Marathoner Dailies

2013 Army Ten Miler Race Report - Updated w/Picture (Read 27 times)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Archived by author.  See training log.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Holy smokes that's a huge race!  We had 18,000 today and it felt like a huge event.  I can just imagine what that start looked like for you.  Getting bottled up is really tough to deal with, but your splits weren't as impacted as I expected they'd be.  Your mantra is a great one, and having something you've used all through training as opposed to developing closer to the race is smart strategy.  You obviously busted it on that hill at the end.  Congrats on staying strong and I'm glad that you got some positive feelings out of this ahead of NYCM.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Thanks, SIAR!  It was a huge confidence booster for me.  I'm feeling much better about NYCM now...  Yes, the race was huge.  And, a local won the women's race.  (54:56.  Not sure about the men).  The competition here is fierce.

Great job Julia.  You should think about how you smoked that hill when you hit the Queensboro Bridge in mile 16.  I'm sure you will do the same thing there.  You also did a good job of patiently fighting through the crowds.  Hopefully, it won't be too bad in wave 1, but that skill will serve you well in NY.  I'm really glad you decided to run this race after your last tune-up was cancelled due to the government shutdown. Your training has been going so well and now put your first tune-up behind you.  I look forward to seeing the pics of you flying toward the finish.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Very nice job Julia and from looking at your splits you ran an extremely smart and balanced race. That's an awesome confidence booster for you as you head into the throes of taper for NYC. Your fitness is DEFINITELY sufficient to pull out the sub 3:20 next month and I really think you and I could have an awesome race against one another at 3:18. Rest up and enjoy yourself!

Train smart ... race smarter.

Bad Ass

Great job, Julia!  I think you ran a strong race and although you didn't hit your goal, it was not too far off for you to worry.

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Hike, I am pretty used to running big races.  Nothing on NYCM scale but I actually prefer "events" over smaller races.  For some reason, I tend to run faster in mob settings.  Smile  Gosh, I hope the NY bridges aren't as boring as 14th St.  But, thanks for bringing that up.  I'm wondering if that's the type of "hills" people are talking about when they talk about the bridges.  If so, then they shouldn't slow me down too too much.

Bruce, I did run a pretty even pace, didn't I.  Big grin  I thought you were aiming for 3:15 next?

D_R, Thanks so much.  Yeah, all things considered, I think I was pretty close to a PR.  I'm really happy with the time.

Bruce, I did run a pretty even pace, didn't I.  Big grin  I thought you were aiming for 3:15 next?

Yep, 3:15 is the next notch in my belt ... going for it at Milwaukee was just a bit early and I'm convinced I could have ran 3:18 that morning with even splits.

Train smart ... race smarter.

Just Keep "Tri" ing

Julia, congrats. You are a female beast (in only the best way possible)!Big grin

Marathons run in Canada/USA/Bermuda/Ireland   

Next country for us - Austria Sept 2014 for 30th Wedding Anniversary :)

Hike, I am pretty used to running big races.  Nothing on NYCM scale but I actually prefer "events" over smaller races.  For some reason, I tend to run faster in mob settings.  Smile  Gosh, I hope the NY bridges aren't as boring as 14th St.  But, thanks for bringing that up.  I'm wondering if that's the type of "hills" people are talking about when they talk about the bridges.  If so, then they shouldn't slow me down too too much.

I haven't had a chance to run any part of the course, but I have read a lot of race reports.  The hills people talk about are the Verrazano Bridge at the start, the Queensboro Bridge at Mile 16 and Fifth Avenue, especially around mile 23..  Your description of the 14th St. Bridge in DC is very similar to what people say about the Queensboro.  No spectators are allowed on the bridge, so it is VERY quiet.  Since the rest of the race has fantastic crowd support, the silence on the bridge really sticks out.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Bruce, Just trying to keep you honest.  You'll leave me behind in your next marathon.  Unless I have a 3:15 in me soon.  Shocked

Just B.S., I always take that as a compliment.  Smile  I've seen my facial expression in race photos and am afraid of myself!

Hike, Queensboro, huh...  Historically, I've struggled in the middle miles of the marathon so that's a little troubling.  I broke that "streak" in my last marathon but...  When we finish the bridge is the best part, right?  That's where the crowd is the loudest?

Nice race and an excellent report, plus that pic is fierce.

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Jaybar, Thanks!  Weird that all 3 of us in the shot are wearing blue singlets.  I wore it better.  Smile

Finally PRed!!!

Julia, that is a great report, and you ran a really impressive race. Wow, that is an awesome pic! You always have such great race pics.

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Swift, Thanks! I usually find one in the batch that I like.