A Mile A Day

When does the streak become counterproductive? (Read 197 times)

HermosaBoy

I know my little streak ain't much, but it's mine...

So, 10 days ago I got what I thought was a nasty blister on the ball of my foot.  Been running through it, but it has caused me to alter my stride and now the Achilles on my other leg is really hurting.  As for the blister, it's SLOWLY healing, but still really painful.  Makes me wonder if there is something more going on under there (bone bruise or something like that)?

The only point of my streak originally was that I was healthy, training well and enjoying it.

Can I go out and slog through a couple of miles?  Sure!  However, I wonder if taking some time off might actually be better for my training in the long run?

So, at what point do you say, "A few days off would actually be better for me"?

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Couldn't hurt.

Get off my porch

Ojo

So, at what point do you say, "A few days off would actually be better for me"?

I also have thoughts like this but I have yet to take action.  Your mileage is WAY higher than mine so maybe you do need some sort of rest.  Maybe try a few days of 1 mile runs -- they are so short you won't even feel like you have actually run.  Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

HermosaBoy

I also have thoughts like this but I have yet to take action.  Your mileage is WAY higher than mine so maybe you do need some sort of rest.  Maybe try a few days of 1 mile runs -- they are so short you won't even feel like you have actually run.  Big grin

I thought of that, but I guess my whole feeling about the streak was that if I had to do something like that to keep it going, I am better off starting a new streak.

I think in the 600 + days, I don't have any days where I ran for less than 15 minutes.   Haven't run yet today, but at this point I am leaning toward ending this streak and starting a new one in a few days.  I might come back stronger?

Thanks for the input!!!

Rob

I agree with a streak going, I would at least kick out a one miler a day to keep the continuity going.   Might regret it later if you stop and then a few days from now, that blister is healed + you would have wanted to keep that streak going!

I concur with the one-miler a day for a few days... Things might progress alot concerning the blister healing in a few days. :-)

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

A Saucy Wench

I'd go for the one miler as well.

My thought is unless you have proof it will make things worse why not?  This doesnt sound like a streak ender.

Ask yourself...are you gonna want to clarify "Well I have run 400 days in a row" with "but i only took 2 days off and then before that it was 660 days"

I guess it depends on why you streak.  I streak right now because I know if I had taken off the days I was sick last week I probably wouldnt have started again yet.  I was a consistent runner for years and  for the last 5 have struggled to give a rats ass.  I am afraid to stop again as the last time I stopped I didnt run for almost 2 months.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

HermosaBoy

I guess it depends on why you streak.  

I streak(ed) because I love running and haven't gotten sick or injured.  I was running well and enjoying it.  Smile

I decided that I am going to take a few days off and get back at it on January 1st.  For me, starting a new streak won't be that difficult.  Did a quick look at my log and in 660 days, there were only 34 that I did less than 3 miles (and more days than I care to admit where I ran multiple times in one day).  The training has been good, but taking a few days off will not sabotage that.  Might actually help me in the long run.

Good luck with your streaks everyone -- my new one starts Tuesday.  Wink

Rob

Intentionally Blank

Sounds like the right decision.  It's important to remember to love running more than the streak.

The thing that kind of bugs me about not having an expiration date on my streak is that the longer I go, it seems like the more "serious" the reason has to be for ending it.  That's alot of pressure.

jeffdonahue

I personally would keep going with some 1 milers, but I'm kind of sucked into this thing now.

However, given the nature of what you are dealing with, I would actually wonder whether you are treating this "blister" correctly to help it heal.  I've had tons of blisters all over my feet and none (even a really nasty one I got during my bout with barefoot running) took more than a few days to heal up.  If it is a blister and you have drained it, cleaned it, and covered it with an appropriate bandage should be fine to run on.  You may want to see a doctor if you think it is something more serious than a blister.

Yep, with more thought, that does sound like more than a blister.  I personally got a hotspot followed by a big ole blister after my first 50K run I did a few weeks ago, but I poked a hole in it to drain it, then covered the spot with "New skin" which sealed it and prevented anything from getting in there. Had 0 pain, no issue whatsoever, so I think what you have is something more significant than a blister?

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞