A Mile A Day

The merits of streaking (Read 408 times)

jeffdonahue

Okay, I've been streaking for a while now.  Some days its easy, some days its hard.  But I get out there every day and do something, and I almost always feel better after I do it.

But every once in a while it's nice to see the fruits of your labors.  Yesterday I ran a 10 Mile race in 1:09:41.  My goal was 1:10 so I completed that, but more than that I was comfortable the whole way (okay not really comfortable but not in serious pain either).  Thsi was a 4 minute PR at that distance, and a real mental accomplishment for me.  My last 10 miler before this was slower, more painful and I could barely walk to my car when I was done.

I dont know how much of that can be contributed to streaking per se, but I like to think that it had a good deal to do with it.  I think the consistency I have had over the past three years has helped me to become a better runner.  And I seriously doubt whether I would have gotten down to that time if I didnt have streaking to keep me going out there every day.  I really do think that consistency is key when it comes to improvement.  Even streaking aside, I had a point back in 2005 I think where I really buckled down and ran more consistently (at that point is was from random maybe 3 days a week, to a structured 4 days a week) for just 10 weeks and dropped a minute and a half off my 5k time.  Streaking reaps consistency and consistency hopefully reaps the rewards.

So here's to streaking, may it make us all more consistent in everything we do (running or non-running).

Loves the outdoors

I feel generally better, with less niggles than I did while running 5 times a week but no sign of better racing times so far for me. I'm still building up my mileage and long runs, so maybe they'll come. Winter will certainly help, I find it so much easier running in the cooler weather. 

I'm starting to question whether I've given myself additional stress keeping this streak going. My husband has just left for 3 weeks away and juggling 3 young kids plus getting all my runs in is going to be difficult. I may end up needing to break my streak for sanity purposes - but I might not!

One day I decided I wanted to become a runner, so I did.

Beware, batbear...

My streak is still pretty short, and I've already had to make some tough decisions in order to keep it going.  But, if anything else, it has started to give me the confidence that there are fairly few excuses that one can make for not maintaining.  I've already run through a bad calf, a killer hangover and some very inconvenient evenings.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be interested in knowing what the worst circumstances folks were facing and still continued their streak. 

But BRAVO! Jeff!  Congratulations, amigo!  You deserve a long break from running... maybe 18 hours or so.

2014 Goal -- Run 5X per week, pain-free (relatively) by end of summer.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

You guys are my heroes. Seriously.

I'm just over 100 days and I feel spectacular. My last race was a 10 miler a few weeks ago and I PRed by over 15 minutes (same course). I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can improve my other race times this year. 

Streaking has made me more aware of my body and when I should slow it down or have a drop back week. I definitely feel more confident during races and can maintain a strong pace much easier.

I just started nursing school this semester and have maintained my streak despite many 4am mornings, long hours of studying, and commuting 100 miles a day for 5 days a week. At this point, I think running every day is keeping me sane.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

jeffdonahue

My streak is still pretty short, and I've already had to make some tough decisions in order to keep it going.  But, if anything else, it has started to give me the confidence that there are fairly few excuses that one can make for not maintaining.  I've already run through a bad calf, a killer hangover and some very inconvenient evenings.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd be interested in knowing what the worst circumstances folks were facing and still continued their streak. 

But BRAVO! Jeff!  Congratulations, amigo!  You deserve a long break from running... maybe 18 hours or so.

some of my bad circumstances that i ran through

The worst was when I had the flu.  I could barely get out of bed, but luckily for me I had a meeting with the Variance Board at city hall that night and had to get up to go to that.  I was dizzy the whole time, but when I got home I figured "Hey, I'm already vertical, might as well get it in", so I threw on some shorts and ran a mile.  And that was when I was only about 100 days in.

Once when travelling, i got to Denver around 8:00 and the person I was with watned to go to dinner.  so I went and ate a HUGE dinner, with a few beers, got back to the room around 11:00 and realized I hadnt run.  I went out and ran pretty buzzed and with a stomach full of pasta and chicken - nearly threw up at the end.

One of the most painful would be the day after my marathon last fall.  Every step was a piercing pain in my quads.  Wasnt sure I'd be able to run the whole mile, but i did and the next day they were a little better and much less painful.  I actually think it helped me recover faster.

Ojo

Great posts -- I love hearing those of you PRing while streaking. 

I do think streaking had made me a better runner but I don't it has made me any faster.  There are so many days when I get ready for a long run and I think how am going to run 22 miles on tired legs?  And then I set out and it all falls into place -- each mile gets easier and stronger and by the end I am so happy with myself.  So maybe streaking to me has been a confidence builder . . . I am doing distances I never thought I could do.

The tough days for me have been after marathons.  I predict a tough day 10 days from now when I will have to run after my first 50k.  Luckily (knock on wood) I have not been really sick since I started streaking.  Let's hope it stays that way!  Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

I predict a tough day 10 days from now when I will have to run after my first 50k.  Luckily (knock on wood) I have not been really sick since I started streaking.  Let's hope it stays that way!  Big grin

good luck in your 50K.  You have been putting in a ton of miles, you're going to do great.   What 50K are you doing?

As for speed, I notice you dont do much in the way of speedwork, but I bet if you threw in some intervals and tempo runs into your schedule the speed would come pretty easily given the endurance base you have built up right now.

i am turning 40 this year and have been contemplating an ultramarathon later in the year as kind of a birthday present to myself (how insane is it that my birthday present to myself is to go out and run 50 miles in one shot Smile).  there is a trail 50 miler not far from me in October and a road 12 our Ultra this summer that is in the next town over.  But I am moving into 5K training right now and not sure that will really jive with training for a 12 hour ultra 4-5 weeks later.  I also have to run both of those ideas by the wife, and she may shoot both of them down.

stfuandrun

Lush Extraordinaire

At this point in my running life, running an ultra still sounds pretty horrible. Then again, a few years ago, running a marathon sounded horrible and now I can't wait to run my third.

Another bonus of streaking: I have quads of steel.

5k - 23:30

10k - 49:00

Half - 1:48:34

Full - 4:01:28

Working toward hip nirvana.

Ojo

Thanks Jeff!  I am running the NJ Ultra Festival on March 19.  Not setting my goals too high -- I just want to finish and have fun.

I know I should do speed work but in all honesty I know that I will never get much faster.  I started this whole running thing 5 years ago when I was 41.  I love running and that is my focus.  I'm not going to tell you that I don't have a goal marathon time but it is only 3 minutes faster than my current PR.  I know I will never go to Boston and that's okay.  I am sure there are lots of people on this board that would think this is pointless but like I wrote it is about me, my mental health and being able to eat!  Big grin

Good luck with your decision to run an ultra.  I hope it works out for you!

Sara

MM #2929

Intentionally Blank

One side benefit to my streak is that my family has embraced my goal.  They've always been supportive, but now everyone agrees that Mom needs to get her run in every day. We can plan accordingly, and for that I am grateful.

jeffdonahue

One side benefit to my streak is that my family has embraced my goal.  They've always been supportive, but now everyone agrees that Mom needs to get her run in every day. We can plan accordingly, and for that I am grateful.

That's awesome.  My wife is the same way - if she doesnt remember that I have run that day she asks me while we are watching TV at night.  And there have been a few times that that reminder saved my streak.

Ojo

Luckily (knock on wood) I have not been really sick since I started streaking.  Let's hope it stays that way!  Big grin

Oh boy, I jinxed myself.  I am so sick!  It has been 4 days and I have 5 to go!  I am still running but this head cold is starting to get to me.

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

<<<<<Healing Vibes>>>>>>>

Get better quick

I'm just over 100 days and I feel spectacular. My last race was a 10 miler a few weeks ago and I PRed by over 15 minutes (same course). I'm looking forward to seeing how much I can improve my other race times this year. 

wow good for you, that PR is amazing!  And good for you sticking with it, too many people use the 'don't have time' excuse.