A Mile A Day

Summer challenges? (Read 138 times)

This is kind of a follow up post to the "what have you run through post", but focusing on the Summer months and what kind of challenges they bring. These are my challenges and my solutions to help me through them. 1. Weather! It is hot as hell here, and very humid too. I have always had a difficult time running during the summer months, and many times have taken those months off. That doesm't work with streaking, and with the summer weather lasting almost 5 months down here (Texas), it is a challenge for me. Solution: More treadmill runs, and some morning runs to help with the quality of my runs. 2. Timing issue: My wife is a teacher, so she is off for the summer. We are newly married with no kids, so things like happy hours and other plans just come out of no where sometimes. In addition to that, her day shifts during the summer so she stays up later and sleeps in more. That is taxing on me because I try to keep the same night hours, but still have to get up for work in the morning. Solution: Plan ahead as much as possible. Always keep a bag packed in my truck with running gear, and be sure to pack that bag every night. Run during my lunch breaks at work sometimes (gym is right across the street from my office). 3. Vacations: I am going on a 5 day cruise in June. We all know it is more of a challenge to get in runs when you are away from your comfort zone, especially while you are on vacation. Luckily for me the ship will have a gym with a treadmill in it, and they do have a small track on one of the decks. I just have to make sure I use it! Solution: Set time aside to get those workouts in each day, preferably in the morning before everything starts so I don't get to wrapped up in the days activities and have to "force" it in late at night when I'm buzzing. Also...it helps to have a workout partner, or someone who will run with me. Its harder to sleep in that way. 4. Starting school this summer: Two nights a week from 6-8:30 I will be in class for most of the summer. This will continue into the fall. Solution: The more time I take up in my schedule, the less free time I have to get a run in. Planning, planning, planning, it all comes down to planning! The college I'm going to is a nice area to run around, so running right after class is not out of the question. Also, monring runs could come into play here as well.
    jeffdonahue

This is kind of a follow up post to the "what have you run through post", but focusing on the Summer months and what kind of challenges they bring. These are my challenges and my solutions to help me through them. 1. Weather! It is hot as hell here, and very humid too. I have always had a difficult time running during the summer months, and many times have taken those months off. That doesm't work with streaking, and with the summer weather lasting almost 5 months down here (Texas), it is a challenge for me. Solution: More treadmill runs, and some morning runs to help with the quality of my runs. 2. Timing issue: My wife is a teacher, so she is off for the summer. We are newly married with no kids, so things like happy hours and other plans just come out of no where sometimes. In addition to that, her day shifts during the summer so she stays up later and sleeps in more. That is taxing on me because I try to keep the same night hours, but still have to get up for work in the morning. Solution: Plan ahead as much as possible. Always keep a bag packed in my truck with running gear, and be sure to pack that bag every night. Run during my lunch breaks at work sometimes (gym is right across the street from my office). 3. Vacations: I am going on a 5 day cruise in June. We all know it is more of a challenge to get in runs when you are away from your comfort zone, especially while you are on vacation. Luckily for me the ship will have a gym with a treadmill in it, and they do have a small track on one of the decks. I just have to make sure I use it! Solution: Set time aside to get those workouts in each day, preferably in the morning before everything starts so I don't get to wrapped up in the days activities and have to "force" it in late at night when I'm buzzing. Also...it helps to have a workout partner, or someone who will run with me. Its harder to sleep in that way. 4. Starting school this summer: Two nights a week from 6-8:30 I will be in class for most of the summer. This will continue into the fall. Solution: The more time I take up in my schedule, the less free time I have to get a run in. Planning, planning, planning, it all comes down to planning! The college I'm going to is a nice area to run around, so running right after class is not out of the question. Also, monring runs could come into play here as well.
      Weather challenges - only the rain. I LOVE running in hot weather. I know the quality and pace suffer a bit but I cant help it - nothing better than a run in 90 degree weather. Timing - well, most of my runs are done in the morning before work and since I still have to work this summer, no changes there. Vacations - vacations can be tough, but again, I get up early and do them before the fun stuff starts
        Thunderstorms will be a challenge. I don't want to run in them, or be on an electric treadmill during one.

Oh Mighty Wing

wow jug that's alot going on! Ok so... I'm a teacher with summer break coming in 3 weeks... but oh yes there are issues: Problem: becoming a morning runner to beat the heat. I run after school right now and really enjoy it. Weekends I run in the morning for long runs, but really prefer running in the afternoon. solution: HTFU and just do it! Actually I'm going to wake up with DH (who will still have to work!) and get dressed in my running gear. I'll possibly try leaving the house with him to go run - I will NOT run in my neighborhood where all I seem to be good for is 1 milers. Problem: vacations - we are going to be doing some weekend trips - camping, nashville, camping Solution: run while everyone is still sleeping. This way no one will be waiting around for me to finish my run. DH is really encouraging about my running though he is not a runner, but I could see him getting testy if I take time away from vacation things we are supposed to be doing. Problem: deciding what to do after my half in two weeks Solution: Any thoughts? I'd really like to train to run a November marathon - but will I really be able to take on that task? It would be my 1st and my goal would be finishing...
            If you can do a half, you can do the full. Now I have never run one myself (yet), but that is my goal too. I have run two half marathons in Houston. Its also very helpful in the world of streaking to have a goal to work towards...gives you extra motivation.

Oh Mighty Wing

Jug that's what I was thinking. I was concerned about whether I can build my mileage up by then.

Oh Mighty Wing

My first summer challenge passed!! DH asked me a few days ago if I wanted to go to the beach for the day. Of course i said yes!!! I made the adjustment for my long run and figured I would just do a 1 miler for beach day. So today arrives we are up at 6 and out the door by 7 (we needed to drop my dog at my mom's and it's 2 hours to the beach). So we spent the whole day on the beach and got back to the house at 10:30. I sat down and CRAP I forgot to run! So I put on my shoes grabbed garmin and ran out the door. I'm in a dress, there is heat lightening everywhere, but off I go. 1 mile... fastest I've run in a while!
                jeffdonahue

That is awesome! I have done stuff like that a few times and I always find myself laughing at myself while I run that mile at 11:30 at night. Big grin

Oh Mighty Wing

yes, it was the first time I truly thought that I was clearly showing my obsession!
                      Just got back from a 5 day cruise yesterday afternoon and my streak is still intact. I didn't accomplish any long runs while I was gone (1-2 miles each day), but I did get out there. I ran everyday on the small jogging track on one of the upper decks. It was 11 laps for one mile. One night I did get a little sea sick and couldn't even sit at dinner and watch other people eat. I went back down to the cabin to lay down and shortly after my wife brought me some dramamine, crackers, and ginger ale and said she would come back later to remind me to go run. I don't normally like to take medication if I don't have to, but I took this stuff and within an hour I was up there on the track knocking out my daily run. Sometimes streaking is a team effort!

Oh Mighty Wing

man that is a loving wife!!
                        pfriese

Speaking of summer challenges. I'm going to have to drop out of the group. Running every day just isn't happening. Maybe I will be able to re-join in the fall. Jeff thanks for hosting the group and keeping up with our streaks. Good streaking to all y'all. Paul

Oh Mighty Wing

Paul you will be missed!
                            jeffdonahue

Paul you will be missed!
                              Sorry to hear that Paul. I will change the chart and best of luck with your running - you are always welcome back when life stop getting in the way. Wink