A Mile A Day

I am broken... (Read 220 times)

Running around the ship

Try as I might, I cannot do it . I tried 5 different times today to knock out one mile and the pain kept me at bay at around 200-300 yards at less speed than a hobble and pain I could not overcome.

Many of you know that I have struggled occaisionally with bursitus in my left knee and plantar fascitious in my right foot (now cropping up in the left sporadically). My body has been treated very agressively and poorly, quite frankly, by me over the years.

I have streaked for 1,633 days through everything you have; sun, rain, 106 degrees (yestersday and much of July in KC), the flu, many colds (coughing, grogy, gunky eyes, coughing, phlem, etc.), colonoscopy, peoples attitudes that "just don't get it", vacations, altitudes (Winter Park, Breck, Keystone, Copper, etc (different every year)), hang overs (many), cruise ships, sore muscles, broken toe, sick, beaches, snow, ice, sleet (did I mention I live in Kansas City?), races, business trips and just when I didn't really freakin' want to.

I'm not a "runner". Everyone that's been here a while knows that about me. I started because of a simple challenge by Young1. So, I took the challenge reluctantly and here I am. Much of my streak is made up of one milers. But a streak it was.

The horrible part is that my body is failing me. I've tried 5 times today and cannot physically do it. I am heartbroken, I am broken down. I have tried an retried and my body will not succumb.. My knee is a sissy.

I don't know what will happen after this...not sure I will have the fortitude to start over. Time will tell.

Even with my dislike for running there are two great things that have come of this journey of mine, okay, three (well, four or five);

1. Having this great group to share trials, tribulations, encouragement and successes
    2. Young1 and I have stayed somewhat closer due to our accomplishments in running (mostly him encouraging me)
    3. Jeff - you are freind as well and a really good leader of this group...stay after it!

These are the REALLY neat ones:

1. My 13 year old (now 14) seeing what commitment means and appreciating the hard work. He went with me twice tonight to back me up on my own (failed) challenge of trying to run a mile. He (Peyton) has become a good CC runner with a PR of a 19:20 5K. I am proud of his inner drive and NO QUIT! He is outperforming many juniors and seniors at high school soccer conditioning camp in running excersises (lots of running). He is officially not even a freshman yet. By the way, he won Rookie State wrestling in the 115 lb class this year too...NO QUIT! Oh yeah, he also set the middle school record for the Pacer at 139...he knows NO QUIT!
    2. My wife (Kelly) has never run a day in her life until recenty (former cheerleader (they don't run, they date athletes :-))) We ran a 5k together a couple of months ago finishing around a 27 something. Also, she texts me 2 to 4 times a week that she just finished a 2 mile run and is "so proud". The reality is that I AM SO PROUD! She LOVES running!

Truth is that I went to the treadmill just now to give it one more go before midnight. I just bumped all of of my "4 tries today" to 5. I failed again. I have an appointment with an orthopedic next Friday which is what I've needed to do for years. Blessing in disguise? I don't know. 

Now I am rambling. I am crushed. It is over.

Streak on.

old-runner

Sorry to hear about your streak ending Mike, but congratulations on 1,633 consecutive days! That's more than almost any of us will ever achieve and a great accomplishment!

HermosaBoy

Sorry to hear this Mike.

Get to the Dr., figure out what is going on and start a new streak.  Two days is a streak and you build from there!

That's the beauty of a streak, they are easy to start...

Here's to a speedy recovery!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Ojo

So sorry to hear this Mike -- your streak is quite an impressive accomplishment and you should be very proud.  We all know the dedication it takes and you have gone above and beyond. 

Rest up . . . and hopefully we'll see you pop up again when you feel better. 

And congratulations!  What an awesome run you had!  Smile

Sara

MM #2929

So sorry, but what a great streak and neat lessons for your loved ones. Heal up.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

jeffdonahue

Mike,

Just back from vacation - sorry to hear about the problems and the end of your streak.  Many a days you've kept me going, just knowing you were only a few days back from me.  Best of luck - heal up!!!

Also, I was thinking of you last week as I ran many many laps around the cruise ship track and recalled when you had done the same.

Jeff

Sorry to hear about ending your streak had to be hard, hope you heal up and start streaking again I am on my 3rd streak but nothing like the days you have put in well good luck hope to see you hear againSmile

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

q day

Just found out this morning and I'll call you at a more reasonable hour to catch up. Your health is number one, so I'll be most interested in hearing what the doctor has to say. 

I originally challenged you to streak because I knew your overall health would be better. And, there is no doubt that the couple thousand miles you ran did wonders for your weight, blood pressure, cardiovascular health, etc... My old saying was "Streak on." My new saying (on this streak) is, "There will be a day that I can't run; Today is not that day." The irony is not lost on me. But, all streaks come to an end, so for all of you out there streaking, enjoy this day and remember that the streak is a result, not the point. The point is consistency, dedication, health benefits, examples to others (spouse, children, friends...) stress reduction, the list goes on! I'm now on streak #4 and just as happy and fit as any other streak! Mike: I hope you figure out what's wrong, get it fixed, and get back out there! Or, find something else that improves your life/health, and sets a positive example for those you love. Put me on the list of those you inspired. I LOVE to run, but haven't ever made it to 1633! FYI, my guess, at the beginning, was that you'd make it 20 to 25 days.

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Seanv2

Mike, sorry to hear that you're had to end your streak, here's to hoping you can start a new one soon. 

My old saying was "Streak on." My new saying (on this streak) is, "There will be a day that I can't run; Today is not that day." The irony is not lost on me. But, all streaks come to an end, so for all of you out there streaking, enjoy this day and remember that the streak is a result, not the point. The point is consistency, dedication, health benefits, examples to others (spouse, children, friends...) stress reduction, the list goes on! I'm now on streak #4 and just as happy and fit as any other streak! Mike: I hope you figure out what's wrong, get it fixed, and get back out there! Or, find something else that improves your life/health, and sets a positive example for those you love. Put me on the list of those you inspired. I LOVE to run, but haven't ever made it to 1633! FYI, my guess, at the beginning, was that you'd make it 20 to 25 days.

Young1, this is a great explanation of the reasons and benefits of streak running. I'm taking a break from streaking while I recover from an injury, but I'm already looking forward to starting a new one.

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com