A Mile A Day

Vacation streaking (Read 25 times)

Intentionally Blank

I'm scheduled to go on an Alaskan cruise this June. The ship is smallish - 72 guests, and doesn't have a treadmill. Feeling a bit antsy about how I'm going to manage. I imagine at least some of the stops on land will afford an opportunity to at least get a mile in.

Anyone have experience maintaining a streak under those conditions? I've run in airports, but I've not had to run up and down hallways. If I have to run in hallways our around the outside of the ship, I imagine early, early morning is the way to go so I don't bother people.

rossruns

I've never done a cruise on a boat that small, myself.  Looking at pictures of boats that size, it looks like it will be difficult to run around the perimeter of the boat to get in your mile, but may not be impossible.  I'm guessing early morning would be the best bet for a clear path, but you may end up running into people who want to watch the sun rise. Late evening may also work, if people are relaxing or headed off to bed and the "crowds" subside.

If you can get the floor plan/layout of the boat ahead of time, you can plan out how far each "lap" will be and how many you'd have to do to keep your streak alive.  Definitely take advantage of any days in port to get your mile on shore if you can.

Intentionally Blank

I got an email back from the trip planner. Apparently the land locations won't allow running because of wildlife/ecology concerns.

So, I'm wondering what counts as a running. If I have to do small circles in my cabin, does that even count?

Ugh. I'm certainly not willing to derail the family plans, but I'd hate to end a 6+ year streak because I'm on a boat.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I would email them again and ask about running on the ship. See what they say. Are there stairs or long hallways you can use? I'm sure you aren't the first runner on board.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Intentionally Blank

Good idea!

Ojo

I think I recall ready about people who have run laps around the ship but I think the ship might have been a bigger cruise ship.  How long are the hallways?  Can you go back and forth?

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

I've definitely run on boats - but those were larger cruise ships that actually had running/walking tracks.

So, I've never done it but I remember that one of the long timers (Mark Covert maybe) had surgery and his daughter walked and measured the length of the hospital hall and he went back and forth to get the mile in.  I would imagine you could do something similar in the hallway or  on the deck.

If all else failed, then yes, running around in a circle in your room (no matter how small) would count as running, but man that would be tough going given the size of the cruise rooms I've stayed in.  You would probably be best to do that based on time - if a normal running mile takes you 10 minutes, then I would say make sure you do it for 11 minutes because the pace would be slower doing it that way.

What ship are you going on?

Best of luck

Jeff

Zelanie

Even without the streak, that sounds like a really uncomfortable place to be a runner if you're going to be cooped up on a small boat and then not even have a way to really exercise in port either.  Hope you have some good ways to stretch and at least stay limber.

You could get a watch with an accelerometer and use that to run wherever you can.

Maybe it's super lame, but I do some of my 1-mile days in the house with the watch on indoor mode.  I run around and chase my dogs, and they chase me.  They think it's the best thing ever.

Reknowned coach and author Steve Magness used to run up and down the long hallways on the cruise ship.  You can do it.  There is barely room to turn around in most of the cabins.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I've run around on a ship before.  People looked at me like I was odd, but whatever!  On the day we disembarked, there was a huge storm with rain, wind, and lightning.  So I ran in the halls.  I knew I wouldn't have time later in the day, because we were flying home.

The hardest time for me was on safari in South Africa.  I thought I could run around in the fenced-in camps, but there was a big sign that said "NO RUNNING"!!  Really??  I wasn't streaking, fortunately, but it was annoying.

Intentionally Blank

This is the ship:

https://www.uncruise.com/why-us/our-fleet/wilderness-discoverer

Zelanie

Well they say "laps around the deck" on the ship amenities page.  Any chance that the "fitness equipment" includes a treadmill?

jeffdonahue

Well they say "laps around the deck" on the ship amenities page.  Any chance that the "fitness equipment" includes a treadmill?

Ditto to this, I would bet if they have fitness equipment there is at least one treadmill.

Aside from that, looking at the boat layout it looks like you could get some laps in on the Observation deck, and maybe the sun deck though the sun deck at the front looks like a tight squeeze.

She said in the first post that there is no treadmill.  That surprises me- even on a small ship.  I would check on that again.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey