A Mile A Day

And so it ends at 1045 days (Read 18 times)

The pain in my butt (sciatic nerve stuff) got too bad and I have to stop.  I don’t want to be stupid.  The doctors really thought I could get through it and do the mile a day, but a painful 13 minute mile just isn’t a good idea.  I knew it would end sometime.  I’m on St. John in the USVI this week and the running is extremely difficult anyway and not at all helpful for this injury.  The climbs are hard for the Jeep!  

Carry on, streakers!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

nimble

Tipping my hat to you! A tough choice, but congrats on a solid run.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Nice work, Karen! Hope you get healed up.

You can always streak again once you get that sciatic to behave. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Toes in the sand!, continually amazed by you streakers.

Rest well before you start the next one.

Get off my porch

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Sorry to hear it, Karen, but I'm glad you're taking care of yourself.  If St. John is like St. Bart I can't imagine running there!

Thanks, all.  It was a good stretch!  I’m sure I’ll be sadder about it once I get home and have to figure out what I can do for exercise/stress relief.

Teresa-  The north shore where we used to stay (and you can’t anymore) was much more runnable but this end is straight up and down and the main road is too dangerous.  My son did some trail runs, but they are very difficult.  You don’t see many runners here!  I was trying to just get the mile in but it just got too painful.

jeffdonahue

Sorry to hear about it, but I can definitely relate.  As someone who has battled with sciatic pain off and on for a few years there were quite a few times that I thought about ending my streak because of it.  It can get pretty severe.

I do have a stretching regimen that I do when the sciatica starts to flare up that I could give you if you are interested.  I do find that if I do these stretches 2-3 times a day the pain does get better in a few days.  There are definitely a few stretches that are geared towards easing the sciatic that I would recommend.

Best of luck.

Jeff

I would like to see those, Jeff.  I do a number of things (and am seeing a doc) but always want to hear what has worked for others. The pain is so much better already, but even 3 running steps reminds me that it isn’t better yet.    Thanks!

Ojo

Sorry your streak had to end!  I can totally relate to the pain -- with my Degenerative Disc Disease and SI joint pain, it can be hard to run.  You would not believe the procedures I do to alleviate the pain.

Good luck to you!

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Okay, I'll do my best to describe them here.  I dont have visuals for them.

Calf stretch upper - hands on wall with one leg back and straight, stretch should be in calf

Calf stretch lower - hands on wall, leg bent, should feel stretch closer to heel/achiles

Quad stretch - standing, grab one foot behind body, press knee backwards to feel stretch in quadriceps/thigh

ITB Stretch - standing, cross one foot over other and bend body towards leg that is straight, should feel stretch in hip

Hamstring stretches - standing, cross one foot over other and bend at hips - repeat with other foot crossing and with both legs straight.

Runners lunge - I typically do this modified a bit where my back knee is on the ground

Also, modified runners lunge where, when my right leg is forward, I will put my right arm under the knee to go a bit deeper into the stretch

modified pigeon pose - go from runners lunge and put lower leg flat on ground, leaning forward on to the leg

Hip stretch - lying on back bring one leg up so upper leg is perpendicular ot the floor and lower leg is parallel to floor, using opposite hand pull that knee across other leg towards floor - repeat both sides.

Sciatic stretch - lying on back with both feet flat on floor and knees at 90 degree angle.  Take one ankle and put it over opposite knee.  Grab that knee and pull towards chest. Repeat with other leg.

Sciatic stretch 2 - lying on back with both feet flat on floor and knees at 90 degree angle.  Grab under your right knee and pull that knee diagonally across towards your left shoulder, then use left hand to grab ankle and start to straighten the leg out diagonally across your body.  If your sciatic is really bad, you wont get very far on this one at first, but I think this is probably the best stretch for it.  I got it from a book "The Pain Free Runner" produced by julstro.

Sitting hamstring stretch

Sitting sciatic stretch

Cat- Cow for lower back

Upward dog

If you send me your email in a PM I can try to put together pictures from google with all of these if I can find them.  By far though, sciatic stretch and sciatic stretch 2 above i think are the most useful.

JEff

Thanks, Jeff.  I think I'm doing most of these.  I've been through this before.  Helps to have the list so I appreciate it!.  My doc has me doing bridges of various types, too.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Are you feeling any better yet?

It's a lot better but not 100%, so I'm being very careful.  I was on vacation and didn't miss running since it's so difficult to run where we were.  I tried walking with some 30 second to 4 minute jogs yesterday and today and the doc worked on me (dry needling) today.  I should be able to ramp up some, but I am not in a hurry (for once).   Thanks!