A Mile A Day

5 weeks (Read 172 times)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thought I'd see what this streaking was all about. Today marks day 35.
    jeffdonahue

Welcome Trent, I added you to the spreadsheet so you should show up on the chart soon. For me, streaking helps me stay consistent. Without it, I tended to fall into bouts where it was way too easy to have all of a sudden skipped running for 5-6 days at a time.
        Welcome, I joined this group when I had run 30 to 35 days in a row. Since then I have run four or five days only because of this group. One of those days was yesterday. edit - that sounded funny: "Since then I have run four or five days only because of this group." I hope you know what I mean Big grin
        Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks all! Yeah, Jeff, I have indeed found that streaking makes it hard not to run. If I am doing it every day, every day I do it.
            Welcome aboard!! Smile

Ryan

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Day 50 today. Still moving...
              jeffdonahue

Day 50 today. Still moving...
                Nice going - gotta love those milestone days when you hit them. Smile

Running around the ship

Way to go Trent! It actually gets a little eaiser from here as the habit groes on itself. Keep it up!
                  jeffdonahue

BTW Mike, Nice pic. I wish I was running around the top deck of a ship right now instead of having run 4.5 miles in 4 degrees this morning. But, do my eyes decieve me, or is that really a One lane track on that ship. I would think they woudl put in at least two lanes so one could pass another runner safely (or even run with someone else and chat it up - it is after all vacation). But on the other hand, why are you running on the ship and not exploring that (if I remember correctly) one road that they have in Cozumel. dont they have just one road that circles teh island over there? And hey, did they still have that Dominoes pizza stand at teh beach right where the boats dock? Man, I miss cruising. the wife and I used to go every year before we had kids. Sad
                      I'm going on a 4 day cruise next week and I'll be doing the same thing. I want to say its a 2-3 lane track on the ship that I will be on, and its 11 laps for a mile. The track circles a miniature golf course, and there is usually people wandering around the deck not watching where they are going. I wouldn't mind getting a few miles in on the island, however we are only in port from 7 AM - 4 or 5 PM, so my time there is limited. I'll probably stick to the track.
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Please please please run on the track with a GPS device on your wrist while the boat is moving, then upload the recording to motionbased.com and share!! I wanna see how crazy that looks.
                          As of right now I don't have a GPS that I could wear, although I might get one for Valentine's Day from my wife. I could take her TomTom and suction it to my chest and see how that works...Smile
                            My wife and I are planning a cruise for March, I will no doubt have my trusty garmin 305 with me. I will make sure to upload the data to motionbased when we return.

Ryan

Running around the ship

OK, first of all, yes it is a one lane track and for the most part is sucked getting around people (and a couple of fast people had to wait on me). On each side of the track there was room for two people sideways due to the wind breaks on the ship. I was usually yelling "left" to let the people know I was passing on the left and to please make room. The walkers were supposed to be on the Promenade deck where running was "not allowed". I did it two days though! Did not run off of the boat due to excursions with the family. However, I would have loved having GPS routes from different countries. OK, about the "moving GPS" while running around the ship while it's moving. I was really interested in this! I wanted to see my "circle" traveling through the Gulf. Let me start the explanation like this: December 28th according to my Garmin 305 (thanks to my mom and wife! Big grin ) Time: 32:24:51 Dist (Miles): 13.27 Avg. Spd (Mph): 24.7 Max Spd (Mph): 33.9 That's right boys and girls, I ran a 1/2 marathon in 32:24:51. For a guy that averages 12-18 miles a week that's not too bad, eh? Reality, based on laps calculated by stationary GPS distance, 3.5 miles. Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've gathered by now, the boat was moving so fast that no circles were created in the GPS map! Sad One last thing, use GPS on the ship or at least run beyond your known mile time. As it turns out, according to my GPS, the information given to me about both tracks would have left me quite a bit short of one mile. Trust your own knowledge or tools...the ship is wrong!
                              jeffdonahue

One last thing, use GPS on the ship or at least run beyond your known mile time. As it turns out, according to my GPS, the information given to me about both tracks would have left me quite a bit short of one mile. Trust your own knowledge or tools...the ship is wrong!
                                That's why when I am going out for my mile run, unless I know the route for sure and the distance has been checked and double checked I usually run for time and try to get in 10 minutes because I know I can get a mile done in ten minutes, even at a really slow pace.