Marathoner Dailies

Daily Runner - 2/8/2013 Watching Winter Storm Nemo (Read 12 times)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

February:

PressingOn - 02/16 - Woolley Trail Run Marathon

Docket_Rocket - 02/17 - A1A Marathon

CompetitiveChik - 2/17 - Austin Half Marathon

Runnrchic - 02/24 - New Orleans Marathon - Goal: break 4:34

GregTR - 2/24 - Cowtown Marathon - Official 3:10 pacer

March:

Patti678 - 3/2- Albany Marathon, Albany GA

CompetitiveChik - 3/2 - Woodlands Marathon

JodisRunningForAutism - 3/3 - Seaside Half Marathon Destin, FL

not too swift - 3/3 - Intown Ten (10K) Road Race

PressingOn - 3/3 - Redmond Watershed Trail Run

Docket_Rocket - 03/09 - 13.1 Miami Beach

Julia1971 - 3/16 - Rock n Roll USA

ImNotScott - 3/16 - Rock n Roll USA

jojo61397 - 3/17 - Publix Atlanta Marathon - Goal: Sub-4:00 hour

Patti678 - 3/17 Publix Half Marathon, Atlanta GA

Not too Swift - 3/17- Georgia Marathon

athensguy - 3/17- Georgia Marathon

RVDowning - 3/17 - Shamrock Marathon

Joe1775 - 3/23 - Haulin' in the Holler 50K

Docket_Rocket - 3/23 - Palm 100 50K

JenRosie - 3/24 Irish Run 8K

onemile - 3/30 - Egg Shell Shuffle Half Marathon

PressingOn - 3/30 - Cupcake Run Marathon

April:

Docket_Rocket - 04/07 - Marathon Paris

runnrchic- 04/07- Gulf Coast HM, Pensacola

joe1775 - 4/13  - Glacier Ridge Trail Ultra 50

Docket_Rocket - 04/14 - Key Biscayne Half Marathon

marco59 - 4/15 - Boston - goal: 3:05

markrice - 4/15 Boston - goal sub 3:15

GregTR - 4/15 - Boston

JenRosie - 4/15 - Boston

onemile - 04/20 - Carmel Marathon

Xrayman: 4/21: Lansing Marathon

GregTR - 4/21 - London Marathon

SIAR - 4/28 - Glass City Marathon

GoneFishing - 04/28 - Big Sur, CA

May:

hilltopper91 - 05/05 - Broad Street Run

jackdyl11 - 5/5 - New Jersey Marathon

Joe1775 - 5/5 - Flying Pig Marathon, Cincinnati OH

Docket_Rocket - 05/07 - Puerto Rico Marathon

Patti678 - 5/11 - Gulf Coast Half Ironman, Panama City Beach, FL

RVDowning - 5/11Lake Wobegon Trail Marathon

SprinklesRunner - 5/19-Run for the Red Marathon

runmomto3boys - 05/20 - Green Bay Marathon

June:

Docket_Rocket - 06/13/2012 - San Francisco Marathon

July:

Patti678- 7/4- Peachtree Road Race 10K: goal: PR

August:

Patti678- 8/23 & 24- Hood to Coast- 199 mile relay with 10 person team

September:

SprinklesRunner - Date TBD - Wineglass Marathon

GregTR - 9/29 - Berlin Marathon

October:

runmomto3boys - 10/6 Lakefront Marathon

GregTR - 10/13 - Chicago Marathon

November:

SprinklesRunner - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

GregTR - 11/3 - NYC Marathon

runmomto3boys - 11/24 - Route 66 Marathon

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage. - Anais Nin

Julia1971

All in for Boston

I'm up first?  I guess it is a bit early.  I have a 7 mile recovery run scheduled for the day.  I probably don't need to start that for another hour.  Since I have all this spare time, I'm going to see if I can finish the rest of my training plan.  I was going to cut my taper short and see if I can squeeze a second tune-up race in somehow.  I think it might be too late for that second item, though.

It looks like the northeast is going to get slammed with snow this weekend.  I think they're calling it this storm Nemo, which I don't get but am hoping someone will explain at some point.  We're just getting rain here...  Ack!  The 10 day forecast shows snow next weekend.  That's when I was going to get in my one and only tune up race.  Hmm.  Troubling.  Sad

fake it till you make it

Good morning Julia!  I know they are naming winter storms now in the same fashion as tropical storms/hurricanes, but that doesn't mean  have to like  it! Smile  Seems strange. And the news here seems to be giving the storm every frightening descriptive word they can come up with- but maybe that's because "Nemo" isn't exactly severe-weather sounding?

I'm off to work in a moment.  Somehow have to squeeze in a 16 mile run between the 12 hour shifts I work the next three days.

Stay safe and warm East coasters, I hope this storm's bark is worse than its bite.

Has Broken Parts

Good Morning,

I had a pretty busy day yesterday. I read through the posts but didn't have time to reply to much.  Ended up only running 4 recovery miles yesterday afternoon. I'm resting my legs today and then planning to run early tomorrow. We are expecting very strong winds tomorrow so I might call an audible and run Sunday instead.

It looks like the northeast is going to get slammed with snow this weekend.  I think they're calling it this storm Nemo, which I don't get but am hoping someone will explain at some point.  We're just getting rain here...  Ack!  The 10 day forecast shows snow next weekend.  That's when I was going to get in my one and only tune up race.  Hmm.  Troubling.  Sad

I didn't get it either so I asked Google. Evidently this is a Weather Channel thing.  I found this on their website:

"In an effort to increase awareness and enhance communication of disruptive, impactful winter storms, The Weather Channel will name winter storms starting in the 2012-2013 season.  You can see the list of names above."

Enjoy your  7 mile recovery run.

ETA: Here is the link if you want to see the list of names: http://www.weather.com/news/winter-weather-watch-2012-2013?pageno=2

Also, Julia - Thank you for posting that picture of the (not quite) start of our race!

"Address the process rather than the outcome.
          Then, the outcome becomes more likely." - Robert Fripp

Has Broken Parts

Jen - Cross posted.  Good luck getting that long run in!

Finally PRed!!!

Julia: Hope you had a nice recovery 7. And (from yesterday), no the rain we had was not icy, it was mid-upper 40s here, it was just (like Pressing said), I did not feel like getting drenched in it 2 separate times (and showering/drying in between. Actually it worked out pretty well because it had pretty much stopped raining by the time I went out to run.

JenRosie: Good luck getting your 16 in between shifts.

Scott: Enjoy the rest and good luck in the next couple days getting your time trial in.

I got in 4+ very slow recovery miles this morning. At first it was actually more like some kind of cross between a walk and a jog. Knee was bothering a little bit, but a lot of it was just general soreness. Did sort of begin to feel better as I kept going, but now I need to rest the legs for my 20 tomorrow. The race pacers are running with us, so they may do parts of it close to MP.

Ended up doing most of my miles yesterday very easy, did throw in a few faster bits of about a quarter mile each (did not measure or time them exactly as I was not on a track and was having issues with the watch, but I did them close to 7:00 pace). Hung out a little later than planned after the group run as we were in a tavern and I found a lot of people to talk about running with...it was fun. There were a few people at that group who also run with some of my other groups, too.

I think the whole idea of the Weather Channel naming winter storms now is a little odd. Good luck to everyone in the storm path, stay safe!

PRs: 5K: 22:31, 10K:46:43, 15K: 1:10:35, HM: 1:42:49, M: 3:38:20

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hello! Just some recovery miles on tap for me today as my legs feel tired (really tired). I'm thinking it was the hill repeats that really wore me out Wednesday.

Julia...these winter storm names drive me nuts! Snow storms are nothing like hurricanes and shouldn't have names in my book. It's like the news just wants to create undue panic. Were you able to find another event to add, or are things sold out? As for the race in the snow...been there, did that!

Jen...good luck getting that run in with your schedule. I hope it's a quiet shift for you.

Scott...hope you're able to get the time trial in without dealing with gusts.

Glad you had a good time with your group last night, and good luck with the knee soreness.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Back on the schedule.  Just a slow 6 on the treadmill, making sure all the body parts were functioning.

Has Broken Parts

Swift - I hope your knee soreness stays away.  Good luck with your 20 tomorrow! :-)

SIAR - I'm sorry you had a less than ideal run yesterday.  It sounds like an easy day is what you need.  Actually it sounds like a rest day is what you need but I know you don't do those.

RVD - I'm really glad that you are back at it!  It sounded like Shamrock wasn't going to happen for you so it's really cool that you are back on schedule.

In unrelated news, I created this picture in Photoshop and posted it to a Facebook group that I belong to.  So far it has been "shared" 165 times in about an hour!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Scott...that's awesome! I can see why you have a hat on in your avatar pic...I'd want to cover those ears too! I don't know if a true rest day would help or make me feel stale, so I'm just going to run as slowly as possible today.

RVD...nice to see you're able to get back to it and that it wasn't as bad as you feared.

PRs:  Marathon (2:49xx; '13)  Half (1:25xx; '12) 10k (40:26; '11) 5mi (29:23; '13) 5k (17:33; '13)

Julia1971

All in for Boston

Oh no. Just found out I'm going to be in management training that starts at 9am three days next week. Sad How am I supposed to get my runs in AND get to work by 8:30ish? Crap. I guess I'm running in three days in a row. Which means, I'm going to have to bring in three days worth of clothes at some point this weekend. Or, take an off day. Nooooooo! LOL! Okay, drama over. I will deal with this.

My recovery run went well. It rained the whole time but it wasn't terribly cold so I didn't mind it.

RVD, Hooray! Glad you're back on schedule.

SIAR, Yeah, hills will do that to you. That's why I don't do them. LOL! The pickings are slim for races right now. I think President's Day is my best bet. Oh well. It would have been nice to do two, but... The race I'm looking at cancelled a few years ago for rain. So, if it snows, I predict they'll cancel. We don't do inclement weather here. LOL!

Swift, It's great that you have a "team" to train and race with.

scott, I was thinking the same thing - doing my long run Sunday. We'll see. I need to figure out what I'm doing overall... So, there's no reasoning to the names? I was thinking there was some tie-in to "Finding Nemo" that I was missing.

JenRosie, Good luck finding time for the 16. My complaining feels real silly right now when I think about how you've managed your runs.

CompetitiveChik

Hey all, this was my workout from yesterday:

8 miles: After 1 mile warm up + for 6 miles do (half mile Run@tempo x 1' walk) + 1 mile easy jog cool down...pace for half miles 30' faster than actual half marathon pace. (as my legs warmed up I found it easier and easier to hold my pace. told my coach that....oops. she told me I shouldn't have told her that cause now she's really gonna challenge/push me. gulp!)

today is a RD but it's so beautiful outside that I'm meetin up with a friend to go ride. It's been rainin for a week now and will start back up tomorrow.  I'm jonesin for a ride.

Dec 23 - Apocalypse Survivors Half Marathon

Jan 13 - Houston Chevron Marathon

Feb 17 - Austin Half Marathon

March 2 - Woodlands Marathon

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

7.22 recovery miles at lunch, a full 1:30m/m slower than my easy pace. Hopefully tomorrow the legs will show me their appreciation for the slow run.

Julia...that's a bummer about your work schedule. It sounds like you need a permanent office closet. I hope your race doesn't get cancelled, that'd be annoying. It is tough to find them this time of year. I'm thinking about a big 5 miler in March...sub 30 doesn't even get top 10 AG, and the winner is always sub 25 - yikes!

CC...looks like a good run yesterday. I'm sure the pushing will be a good thing for you. Have a great ride. I always picture you on a Harley when you say that, but I know it's not that kind of bike shop.

Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  I've been so busy today I forgot to check in!  Ugh.

11 miler went well last night.  I have 6 recovery miles today.

Have a nice day!

Damaris, Marathon Maniac, Ultra Runner

Next:  RnR Country Music Half Marathon

Blog

"The most powerful weapon on earth is the human soul on fire."

Zero this morning so to the TM for the third day in a row for 10.  Today's were at MP.

We are on the line between the 6-12 inches and 12-18 inches of snow, so I am thinking tomorrow might be a rest day.