A Mile A Day

Streaking and Injury (Read 96 times)

For those of you approaching 1 year or more, to keep the streak alive have you run through injury when you otherwise would have stopped running? I called it quits when I hit a what I would call a medium severity calf strain. I am wondering what others are doing. Are you remaining totally injury free? Have you shuffled through painful miles for the purpose of the streak?

Ryan

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that the calf strain healed 100%. 12 days and counting. Smile

Ryan

jeffdonahue

I ran through a lot of different pains this year - shins, ankles, knees. There really wasnt anythign I woudl have called an "injury" that required time off, but I had a few stints where I ran just the one mile per day for a week or so to rest up something.

Running around the ship

I have had no "injuries" but have run through difficult times. The worst for me was a two day period where I had severe stomach pains where with every stride there was pain. I shuffled those two days in order to keep the streak alive. The second worse time is during a severe cold with the coughing and sore throat. The least o my problems have been strained or sore muscles...I just plod through these as I usually run out of them. I do recall one time mid-run that I got a very painful catch in my ancle and feared not making it back home. I slowed it down to a shuffle and got home...no problems the next day...a little sore but no problem. I don't run the same mileage as most on here so I can only offer experience for a short distance streaker! My thoughts are that you should not continue a streak, for the sake of the streak, if you are creating more damage or if you aren't healing. Now, strap on those shoes and get out there youy big sissy! Big grin Mike

q day

I've run through a lot of pain this year and even had to do physical therapy to relieve a nagging piriformis issue. The piriformis got worse and developed into hamstring issues that lasted for months. There have been many other aches and pains but I have been able to run through all of them. Now that I've taken it easy for several weeks (around 25 miles down from around 50), I've healed almost everything up. I plan to start the bigger mileage back up in January and the break is what I've needed. The "break" is more d/t low motivation of late rather than being smart enough to rest, but the outcome is the same. Keeping my streak alive has been worth running through pain, but I understand others thinking that is crazy! Crazy is a matter of opinion! Streak on! Darrin

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Pammie

Glad your calf has healed firstly. A good decision made No injuries as such for me. I do have a monthly physio session where i have had some aches usually because one muscle or the other has become tight. I'm aware i need to stretch more, train more off road etc. I do think if i didn't have these sessions the tightness may develop into strains and then maybe serious injury so forewarned am i. There have been times when i've struggled to get a run in but i'm still here. Mainly due to work stuff. We've been lucky so far weather-wise it hasn't been too severe only once maybe twice had me headed to the gym to use the treadmill
                I skimmed my log and found most of the reasons I did not want to run were the same as always: sore legs/feet due to end of life of running sneakers, bad eating days, and lack of time. The streak got me out the door. One interesting thing happened on November 7. I needed a new pair of running shoes, but had to wait until November 11 to buy them. (I had a discount coupon that wasn't good until November 11. I know, I'm cheap.) Anyway, I started running barefoot on a treadmill. Started with 10 minutes (one mile). Tonight I did 60 minutes (six miles). Check this group out: http://www.runningahead.com/groups/barefoot/Forum Looking forward to not having to buy so many shoes. Big grin
                  Thanks for all the feedback. Based on my reluctance to run through injury, I am not as crazy as some of you folks. Not yet at least .... but I intend to run for many years to come so who knows what will happen. Right now, I hope to use streaking as a means an end which will hopefully lead to lower PR times through consistency of running. Don't get me wrong, I am sure that I run through alot of the same conditions including shins and knees that others experience. I think this is unavoidable and these types of pain usually subside with consistency. But for now I will continue to draw the line if extending my streak might lead to more downtime. Gotta listen to the body. I think that was key in meeting my mileage goal of 1500 this past year. I am in a base building period and I hope to get to 60+ miles per week and sustain through the spring racing season. Not taking days off will be key to this mileage goal. One day off and I would have to average 10 miles on the other 6 days. For some reason, averaging 8.5 over 7 days seems more reasonable. I might even consider throwing some doubles in there. Does a double make up for the day I missed? Wink

Ryan