A Mile A Day

Blisters from BF running (Read 21 times)

Teileen

Hi All -

The internets are a wonderful place full of tons of information and really gross pictures, but I was wondering if any of my fellow streak runners could tell me a good story about how they kept their streak going after developing blood blisters on the balls of *both* feet.

It happened yesterday when I stupidly thought it was a better idea to stop off on my way home from a long hard ride to run barefoot (just socks) at the track instead of going home and running a mile on the neighborhood hills.  I figured when I got home, it was a shower and nap time, not running time!

My plan was going fine up to the last quarter mile when it started feeling like I was running on pebbles.   The one on the right is bigger than a half-dollar coin and the one on the left is about the size of a dime.  I kept my feet up last night and this morning it obviously still feels like I'm stepping on something, but it doesn't hurt like it did last night when I walk.   I bandaged them both in case it bursts today.  I'm wearing my super cushy flats and am prepared to put on my running shoes with my work clothes at any time if it starts to feel terrible.   I'm really hoping it doesn't burst because I would think it would then be more painful and longer to heal.  Besides needing to keep up the streak, I have an important stage race this weekend that I don't want to be compromised for.  And, my most immediate concern (other than being able to run tonight) is my hill ride tomorrow morning because my cycling shoes are decidedly *not* cushy and the cleat is fairly close to the area of the blister.

Any stories of hope to share?  It's going to be fine, right?!

Thanks,

Teresa

Est. 2006

rossruns

I haven't had a blister issue with streaks, but I sometimes got blisters while hiking as a boy scout, and often times had to get up and go the next day after blisters had formed.  My normal treatment plan was as follows:

Note- below is for blisters developed from friction where you know you will exacerbate them if not treated (e.g. on side/bottom of feet).  Don't do this for blisters caused by burns, etc.

If blister isn't torn and is still full of liquid, pierce with a sterilized needle from the side near the base and let liquid drain out. (If blister is ripped, no need to do this).  Make sure area is clean (soap and water is fine) and let air dry as long as possible while keeping clean.  Tape a piece of gauze bandage in place and if it's painful in your shoes still, you can cut and apply a moleskine donut (putting the hole where the blister is) so the pressure goes on the moleskine and takes pressure off the site of the blister.  Replace gauze as needed or minimum daily.

In my experience blisters treated this way are tender the next day but you can walk on them, and by 2-3 days later you hardly notice them at all.

Zelanie

I ran BF on the beach for the first time last week, and got blisters under both of my second toes.  On one side, it was marble sized when I first got back.  I wrapped them both in band-aids and was able to run BF again the very next day.  They popped but at least sand didn't get in.  I washed them both and applied liquid bandage, and that has been fantastic.  Now they're pretty much healed and I haven't had to miss a day.