A Mile A Day

Time to check in again (Read 178 times)

jeffdonahue

How goes the running?

How goes the streak?  Anyone have any major issues that they have run through recently?

My running is going pretty well lately (knock on wood - hate to jinx myself).  Only 6 weeks left until the Baystate marathon and I am starting to feel better about my running and maybe even my chances for a BQ.  My long run this weekend felt awesome - so good in fact that I tacked on a couple extra miles at marathon pace and turned it into a mini-progression run.  This may have been partially due to my not getting my full 10 miler in on Friday though so my legs were a bit fresher than they normally would have been.  Then yesterday I pulled out a 3 x 2 mile interval session done at 7:15 pace.  My legs were tired after that though.

The streak is starting to get exciting for me again.  I am 19 days out from the 1,000 day mark and kind of looking forward to it.  I plan to start a countdown here when I get down to 10 days.  September 25th is the day - scheduiled run is a 16 miler right now.  Woohoo.

Hope everything is going well for everyone.

Jeff

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

This is my first streak and I'm at 33 days (not counting my run later). Those of you who have maintained amazing streaks are an inspiration.

TRUST THE PROCESS

Ojo

Glad you checked in Jeff because I was thinking about your streak during my run this morning and wondered how close you were to 1000!

I am doing well but still feeling sluggish.  I've got a 20 mile run this weekend and then 1 more 18 mile after before I start to taper for the Wineglass.  Still undecided about Newport but I should make up mind mind because the price will be going up again soon.

Hope everyone is enjoying the cooler weather!   

Sara

MM #2929

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

1000 days is simply amazing!

TRUST THE PROCESS

1000 days is simply amazing!

It is amazing!

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

It is amazing!

As is being a member of the US Running Steak Association!

TRUST THE PROCESS

jeffdonahue

As is being a member of the US Running Steak Association!

+1 to this.  Actually I think that anybody that has the guts to just try to run every day even for a little while is pretty amazing.  There was a time when I would have thought it was crazy to do this.

But by the same token, you have to do it right - pushing your body beyond its limits is just stupid as well.  It has to be approached carefully and slowly I think otherwise you are just asking for an injury.  And based on the length of streaks we have going on this board, I think everyone seems to be doing it right.

Congrats to everyone.

250 days and rolling, and I am loving the fall-like temps.

Ryan

jeffdonahue

250 days and rolling, and I am loving the fall-like temps.

Nice job Ryan! 

Definitely loving the weather - though today was a bit hotter than I expected when I ran at lunch.  So, needless to say I was sloppy and didnt apply Bodyglide and am having a few "issues" because of it tonight.  Should be fine for my 8 miler in the morning.

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

My 35-day streak may be ending today. I was tight last night and today my left ankle feels very similar (but not as bad) to how my right ankle felt in February when was diagnosed with a stress fracture. I'm hoping it will feel better as the day wears on so I can do a very easy mile, but not sure if that will be the case.

(MTA: Streak does end today)

TRUST THE PROCESS

Nice job Ryan! 

Definitely loving the weather - though today was a bit hotter than I expected when I ran at lunch.  So, needless to say I was sloppy and didnt apply Bodyglide and am having a few "issues" because of it tonight.  Should be fine for my 8 miler in the morning.

Bodyglide is a must.  Sometimes when I am a in hurry or just feeling lazy, I skip the Bodygilde for one of my long runs.  My inner legs almost inevitably get torn raw and blistered.  It is a good reminder for the next run. 

Ryan

Stll at at it 255 days, 110 more for a year. I can see me doing it now, was not to sure when starting this . But 1000 days whew!!!Big grin

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

Kerry1976

Master of the Side Eye

7 months ago I had a stress fracture of the right ankle. Last week I felt a familiar twinge in my left ankle. Today I found out I officially have a stress fracture of the left ankle. No streaking for me anytime soon.

Given my age (34), family history of bone issues, and the fact that I was running minimal mileage, this second fracture is of concern. I will be tested in a few weeks to find out what might be wrong.

When I do return to running, I hope to eventually be able to streak again. I really enjoyed it. I liked just "knowing" I was going to run each day.

In the meantime, I look forward to cheering each of you on as your streaks continue. And I look forward to seeing Jeff announce making 1000 days!

TRUST THE PROCESS

jeffdonahue

Sorry to hear about the stress fracture Kerry.  Hopefully it will heal quickly.

Might I suggest that when you do come back to running that you do not streak right away.  It might be beneficial to you to get a few months of running under your belt running every other day first.  Days off allow for the mucles to heal up and strengthen.  Perhaps if you rested every other day, you could build up the muscles to help protect the stress on the bones a bit more.  I think starting out streaking (even at only a mile a day) can be a lot on the body.

Also, if the problem is your bones and stress fractures, you may consider a running class or seminar that teaches running technique as I used to get a lot of shin splints (and stress fracture once) until I attended a running seminar and they taught me a few tricks to change my running form a bit.  This change I think reduced the pounding on the legs and I havent had those issues since.

Best of luck

Jeff

jeffdonahue

Given my age (34),

And I hope you're not implying that 34 is old here