A Mile A Day

Question for Young1 (Read 118 times)

jeffdonahue

Just a quick question since you have been doing this for almost two years now. Have you had any times where you have been injured? I ask because last Sunday I went for a run in the snow and I started to feel a tightness in my right shin. During the run I figured I had just landed wrong because the pain went away after a few minutes. But on each run since then I have a slight tightness in my shin at the start of the run. It usually loosens up after about a bit and doesnt come back, but I am started to fear I might have a shin splint in that leg. So have you had any times that you were injured and how did you get through it and still keep your streak?

q day

Jeff, I don't know if injured is the right word, but I've run through a lot of pain. I really believe that you can run through most things, but of course, there are injuries you cannot. I suffer from piriformis (left side), and it has gone on for at least six months. That has progressed into a tight left hamstring that just doesn't go away. Neither has kept me from running or racing, but I am concerned that it doesn't heal. As a member of the USRSA, I get their quarterly newsletter (the Streak Registry) and you wouldn't believe what the members have run through. Of course when you've run 10, 20, 39 years in a row, you face nearly everything. My toughest day (so far) has been day 275 on 3/25/07. Check my log to feel my pain! The Streak Registry's quote is; "The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep running." Lance Armstrong said; "Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute, an hour, a day, a year. But eventually it will subside.... If I quit however, it lasts forever. That surrender-giving up-stays with me forever. So when I feel like quitting, I ask myself, Which would I rather live with?" Go to; runeveryday.com/ (then) Other Lists and Running Sites (to) Members in the News (to) John Watt's story. He explains it better than I can (and he's streaked for 28 years). Running everyday has given me tremendous confidence, new personal records, and belief that there is so much more. "The dues I pay.... is running everyday."-me My suggestion is to take it as easy as you can and try to heal. One day, one mile at a time. Streak on, and good luck! Darrin

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."