A Mile A Day

To streak or not to streak...... (Read 192 times)

I'm on the right

I'm trying to keep a consistent running schedule again.  The trouble is my schedule has been really busy (lame excuse) and will continue to be so.  I'm a resident (so I work 70ish hours a week), have a toddler, and our second baby is due in 2 months (All reasons not to run, also all reasons to feel my best and be in shape).  However, every time I try to run without streaking, the very chaos of my life that keeps me from trying to streak becomes excuses not to run so often that eventually I haven't placed my foot out the door in months.  

So the question is:  Do I just suck it up and make time for at least a mile a day? (In which case I'll keep running...it is awfully hard to quit even after as small a streak as 10 or 20 days) OR Do I try to be more disciplined and set a weekly goal?

In the past I've been more successful streaking UNTIL I miss a day....then the whole thing falls apart.

Any advice from the group's collective wisdom?

Thanks!

On a side note:  For days do people count midnight to midnight?  Or from waking to sleep?  Occasionally I get off work after midnight....and if I miss my morning run...whoops!

I'm Eric, the guy who runs to keep his sanity.

jeffdonahue

For days, I count midnight to midnight, but this is all a personal thing.  If your day tends to be a bit different, it's a personal goal and is completely self monitored.

congrats on the new baby as well.

As for streaking, I started so that I could remain consistent in my running.  I would make time for the mile a day personally.  But that is just me - if I didnt streak I would end up with weeks where I didnt run at all.  Hell, it's only about 10 minutes a day, just sleep for 10 less minutes and get outside or on the treadmill.

Best of luck

Jeff

Intentionally Blank

I find the mile a day thing really helps my family get on board with when I am going to run each day, not if I am going to run.  And a mile is a nice compromise when you need out of the house for a few minutes, and your wife will kill you if you leave her a moment longer with two little ones.  However, I suggest you find out what, if any, commitment to your wife's alone time she is expecting from you.  It's alot like being a single parent much of the time.

My spouse claims not to remember much of his residency.  I can believe it.  I remember every painful moment of it.  He rode his bike to and from work in order to keep up his fitness to minimum levels.  But honestly, I was worried about him riding home when he was exhausted.  He was hit by a car once.  Totally the car's fault, but he might have anticipated it better if he hadn't been so sleepy.  Fortunately no injury, except to the bike.

Just 'cause you're streaking doesn't mean you don't want to map out each week's goals, though.  And obviously you'd want to have flexibility to change each week's goal based on your anticipated schedule.

I'm on the right

Just 'cause you're streaking doesn't mean you don't want to map out each week's goals, though.  And obviously you'd want to have flexibility to change each week's goal based on your anticipated schedule.

Wait......you can anticipate a schedule during residency? Wink

I'm Eric, the guy who runs to keep his sanity.