A Mile A Day

Opinions please (Read 21 times)

Teileen

Hello running sages.  I am registered for a marathon in 18 days but so far my longest successful run is 18 miles. I’ve attempted 20 miles twice.  The first time a few weeks ago I managed to finish the distance doing intervals.  Yesterday I just quit and called Uber at 13.3. The race is flat and the course I ended up on yesterday was not, plus I was in Europe on business 2/11-22. I know I’m jet lagged. Even before I left on travel my work was getting in the way of quality training.  This morning I’m achy and super tired.

My friend said I should take it easy this week and try another 20 next weekend then decide.  I think this group can see my running log. Please, if you’re so inclined and have a moment, tell me if you think I should be able to pull off a flat marathon or if I should just throw in the towel and run the half.

Thanks!

Est. 2006

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I've never run a full so you can take what I say with a grain of salt. I've read a ton of threads on marathoning as I try to talk myself into trying one. I think the 20 miler is just one aspect of training and I would say you are probably okay with an 18 and a 20. The question for me is how much recovery does that kind of run take? With only two weeks to your race, do you want to put that wear and tear on your legs? I don't think you can cram runs into training and next weekend would be too close to the race for a really long training run. Follow the plan you are working with and runs the ones scheduled. Get to the start line not injured. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

One of the top training plans (Hanson's) just has 16 mile long runs.  It's a very difficult program.

I think if you can get in a 16-18 mile run at a VERY easy effort 2 weeks before your race you will be fine.  Seriously taper after that.  There is no real magic in 20 miles.  As an older runner (over 40 marathons), I believe that the benefits of training runs over 3 hours are outweighed by the toll they take and the risk of injury.    You will do fine.  Walking breaks are fine, too.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Ojo

If I could finish 100 miles with the longest training run being 30, you can certainly finish a marathon! 

Just pace yourself and keep smiling!  Best of luck!

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

I have used the Hanson marathon plan that tops off at 16 miles (though I think I ran a 17) and in all honesty felt the most prepared for any other marathon I had run.  If you think you put in quality training overall (Overall being the key word there), then I agree that there is no magic in the 20 miler.

Ive done the training plans that had you do a 22 miler as well, and honestly just felt beat up for days afterwards.  I would not try to cram in a 20 miler if your race is less than 3 weeks away.  I would start the taper - maybe do 16 and then 13 and get into the race with some fresh legs.

Good luck.

HopkntnHereICome

Teileen: 

You have already completed Houston last year. Keep the faith! Trust the training miles you have logged. Bill Rodgers once said at the cherry Blossom ten miler expo that miles run = endurance strength = is like money in the bank.
              Stamina runs are equally important. And I do see you have logged plenty.
              18 miles is roughly 30km and most training plans in European countries top off at 30km for the long run.

Take it from someone who has completed 9 full marathons.

Best to you

The only way out is through- R. Frost I have miles to go before I sleep - R. Frost

Teileen

Thanks to you all for your opinions and encouragement.  I feel honored to be part of a group with such depth of experience.  And @Oji, knowing we share some challenges, I’m in awe of your 100 miler!! I had written a response some time ago but it was on my iPhone and I lost it by fat fingering and didn’t have time to retype.  Sad.

I did not attempt another 20.  Instead I ran a 12k trail race on 3/5. It was fun. Very very muddy.  It unfortunately tweaked my hip/hamstring in a way that drove me to PT.  The doc helped me get as ready and pain free as possible over the next two weeks so I could get to the start line less injured even if very undertrained with plans to address my issues in a more reasonable way after the race...

which I finished yesterday!!   Time was 5:06, slightly off my 4:15 PR but the sense of accomplishment strangely feels the same. Maybe better. Definitely better.  The previous 3 marathons I finished feeling on various levels like I could have and should have done better. Yesterday I felt like I’d pulled a rabbit out of a hat. I don’t know how I did it. And today as I sit here I am sore but not feeling injured, which I think is nothing short of a miracle.

Anyway, thanks again.  And now you know the rest of the story.  Smile

Est. 2006

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

which I finished yesterday!!   Time was 5:06, slightly off my 4:15 PR but the sense of accomplishment strangely feels the same. Maybe better. Definitely better.  The previous 3 marathons I finished feeling on various levels like I could have and should have done better. Yesterday I felt like I’d pulled a rabbit out of a hat. I don’t know how I did it. And today as I sit here I am sore but not feeling injured, which I think is nothing short of a miracle.

Anyway, thanks again.  And now you know the rest of the story.  Smile

Awesome! I think it's so easy to get bogged down by finish times and miss the wins that are pure magic!Well done!

I hope you can get rehabbed and put those injuries behind you! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.