A Mile A Day

Might be it for me too? (Granted I just got going).... (Read 26 times)

So I have vowed that any 'illness" I would be able to work through.  Flu, etc, I'd just power out a 10 minute mile and keep going on the bad days till I got better.

Well, my dumba@@ was trying to do one of those home improvement jobs on my house, which was to scrape off the popcorn ceiling in order to have the house look more 'modern' inside and not so 1980's.   So I was moving from chair to chair spread across the floor, knocking all that stuff down onto the plastic I had laid below (labor intensive job, let me tell you!), and got to the corner.  In the corner I have a wooden table with a glass section in it that is probably 18 inches by 18 inches.

Well, my foolish butt stood on this table, with the 18 by 18inch glass piece in the middle, thinking that at a weight of 158, no big deal at all if I stand on it for a bit to get this crap off the ceiling.  Low and behold, the glass must have been pretty low grade, and I fell through it.  -- Thought all was fine until I saw all the red oozing out!

Long story short, I basically fillet'd my 2 toes, third and fourth toe.  Took the skin off over most of the bottom of the toe, pretty dang deep.  (Just how do you spell 'fillet' when you do that to yourself?)   Oozing, open wounds, and the fourth toe especially bad.  I had an 8K mud run today, but as much as I wanted to complete the #3 race in the 3 race series, I knew it would not be a good idea, so I skipped that.   This wound was bad enough that 90% of the population would have gone to the emergency room to get it patched up.   I opted to fix it up myself the best I could.

But..., part of me is so determined to keep the streak going that I wrapped this up the best I could and ran a mile today.  Pain is there, but tolerable.  Still some oozing... Starting to scab over, but it is a deep and very wide wound.  So finally, the question (that my wife has already answered emphatically), is it a ridiculous idea that I am trying to keep the "365 streak and beyond in 2013" goal alive?  

I think the biggest question is what is the risk of running on this foot (if the pain is tolerable)... Just how much will I slow down the healing by cranking out an easy mile a day on a significantly injured toe? 

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

Ojo

How are you feeling this morning? That sounds really painful!

Sara

MM #2929

Intentionally Blank

I'm less concerned about your running than I am about infection.  It sounds awful.  I am so sorry.

Boy I was so tipsy when I made that post yesterday :-)    ---Walking with a limp, and running one mile a day is possible so far.  Probably not advisable, but possible.  (I run after dark so no one sees me running with quite the limp!)

Still can't believe I was dumb enough to fall through a glass table, but other than that, feeling fine.  I'm guessing it will take 2-3 weeks for this foot to heal up.

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞