FlipBelt.  I haven't even started thinking about it, yet, but if I want to experiment with stuff, I probably should start soon since my goal race is 2 months away now.

Jack,  LOL - "Vampire miles"...  Hope you feel better and don't have the flu that's going around.  I might start wearing my flats more often, too...  I put gels and gummies in my bra straps for races.  But, I imagine you don't want to go that route.  Wink  I might try a classier option like a Spi-Belt in March since I'll probably be a front runner and don't want that showing up in pictures.

Just B.S., Thanks for the tutorial on uploading pictures.  This old lady appreciates it.  Wink  Small town life is starting to sound better by the minute.  On my commute home, the Metro train on the opposite platform opened the wrong doors.  So, if anyone had been leaning on those doors, they would have fallen out of the train!  Again - scary.  And, not only do you take good pictures but you have a great smile.

Pressing, Hope you're energy improves.  There is that flu out there looming.  There are so many sickies in the office or out right now it's kind of disconcerting...  Beautiful pictures!  Wow.  But, I don't want it to snow here so I'll just enjoy your pictures instead.

Marco, Sorry to hear you're swamped with work and Canada isn't living up to their snow/ice clearing duties.  I have a beef with them sending us their geese every winter.

SIAR, Yeah, it was a busy day - we hit 3 pages...  Sounds like that was a great recovery run...  So, you say, "pop" - that's midwest, right?  I'm a "soda" person that finds "pop" funny.  Two of my sisters live in Chicago and are now "pop" people.  Yes, Nuun is nothing but artificial everything.  But, I'm in a constant state of dehydration because I don't like to drink plain water.  I've been hoping Nuun will help me drink more.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Julia...Ohio plus Florida plus Chicago plus Denver means I have no clue what I am and actually use pop and soda interchangeably. I think that confuses people, or at least perplexes them. I never hydrate sufficiently either. I'm trying to be good tonight for my race tomorrow though.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Julia...Ohio plus Florida plus Chicago plus Denver means I have no clue what I am and actually use pop and soda interchangeably. I think that confuses people, or at least perplexes them. I never hydrate sufficiently either. I'm trying to be good tonight for my race tomorrow though.

How far are you racing tomorrow?  I think I missed that... So, exciting that so many people are racing this weekend.  I'm doing a 20 tomorrow - my first of this training cycle.  I'm also being good tonight but have a party to go to tomorrow assuming I'm able to walk.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

How far are you racing tomorrow?  I think I missed that... So, exciting that so many people are racing this weekend.  I'm doing a 20 tomorrow - my first of this training cycle.  I'm also being good tonight but have a party to go to tomorrow assuming I'm able to walk.

It's a 5 mile race. I didn't even know about it until Wednesday, but from the looks of the postings on it, it should be fairly competitive. I think it's mostly uphill, so I'll take anything under 32:00, though I'd prefer closer to 31. I'm planning on 5mi before and then 5 more after. That first 20 of a cycle is always a little nerve wracking, at least for me. You've done enough long and mid-week long runs that I bet you'll be in 5" pumps for that party without a second thought.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

It's a 5 mile race. I didn't even know about it until Wednesday, but from the looks of the postings on it, it should be fairly competitive. I think it's mostly uphill, so I'll take anything under 32:00, though I'd prefer closer to 31. I'm planning on 5mi before and then 5 more after. That first 20 of a cycle is always a little nerve wracking, at least for me. You've done enough long and mid-week long runs that I bet you'll be in 5" pumps for that party without a second thought.

Oh, right.  You posted about this yesterday.  Yeah, sub-32 sounds good considering the other mileage...  I LOL'ed at 5" pumps.  I'm pretty sure 2" heels are my max.  I don't know how woman walk in those.  But, I do like to dress up.  I might have to sneak in a shopping trip.  Again, assuming I'm walking.  Smile

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Oh, right.  You posted about this yesterday.  Yeah, sub-32 sounds good considering the other mileage...  I LOL'ed at 5" pumps.  I'm pretty sure 2" heels are my max.  I don't know how woman walk in those.  But, I do like to dress up.  I might have to sneak in a shopping trip.  Again, assuming I'm walking.  Smile

I kinda feel pressure to go fast bc it's the first time I'm doing one of our group's races. I'm afraid they think I'm faster than I am. I really don't want to go redline with the effort. I had gotten the sense from your posts that you, like any good city girl, enjoyed your shopping. And the 2" heels won't total destroy my mental image of your party attire ha. Speaking of ladies attire, I likened the feeling of my shoes today to what women must mean when they talk about wearing "granny panties.". A sexy, fast thong my shoes were not!

Julia1971

All in for Boston

I kinda feel pressure to go fast bc it's the first time I'm doing one of our group's races. I'm afraid they think I'm faster than I am. I really don't want to go redline with the effort. I had gotten the sense from your posts that you, like any good city girl, enjoyed your shopping. And the 2" heels won't total destroy my mental image of your party attire ha. Speaking of ladies attire, I likened the feeling of my shoes today to what women must mean when they talk about wearing "granny panties.". A sexy, fast thong my shoes were not!

You have to keep your long-term goal in mind.  I *love* to tell the story about my first training program.  I wanted to go sub-50 in a 10K, so I joined the 10K training the local road running group was organizing.  It was our coach, me, and like 4 or 5 guys.  Every week, we'd run a long run together.  I lagged way behind the guys.  Sometimes, they'd slow or wait for me so I wasn't so far behind.  I felt bad.  Then, race day came.  (I had already run sub-50 in a warm up race but still wanted to do well)...  Guess who had the fastest time of the group?  That's right - me!  Turns out, I was the only one consistently doing the workouts the coach gave us during the week so that's why I was too tired to keep up with them.  Do your thing and don't worry about what they might think about this 5 miler...  All articles of clothing have their function.  Including "granny panties".  And, that's all I'm going to say about that.  Smile  I'm thinking of getting a shoe fitting this weekend, though.  I saw on the main board that Mizuno is changing all their shoes so I'm thinking it might be time to explore other options.  Please don't let the woman's version of my new shoe be electric pink!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

You have to keep your long-term goal in mind.  I *love* to tell the story about my first training program.  I wanted to go sub-50 in a 10K, so I joined the 10K training the local road running group was organizing.  It was our coach, me, and like 4 or 5 guys.  Every week, we'd run a long run together.  I lagged way behind the guys.  Sometimes, they'd slow or wait for me so I wasn't so far behind.  I felt bad.  Then, race day came.  (I had already run sub-50 in a warm up race but still wanted to do well)...  Guess who had the fastest time of the group?  That's right - me!  Turns out, I was the only one consistently doing the workouts the coach gave us during the week so that's why I was too tired to keep up with them.  Do your thing and don't worry about what they might think about this 5 miler...  All articles of clothing have their function.  Including "granny panties".  And, that's all I'm going to say about that.  Smile  I'm thinking of getting a shoe fitting this weekend, though.  I saw on the main board that Mizuno is changing all their shoes so I'm thinking it might be time to explore other options.  Please don't let the woman's version of my new shoe be electric pink!

Cool story about your running group. I bet you LOVED beating them, especially since they probably acted as though though they were doing the workouts you really did. I definitely hear your point about doing what I need to for my own training. I'll at least behave by going out conservatively. As for clothing functions, I'll say that I appreciated my shoes today because the kept me from being more frisky with my pace than I wanted to be Smile. I think I could do some electric pink shoes. The Mizuno Ronins I'm looking at are a weak pale blue...more girly than pink.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Cool story about your running group. I bet you LOVED beating them, especially since they probably acted as though though they were doing the workouts you really did. I definitely hear your point about doing what I need to for my own training. I'll at least behave by going out conservatively. As for clothing functions, I'll say that I appreciated my shoes today because the kept me from being more frisky with my pace than I wanted to be Smile. I think I could do some electric pink shoes. The Mizuno Ronins I'm looking at are a weak pale blue...more girly than pink.

I dare you to be more girly than this:  (Thanks Just B.S.!)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Okay, that heart charm at the bottom really crosses the line when it comes to what I could pull off ha. Time for my pre-race rest. I feel like we are the last two up at the slumber party!