A Mile A Day

Outlook is not good right now (Read 165 times)

jeffdonahue

I woke up this morning and stepped out of bed and had a really sharp pain in my left achilles area. It loosened up a little bit on the way to the gym and was fine for the one mile that I did this morning, but now that I am sitting at my desk it hurts everytime I get up to walk to the printer. I'm thining it might be achilles tendonitis, which sucks because I dont really understand why I am having all these problems lately. I am going to have to rest my feet a bit and ice it up as much as I can, but am definitely only going to do a mile a day this week so as to not strain that more. Dont want to end the streak after having put this much time into it, but I will if it comes down between continuing the streak in the short term and really hurting myself in the long term. I really wish the runeveryday.com site had a message board where I could talk to some of those 25+ year guys who I am sure must have come across this stuff at least once in their streak. On the plus side, my ankles are still feeling better Confused
    Jill_B

I fly.

That stinks. But if running a mile didn't hurt, then I don't see a reason to stop your 1 mile runs (not yet anyway).

Bring it on.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

What are you doing to treat your AT? Massage and calf strengthening typically help.
        jeffdonahue

What are you doing to treat your AT? Massage and calf strengthening typically help.
          I didnt have it till today, but I just got off searching and calf lowering (raise up and then lower down slowly) along with ice massage and ibuprofen for swelling seem to be the treatment recommendations out there. There also seems to be some debates between whether to stop running or not - some say yes but it seems that more of the stuff I read says to not stop but to back off and run slower and on softer surfaces if you can. but now comes another debate that I need to qualify pretty quickly, and that is the one related to my shoes. Three weeks ago I bought new running shoes and a few days after my ankles started hurting. So I bought new shoes (and was unfortunately unable to return the other pair) and now a week after buying those I have Achilles pain. Should I return these new ones? I only have till Saturday to decide and then the return period ends.
            I didnt have it till today, but I just got off searching and calf lowering (raise up and then lower down slowly) along with ice massage and ibuprofen for swelling seem to be the treatment recommendations out there. There also seems to be some debates between whether to stop running or not - some say yes but it seems that more of the stuff I read says to not stop but to back off and run slower and on softer surfaces if you can. but now comes another debate that I need to qualify pretty quickly, and that is the one related to my shoes. Three weeks ago I bought new running shoes and a few days after my ankles started hurting. So I bought new shoes (and was unfortunately unable to return the other pair) and now a week after buying those I have Achilles pain. Should I return these new ones? I only have till Saturday to decide and then the return period ends.
            What model of shoes [old shoes]? Amazon and eBay typically have the leftovers from shoe stores... Also, what model of shoes did you buy?
            jeffdonahue

What model of shoes [old shoes]? Amazon and eBay typically have the leftovers from shoe stores... Also, what model of shoes did you buy?
              Last year, up until the marathon I ran in Saucony Omni 6s and really liked them. When they switched to Omni 7s they didnt feel right so I switched to Brooks (dont remember the brand). They seemed to work okay but my calves were really tight all the time. No pain, just tight so three weeks ago I decided to try a new type and went to Brooks Defyance. That was when the ankle pain started. So now I have a pair of Adidas. Maybe I should just jump online to Amazon and try to pick up a pair of the Saucony Omni 6s if they have any.
                Jeff, Your story sounds similar to me with my Mizuno Wave Rider 9s. I ended up buying 3 pairs online after Brooks Radius 6, Wave Inspire 2, etc., didn't work for me. I finally went to Pacers and Racers in New Albany, IN after settling for a pair of ASICS 1120s. They chose not to predetermine what shoe "should" work for me, and instead spent time listening to my issues and I tried on 5 pairs of shoes before settling on the Saucony Trigon Ride 5s. Unfortunately, Pacers and Racers is 40 minutes away from my house or else I'd buy from there every time from now on.
                Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'm of the active recovery camp. And make sure your shoes are right.
                    I'm of the active recovery camp. And make sure your shoes are right.
                    +1

Ryan

+1
                      I thought I would add a little to this. I have suffered pain in my right achilles both during my buildup in spring of 2008 and in my buildup last fall. Each time, it took me about 6 weeks to get completely over the pain. Some days the pain would be minor and I would almost forget about it, and then it would pop suddenly back up after a long or hard run. I didn't stop running during this timeframe, but I did concentrate on my post run stretching. Stretching seemed to help and maybe this was just in my head, but I believe it helped it to heal faster. There were only a handful of times where the pain got to the point where I decided to cut a run short. More times than not, I would adjust my schedule, shifting runs around to best suit how I was feeling. For shoes, I like the Brooks Adrenaline. Hope you feel better soon. Good to hear that your ankles are not causing you problems anymore.

Ryan

jeffdonahue

Thanks Ryan. I am taking it easy this week - still running, but just about the mile a day minimum for at least a few more days. It was weird because yesterday when I woke up the pain was really bad, to the point where I had to hobble down the stairs. A small twinge of pain actually continued whenever I walked yesterday morning. At lunch I went to the gym and lifted weights for a bit and then stretched for a while, and did the calf raises(lowering slowly) and the pain was gone for the afternoon. I was afraid of what it was going to feel like this mornign when I got out of bed, but it wasnt that bad. I had a small twinge of pain but that loosened up by the time I got downstairs and finished changing. I still only did a mile and had a small twinge of pain on the outside of my ankle, but nothing bad at all. I did some more stretching and calf raises after the run this morning and it still feels pretty good. I was thinking this morning while I was running about something that the girl at the running store said to me (aligned with something I read on the internet yesterday). She said that when I run, it looks like my left foot is actually turning in slightly, and she said she could even see it when I was standing. Then I was reading on julstro.com (I am thinking about ordering their "Pain Free Living" book) they mentioned that a lot of ankle, achilles and calf problems are caused by your hips being slightly out of line and they offer a stretching program to realign them. so I am thinking now that a good deep tissue massage with sports massage therapist might help and I still might order their book to get whatever stretching routine they have to help keep it in line. Thanks again Jeff