A Mile A Day

A WOW! day and an OK day wrapped into one. (Read 65 times)

Running around the ship

On Saturday morning my 10 year old son, Peyton, and I ran a 5k with about 900 other runners. Not one we trained for, but having something to do with the school district he's in...it came up, so we did it. We took off at a decent pace (no garmin so I think it to be around 8:20-30) and kept it steady. This was a partial out and back and the leaders showed themselves quickly...damn some of you people are fast! At around 3/4 mile Peyton's 4th grade teacher and his lifelong PE teacher passed us. I asked Peyton if he wanted to go faster and he said "this pace feels fine"...so we kept at it. At about 1.25 miles Peyton started pulling a few steps away (my pace was steady) so I told him that if he had it in him to go ahead and take off. He did. As it urns out he finished the race at 23:18 while also passing his old teacher AND PE teacher. His PE teacher said that when Peyton sped passed him he tried to use him to pace him but he just didn't have it in him. Wow! What a proud day for a dad!!! My race went pretty well. At 2 miles I looked at my watch and had 16:15...holy crap(!) I had a chance to beat an inner goal of mine to beat 25:00 in a 5k. So, I picked up the pace a bit being mindful of not overdoing. The finish of the race throws you out onto a track where you run about 3/4 of a lap to the finish. I mis-judged where the finish line was and kicked too early. When I got to the 3 mile mark I was at 24:30...no fricken way to do it...out of gas...finished the best I could. It was over 25:00...bummer. Not even sure what my final was...probably around 25:25 or so. I forgot to account for the .1 mile at the end...I will not make that mistake again. So, WOW! for Peyton and OK for me. A couple of cool side notes: I heard Peyton's name called on the loud speaker just after I entered the track area and when I finished the announcer called me out about the fact that my son whooped me! What a great time! With a litttle speed and distance work my 25:00 goal is very attainable. I can't wait to see Peyton bust 20:00!!

Oh Mighty Wing

wow! Great job!!!
      Pammie

Well done to the pair of you
        jeffdonahue

Wow, nice job to both of you. Kind of makes me wonder what my daughter would have in her if she did one right now. She is 11 and has done a few but always ran with a friend who is slower thna her, with a best time of 31:00, but (no bias here Wink )I think she is pretty fast. Congrats to your son, it must have been nice for him to pass his teachers.
            That was an excellent race and report. It brings back memories. My son is now 19 and a freshman in college. When he was 13, we ran our first 5K together. It seems like yesterday. I know it is a cliché, but they grow up fast – enjoy!