A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 06/22/09 (Read 274 times)

mlybrand

> What part of Oregon?  The east is much hotter.

Except in the winter.  It's brutal in the winter (I lived in Kennewick, WA (Eastern WA) for 3.5 years, so I oughta know Smile

Trent I think you should come BQ in the great northwest. Conditions are fantastic most of the time. Smile

Shhh...  Trent may complain about the heat, but [not so] secretly, Trent is all about the pain.  Ideal conditions and a fast course would leave him unfulfilled.  Why else would the Flying Monkey Marathon exist?

36 miles today!  Smile

Ok, you southern runners, don't hurt me for saying this, but....it is finally summer in Michigan & the heat has been killing me on my runs.  A few runs in the humidity & 80+ temps has killed my pace & energy levels.  Heat doesn't usually bother me, but for some reason it is this summer.  I guess I just need to get my lazy butt out of bed & do my runs at 5 or 6 am instead of sleeping til 7 & lounging til 9 or 10, then running.  I've started training for marathon #2, so there will be no excuses for not running now!

Houston, Texas checking in here...Smile  My job allows me to take an hour 3 times a week to go workout.  I work on a military base and if I run in the afternoons I can get off at 3:30 and run on base.  Last week they made the following announcement on the base PA just before a run: "Current ramp temperature is 114 degrees with a heat index of 126."  I knew it was hot, but I didn't need to know that!  I've been trying to run in the afternoon, but since the summer temps have set in they are just not good runs, so its either after the sun goes down or on the treadmill at the gym.

Last week was a decent week for me that started off slow.  I'll hit 170 days this week and I'm feeling pretty good.  I'm not really working towards a time goal right now, just trying to get in the miles during the summer months.  I plan on trying to extend my long runs some.  Other than that, I'm still chugging along...

A Saucy Wench

> What part of Oregon?  The east is much hotter.

Except in the winter.  It's brutal in the winter (I lived in Kennewick, WA (Eastern WA) for 3.5 years, so I oughta know Smile

True, eastern oregon has actual weather.  Western oregon has very mild temps year round.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

A Saucy Wench

Trent I think you should come BQ in the great northwest. Conditions are fantastic most of the time. Smile

Just stay away from portland, I have 3 friends running their first marathon...dont need you turning it into Dante's inferno part III

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Ojo

Okay, my body does not want to cooperate.  My left foot started hurting yesterday during my long run.  I was worried about it this morning but for some reason it didn't hurt on my run but my left hip did.  It feels like a burning feeling on the side.  I am finding it hard to even think about cutting back but I suppose if it continues I just might have to.  I am hoping that my streak won't need to end!

Sara

MM #2929

Just stay away from portland, I have 3 friends running their first marathon...dont need you turning it into Dante's inferno part III

Perhaps he could come up for Seattle in Nov. and warm it up a bit?

~Sara
                It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

A Saucy Wench

Okay, my body does not want to cooperate.  My left foot started hurting yesterday during my long run.  I was worried about it this morning but for some reason it didn't hurt on my run but my left hip did.  It feels like a burning feeling on the side.  I am finding it hard to even think about cutting back but I suppose if it continues I just might have to.  I am hoping that my streak won't need to end!

Take some days even slower and see what happens.  Good luck!

Sara - that is an awesome idea, Seattle could use warmed up a little in November.  Of course isnt it the week after monkey?  Not that that would stop Trent

Sara - that is an awesome idea, Seattle could use warmed up a little in November.  Of course isnt it the week after monkey?  Not that that would stop Trent

Seriously! It is usually the weekend after Thanksgiving and it is usually awful weather. Last year it was actually pretty nice though.

~Sara
                    It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have a buddy trying to get me to run the Portland marathon for exactly that reason.  I may actually be in town 3 weeks later.  Maybe they can postpone the marathon for my sake Big grin

A Saucy Wench

I have a buddy trying to get me to run the Portland marathon for exactly that reason.  I may actually be in town 3 weeks later.  Maybe they can postpone the marathon for my sake Big grin

If you do come to portland, then or later, give me a holler.  I know where the good beer lives.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

They're going to Eugene.  I was just telling her about your message.  She just looked at me & said you have got to be kidding.  She said I'm a Floridian on blood thinners.  This is not good!  LOL I'm sure she'll be fine. Is that the area you're in?  I'm sorry I'm not familiar with Oregon.

Ran today after work.  It was 88f and that was cooling down right before the rain. It actually wasn't too bad.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread.  It's just interesting to hear about where DD is doing. 

A Saucy Wench

I used to live in Texas and I like the weather in Oregon.  I'm about 4 hours north of Eugene, near Portland.  The weather in Eugene will be similar to here.  Mild and dry in the summer.  Mild and rainy in winter.  We dont often get as hot as florida and the humidity here when it gets hot is much much lower.  We dont get super cold in winter, just chilly except for a snap here and there.

jb944

Chicago RnR 1/2 Marathon

Ennay - I'm jealous.  We were in Oregon last fall and loved it.  Weather was great and the coast was beautiful. 

Time to reset the graph, if I can figure out how to do that.  I started running again today - just a short 2 mile loop, but it felt good.  My back isn't 100% yet, but it is definitely better.  I'm continuing with the foam roller, tennis ball, heat/ice, and stretching and hope to try a longer run later this week.