A Mile A Day

Today will be tough (Read 108 times)

jeffdonahue

So I am heading out to lunch in a few minutes and am planning on running a mile on the treadmill. I didnt bring my cool weather stuff wtih me to work today. But my left quad and (whatever muscle it is that is on the back side of your quad) are hurting right now from sitting at my desk after the marathon yesterday. Other than that (and a little nausea right now from being a bit dehydrated and malnourished I think) I am doing pretty well. Who knows, maybe running the mile wil loosen up the tightness in my left leg. I just keep reminding myself of two things - Hey, you ran a marathon yesterday, you can do one more mile. AND Hey, just remember when you ran a mile with the stomach flu earlier this year, even with the leg it has to be easier than that.

Oh Mighty Wing

UMM SO HOW WAS IT???????????????? I think a mile real slow will help, just go really really really slow.
      jeffdonahue

UMM SO HOW WAS IT???????????????? I think a mile real slow will help, just go really really really slow.
        Overall it went well. I have a longer winded race report wtih all the details out on the race forum, but here is a recap. Started off right where I wanted to - averaged 8:30 or so for first two miles and then sunk into a pace around 8:00s for the next 5 miles. Mile 8 I lost my car key when I was pulling a GU out of that mesh pocket so I had to turn around and run back to look for it. That really threw me off mentally from that point on. I was able to slip back into my 8:00ish pace until about mile 17 when I started to slow down to 8:20ish but I was still okay with that. At mile 23 my calves seized up on me and my pace (including stopping to stretch every half mile) droped to more like 9:30s. Saw my family at the end and pushed through for a 3:42:46 final time. I was hoping for 3:30 but my body is really not made for long distances, I tend to lose my focus on them adn thus slow down more than all those pace calculators say I should. After the race I took my son on a 1 hour hike in the woods for cub scouts and then to a pool part for an hour and a half. I'm feeling a bit nauseous right now still, I think from dehydration. But overall I felt okay after (not great, buy okay) and I got a 48 minute PR. Ran my mile real slwo on teh treadmill. It hurt the whole way but walking afterwards was actually less painful than when I got on. Jeff
          Nice report and race - congratulations. I can see how dropping the keys would throw you off your game.

Oh Mighty Wing

yeah dropping the key is a problem!! But still you did great!!!!! A major accomplishment to do it while streaking! And look at all the things you did afterwards!! DANG!!! GREAT JOB TO YOU I SAY!!!
            jeffdonahue

Okay, I'm almost there. I'm still holding my streak, but the last three days have been really painful. My left leg (quad mostly) still hurts but I am walking a bit straighter each day and was able to do a mile a little faster than yesteday and with not quite as much pain. It actually had started to feel even a little better at the end of the mile and I considered trying for mile 2 but decided not to push it. I am hoping to be running normally again by Friday adn then get a few good runs in this weekend as well. But now I have no goal Cry I busted up my goals for this year so far and have nothing to shoot for right now. Here were my goals: Run a mile every day this year - still working on it but giong strong Break 4:00 in the marathon - Done Break 20 minutes in the 5K - Done Complete all 7 USATFNE Grand Prix Series races and earn my jacket - Done Run 1500 miles this year - Done So what do I shoot for now? Just hitting that post-marathon slump I think.

Oh Mighty Wing

hmm... well could you train to do a multiple marathon type thing? Or do you prefer shorter races? And don't worry about faster - maybe faster isn't what you need while you are recovering especially if a part is still hurting!
                jeffdonahue

Well.... problem is that doing longer distance races is tough. Not so much because of the training because I tend to do that early mornings, but the race days themselves. Our kids have huge social lives adn their stuff comes first. For an example, this weekend we had the following going on: 1 marathon 4 soccer games 1 soccer practice 1 book club meeting 2 birthdays 1 cub scout hike and believe it or not this is a typical weekend, never mind the fact that kids' basketball starts this week as well (which blows my mind that they cant plan these seasons better so they dont overlap) Yeah, I'm not really worried about speed right now and in fact am thinking about spending the next 4 months doing some low HR training with High mileage to see what that does for me. But my main concern right now is that I am the type of persont that needs some sort of concrete goal I am working towards or I tend to get lazy. My first year working out I did a marathon at the end of it. After that I built up each year and did progressively longer triathlons (culminating in Ironman Florida in 2005) 2006 I was just lazy and didnt really do much because I didnt have a goal. 2007 I worked on getting my 5K time down to 21:00. 2008 I got my 5K time down under 20 minutes and completed the Grand Prix series where I got a PR marathon. But now I sit here with no real goal in mind for next year. And it just kind of irks me - I need motivation Big grin

Oh Mighty Wing

well why don't you plan on running the same marathon next year but off of low HR high mileage. (I figure it it's the same one then the course variables are the same - hills water stops etc)
                    jeffdonahue

well why don't you plan on running the same marathon next year but off of low HR high mileage. (I figure it it's the same one then the course variables are the same - hills water stops etc)
                      Yeah, well I was talking to my wife after the race (and after I had emailed my online coach) adn told her that my coach still thinks I can do a 3:30 and you should have seen the look on her face. It was like "What do you mean you're thinking about doing another marathon?" So it might be another couple years before I can convince her that me doing another marathon is a good thing. Who knows though - maybe it was just the fact that I have done about a dozen races this eyar (and most of them not close to my house so they ended up being a whole day wasted). Maybe if I make next year's marathon the only big race I do (aside from a few 5Ks) she might be more receptive. Thanks Jeff