November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Good morning.

It's 23 degrees (windchill 10) outside so I'm doing a 15 miler on the treadmill today.  I have a footpod that I can use to calibrate distance, but I'm going to wear my heart rate monitor and might run by time and effort instead.  So, I might end up shorter than 15.  I'm not too tired.  I think most of the DOMS from the GMP run on Saturday has worn off.  But, the next 5 weeks are going to be tough - I'll be hitting some of my highest overall mileage and long runs.  I'm going to have to start getting more disciplined about sleeping and time management.

Hope everyone has a good one!

Finally PRed!!!

Morning!

Julia: good luck with the 15 on the TM.

I'd had a short recovery run planned for today, but decided against it. May do a little upper-body work (just light stuff with dumbbells) along  with my planks.

Have a great day everyone!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Has Broken Parts

Good Morning!

Julia - Good luck with the TM 15.

NTS - Enjoy the down day!

I'm working from home today so I'm putting off my 11 miler until this afternoon.  The high temp is supposed to be in the mid 20's with 18MPH wind gusts.  I'll probably end up wearing 10 pounds of layers!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
          Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Bad Ass

Morning!  13 miles coming up tonight.

Julia,  hope the 15ish goes well.

Scott, enjoy the 11.

swift, enjoy the recovery run.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Just Keep "Tri" ing

Morning dailies!!! Guess what! No swimming today!LOL

Its going to be a "feels like" of -11F for my 8 mile this afternoon.......I'll be dreaming of the post

swim hot tub at the aquatic centre when I'm running!

Julia, good luck on 16 miles on the treadmills. 5 layers of clothing for -11 is easier on my head

than 16 miles on the treadmill!!

NTS, congrats on your run yesterday! I know you weren't 100% pleased but you got an AG award and

that is always a good thing!

Scott and D.R., enjoy your runs!!

QOTD: from yesterday

I don't do recovery runs. I rest or cycle instead. I only ever run 4 days/week but I cycle many miles instead

of that extra run day.  After all these years of running long distance I know that I need to do what my body tells

me and what works for me. I don't use plans, I make my own,  I never run more than 40mpw, I run more fast

miles than people  say you are supposed to, I do my long runs faster than you are supposed to  BUT I have

met my goals for every half or full marathon I've done. I have never had a second half of a marathon more than

11 minutes positive split and that was on the first one which  I ran in  4:39 at age 48 with an elevation gain

of 1,800 on 35mpw.

Since then on 4 more marathons my highest positive split was 6 minutes and in Sept in a downpour for the

entire marathon my positive split was 3:14

I ran a  7 minute PR for my 4:20 in September, 12 weeks short of age 51.  And I havent' had an injury in 7 years.

I could run more but that would take too much time away from the other things I love to do.

I do get a little annoyed when I see people saying "you can't run a decent marathon on 40mpw" or "cycling

doesn't help marathon training" or "you have to run 5 days/week to train for a marathon"  ,,,,,,,generalities like that

bother me because no one can know what works for someone else.

I think I have gained more from listening to my body that going by "canned' plans. It works for me so I will keep

doing it until it doesnt work anymore and then figure out something else.

Have a good one dailies!!

8  Marathons   26 Half Marathons  9 Duathlons  6 Triathlons

Marathons in Canada/USA/Bermuda/Ireland  Next country - Austria Sept 2014

Marathon 4:10:48 Half Marathon 1:57:44 10K 55:44 8k 42:27 5k 25:27

Busy at work and will try to check back later.  7.1 done in 6F.

Got up at 0315 to get ready to go out for my interval session, but then I noticed that the bushes were all leaning sideways.  Seems it was 11F with windchill.  So, back to bed for a couple of hours and then hit the treadmill for the intervals after I got to work.  Did  2wu+6(800@5kw400r)+2cd, but can never be sure about the pace on a treadmill.  Don't know how the people up north do it.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

The treadmill run went well. I worry that I run too slow on the treadmill sometimes and the run did feel hard at times. But the pace from my footpod and readings from my HR seem to indicate it was where I want to be. Had to dash straight to work but had stashed a Luna bar in my bag so was sure to eat something.

RVD, I struggle with pace on the treadmill, too, which is why I went with footpod and HR monitor. It's a lot of gadgetry but I love my gadgets.

Marco, Did you always live in cold places? Any advice for acclimating? It's supposed to be sub-freezing here all week. Not sure I can do 4 days of treadmill.

Just B.S., One of the great things about RA is that over time, my prejudices and generalities about running have fallen away. People run successful marathon following all type of plans and non-plans... The treadmill doesn't bother me so much. I have a high tolerance for boredom. Smile. I don't have cable at home so I enjoy watching shows I don't normally get to see. And people watching. And watching the city wake up through the window.

D_R, Have a great run tonight!

Scott, You've braver than I. Have fun layering.

Swift, Enjoy the easy day.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hi everybody.  I guess I joined the  "more miles than degrees" club today.  It was 8, and I ran 11.68 at easy pace.  Nothing really felt cold, but I did have some funny ice hanging off my eyebrows, eyelashes, and beard .  The run did feel a little harder than I would have liked, so I'll let how I feel dictate my workout for tomorrow.  It's a double day, so it'll either be (quality, easy) or (easy, easy) based on how well I recover.  Like Julia was mentioning, this week marks my move out of my "introductory phase" and into my "fundamental phase."  I didn't get any graduation gifts though Sad

Julia...Glad you were able to get the TM run done and felt good about it.  I run so much more slowly on the TM.  About a 9:13 pace on that thing feels like easy pace to me, which is about 1:15 slower than my outdoor easy pace.  That does sound like a lot of gadgetry you had going...I'm kinda visualizing you hooked up to one of those VO2 max test type machines.  Speaking of picturing you...is that you in your avatar pic here?

NotSwift...Thanks for sharing the RR last night.  It seems like training through a race is a very hit or miss proposition...sometimes it yields a great time, and others the mind is willing but the body isn't.  Other things play a part too, like niggling pains and the course.  I think the fact that you won your AG with a time you weren't that pleased with says a lot, and should mean great things for your races to come.  I hope the rest day helps with the knee.

Scott...10lbs of layers?  You go Michelin Man!  I'm perpetually over-dressed and always surprised how little I need, but these are some wicked temps we're dealing with for sure.  Good luck!

Docket...Longest run in a while for you, right?  Hope it goes well.

Beth...uh oh, I think I may have hit a nerve with yesterday's question?  Everything I read, especially in Running Times (which focuses a lot on masters runners) says that cross training and strength training are vital to running well for masters.  I think your experience bears that out without question.  I may find that even in my AG that variety in training is a better way to go, but right now I really want to see where I can get with this kind of mileage.  To do that, I feel like I need recovery run mileage as opposed to true rest.  The sad thing is, I can kinda see my Ironman goal for Feb. going out the window with lack of swimming and biking I'm getting in.

Marco...Glad you got some miles in even though you're so busy.  Thanks for checking in.

RVD...Yikes, that's early!  The TM plan sounds better to me too, and I'm not even the one doing it.  Those 800s should be a good workout later.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

fake it till you make it

Cold temps and wind really don't drive me indoors- and this is in MN where we are currently not getting above zero for the day, and that's not even taking the windchill into account.  If I dress right I stay comfortable.  My key things are wool socks (I use smartwool ski socks), compression shorts under my tights (keeps my rear end from freezing Blush), a lightweight wind jacket over whatever warm shirts I wear, warm mittens- I like my northface ski mitts, a wicking hat that covers the ears, and a neoprene mask that covers nose/chin.  It's a lot of stuff to put on but it works.  Even when the temps seem intimidating I find that once I'm a mile in I'm pretty comfortable.  Some folks here will also put duct tape over the toe box of their shoes to keep out cold/wind/snow but I find the wool socks do the trick for me.

What does make me run indoors are times when my huz is out of town and I'm home with kids.  My youngest is not school-age yet but our gym has an awesome daycare (complete with kid-sized exercise bikes, treadmills, and elliptical- too cute!) and that's the only way I get to run when I'm the only parent home unless I want to pay a sitter.

I had the same workout as RVD today (800m repeats).  Had to do it on the treadmill.  I worry about the 'mill not being as good as outdoors or a track but I figure at this point for me the important thing is the hard effort and fast leg turnover- hitting a pace is nice but not whats going to make or break the workout.

Just Keep "Tri" ing

SIAR, actually I didn't read your response or initial question so it's not a response to anything you said. J

ust saw that it was THE QOTD and yes it is a sore spot for me.

I see repeatedly on these forums and over the RW that one "has to" to do such and such to run a good

marathon,,,,,,,,or if they don't run XXX miles during training they are bound to tank in the 2nd half.....or that

you need to run your long runs a XXX pace....there sometimes seems to be a persavive attitude that those

running lower miles or those who don't go with the mainstream on those theories  don't know what they are

talking about in relation to training or running marathons.

I've seen many people who espouse those theories who don't even come near by own PR's and not at

my age...........not that my times are anything to crow about!LOL

I do realize that if one wants to run "fast" marathons that they need to run higher miles but given my own

experience, my hubby's (who is a 3:30 marathoner and never runs more than 40mpw) I know 100% that

no one rule applies to everyone and sometimes people are better off finding what works best for them in

their own way.

I know that if I had been on these or RW forums when I did my first full in 4:39 on 35mpw average I would

have been scared to death to even go run it. Instead I had confidence in my training paces and what

I KNEW I could do and I did it!

8  Marathons   26 Half Marathons  9 Duathlons  6 Triathlons

Marathons in Canada/USA/Bermuda/Ireland  Next country - Austria Sept 2014

Marathon 4:10:48 Half Marathon 1:57:44 10K 55:44 8k 42:27 5k 25:27

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Beth...It was actually my question, and I posted it because I was concerned that runs I was calling "recovery" weren't really giving me enough recovery.  I was in the same boat as your husband...ran a 3:30 first marathon by running similar or even fewer miles than he did.

I agree that there is some mileage pressure on these forums, or at least a tendency to judge folks based on how much they run.  Part of that, though, is that these are running and not multisport forums.  Because of that, I assume that people don't understand the benefits of swimming or cycling because they don't do them.  Also, saying "run more" is kinda a cop-out when it comes to giving advice about improving, but it is the default advice in these parts.

Jen...Your winter running gear sounds about like what I had on today.  I debated over socks, but went with ski socks and was perfectly content in them.  I wear a pretty thin sock typically, so I was happy to find that I had a ski sock that wasn't very bulky.  Other than that, the only difference is the top.  I have a couple gortex running jackets that I wear when it gets like this, and then I usually just do one layer underneath.  Your way works too though!  Great job getting your 800s in on the TM.  I completely agree with your thoughts on getting the legs used to turning over being the important thing at this point in training.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Bad Ass

you mean, not counting the marathon and HM last weekend? Joking

Hi everybody.  I guess I joined the  "more miles than degrees" club today.  It was 8, and I ran 11.68 at easy pace.  Nothing really felt cold, but I did have some funny ice hanging off my eyebrows, eyelashes, and beard .  The run did feel a little harder than I would have liked, so I'll let how I feel dictate my workout for tomorrow.  It's a double day, so it'll either be (quality, easy) or (easy, easy) based on how well I recover.  Like Julia was mentioning, this week marks my move out of my "introductory phase" and into my "fundamental phase."  I didn't get any graduation gifts though Sad

Julia...Glad you were able to get the TM run done and felt good about it.  I run so much more slowly on the TM.  About a 9:13 pace on that thing feels like easy pace to me, which is about 1:15 slower than my outdoor easy pace.  That does sound like a lot of gadgetry you had going...I'm kinda visualizing you hooked up to one of those VO2 max test type machines.  Speaking of picturing you...is that you in your avatar pic here?

NotSwift...Thanks for sharing the RR last night.  It seems like training through a race is a very hit or miss proposition...sometimes it yields a great time, and others the mind is willing but the body isn't.  Other things play a part too, like niggling pains and the course.  I think the fact that you won your AG with a time you weren't that pleased with says a lot, and should mean great things for your races to come.  I hope the rest day helps with the knee.

Scott...10lbs of layers?  You go Michelin Man!  I'm perpetually over-dressed and always surprised how little I need, but these are some wicked temps we're dealing with for sure.  Good luck!

Docket...Longest run in a while for you, right?  Hope it goes well.

Beth...uh oh, I think I may have hit a nerve with yesterday's question?  Everything I read, especially in Running Times (which focuses a lot on masters runners) says that cross training and strength training are vital to running well for masters.  I think your experience bears that out without question.  I may find that even in my AG that variety in training is a better way to go, but right now I really want to see where I can get with this kind of mileage.  To do that, I feel like I need recovery run mileage as opposed to true rest.  The sad thing is, I can kinda see my Ironman goal for Feb. going out the window with lack of swimming and biking I'm getting in.

Marco...Glad you got some miles in even though you're so busy.  Thanks for checking in.

RVD...Yikes, that's early!  The TM plan sounds better to me too, and I'm not even the one doing it.  Those 800s should be a good workout later.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

you mean, not counting the marathon and HM last weekend? Joking

In hindsight, my sarcasm was perhaps a little hidden.  Note to self:  work on internet sarcasm.