A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 2/23/09 (Read 161 times)

jeffdonahue

So while last week was my highest mileage week this year at just over 50 miles, I had been shooting for 60 and missed it mainly because I was just too tired to want to go run 12 miles in the pouring rain yesterday. Other than that it wasnt a bad week. Most of the runs felt good. I did notice after yesterdays runs that I need to go buy some new sneakers though - because I cant tell the difference between my old ones and the ones I hsould be wearing. I finished last nights run and had had a few twinges of knee pain in the middle of it, and then looked at my shoes and realized they were the old ones (only cuold tell because I looked at the wear on the bottom of the shoes and the treads were pretty flat) Shooting for 60 again this week. I think I might try to get a couple more doubles in at lunch rather than a 12 miler in on Sunday because my long runs always seem to fall apart for one reason or another. Congrats to Ojo on 100 days last week, and jugdish and Captain Atom should both be hitting 50 days this week. Way to go everyone! Jeff
      Thanks! I will hit 50 days tomorrow. I had an OK week that ended well. I was having some shin splints earlier in the week so my runs were not that good. I ran a 5K on Saturday morning and hadn't had a good run all week, so I wasn't expecting much. However, I beat my last time by about 30 seconds and I didn't have any problems with my shins. Sunday night I ran 6 miles, my longest of the year, and no shin problems then either. I love having that GPS too! It was nice to be able to see what my pace was during that 5K.
      Ojo

Another good week for me. I think I am finally starting to feel stronger in my running. Yesterday I went out for what I thought would be a fun 18 but it turned out harder than originally planned -- the road turned into dirt, which turned into snow and mud covered trails. So I ran a tough 4 miles in the middle and was still able to finish the rest off strong. Very rewarding! Congrats in advance to Jugdish and Captain Atom!

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Another good week for me. I think I am finally starting to feel stronger in my running. Yesterday I went out for what I thought would be a fun 18 but it turned out harder than originally planned -- the road turned into dirt, which turned into snow and mud covered trails. So I ran a tough 4 miles in the middle and was still able to finish the rest off strong. Very rewarding! Congrats in advance to Jugdish and Captain Atom!
          Nice job Ojo - wish I could say i was doing anything close to 18 right now. I really need a goal race. Way to tough it out though.
          jeffdonahue

Thanks! I will hit 50 days tomorrow. I had an OK week that ended well. I was having some shin splints earlier in the week so my runs were not that good. I ran a 5K on Saturday morning and hadn't had a good run all week, so I wasn't expecting much. However, I beat my last time by about 30 seconds and I didn't have any problems with my shins. Sunday night I ran 6 miles, my longest of the year, and no shin problems then either. I love having that GPS too! It was nice to be able to see what my pace was during that 5K.
            Nice job on the 5K - funny thing is I haev had some shin problems lately too, but they miraculously (knock on wood) went away after a few days. I am attributing it to my body getting used to running more miles.
              They just posted the results and my time was actually 10 seconds faster than I thought. I must not have stopped my watch as fast as I thought I did.
                Good job everyone. I have done the same thing Jeff did with old sneakers. Now when I get new ones, I write the word "old" on the back of old sneakers. Last week I did 35 miles. Sunday I ran 10 miles, with mile 3, 4, and 5 at tempo pace. Wednesday I did 4 X 1K, 5 to 10 seconds slower than my goal 5K pace followed by 4 X 40 second striders. I took 1:30 recovery between each hard effort. _______ When I started my run today, I thought I would only do one mile to keep the streak alive. Ended up doing four miles. heh heh
                  60 Miles!!! I have been talking about this 60 MPW mark for quite some time now. I am happy to say that I have finally made it there. While I know it is just a number in my log, I am feeling quite accomplished at the moment. I feel great and the miles are coming easy. After reaching my goal, I am starting to look into the next phase of my training. I am not 100% sure where to go from here, but I know I want to start turning my focus on some racing. I would like to level out at 60 MPW. As I feel more comfortable with it, I am going to start adding some higher intensity workouts. I would like to start incorporating weekly tempo and hill efforts. Also, I need to start looking for some races. The Buildup (8/1/2008 - Present) :

Ryan

Wingz

Professional Noob

Checking in - hanging out in the 1 1/2 miles/day range right now, working on slowly building up to 2 1/2. I've got a sprint tri in 3 weeks that I need to be able to cover 5K during... but I'm ok with walking some of it if I need to. Right now, it seems that being able to run shorter distances every day with no injuries is more important to me than being able to run longer distances some days with frequent injuries. I know it's not an either/or situation for most people - it's just been my experience so far with running. Anywho, time to go run tonight! Y'all rock!

Roads were made for journeys...

Jill_B

I fly.

Still stuck in my treadmill rut. But *yay* I got confirmation that I got into the Asbury Park Relay Marathon in October, so now I'm going to have to get serious with my running. (Of course, that will be after next week when I go skiing).

Bring it on.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Day 70 today. Tired.
                          wanted to add some consistency to my running and force myself to take it easy as tomorrow is not a rest day during a running streak... Also with the cruddy weather and no race in sight... (transitioning from recovery to basebuilding)... I need some extra motivation to run on 20 degree icy days when the thought of getting on the dreadmill is torturous. So the idea of a streak came and well 5 days later the idea hasn't passed so... here I am. Today is day 5. I am currently setting my low bar at 3 miles... and my current goal is 30 days. After that I will re-evaluate. But for the next 25 days I'll be lurking... or asking questions... anyways hello.
                          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

3 miles is my low bar.
                            jeffdonahue

wanted to add some consistency to my running and force myself to take it easy as tomorrow is not a rest day during a running streak... Also with the cruddy weather and no race in sight... (transitioning from recovery to basebuilding)... I need some extra motivation to run on 20 degree icy days when the thought of getting on the dreadmill is torturous. So the idea of a streak came and well 5 days later the idea hasn't passed so... here I am. Today is day 5. I am currently setting my low bar at 3 miles... and my current goal is 30 days. After that I will re-evaluate. But for the next 25 days I'll be lurking... or asking questions... anyways hello.
                              Welcome to the group! I have added you to the chart. Best of luck with your running and your streak.
                                I hope everyone is getting a taste of slightly warmer temps. We hit 42 today! It felt alot warmer than that though after weeks of hovering the teens and twenties.

Ryan