A Mile A Day

Streak musing (Read 51 times)

Part of me would like to go out and run to keep my silly 10 day streak going, but it's not going to happen.

One of these days I'll get back on the streak and try to past my old mark. Partly to push past the old mark, partly because I enjoy running and mostly because I seem to run better when I'm streaking.

The hard part is knowing when not to run. The tweaks come and go, lately they are more frequent.

Get off my porch

jeffdonahue

I feel you on that - suffering through some sciatic pain right now and every couple days debate whether to just stop for a month or so to let it heal up completely.  But then I think, what if i do stop and it doesnt heal anyway?  Then I'll have blown the streak for nothing.  Most days, getting in my mile doesnt hurt, but man, sitting at my desk all day is kicking my @ss.

Just looking at your streak log and that is some seriously impressive mileage though - averaging 8 miles a day through your longest streak.  I think my average is going to drop below 5 this year if things dont fix soon.  I miss my long runs.

Made the decision at one mile to turn around and head home. 2 miles is plenty enough for this streak thing, even though I'd made 4 miles a day the minimum. But, I'm only days away from a year on this streak, longest ever and big bonus, injury free.

Streak on, folks.

Get off my porch

Ojo

I am with you, Jeff!  I have been having hip and SI joint pain since August.  Now that it is getting cold I have had a debate with myself at 5:30 most mornings about staying in bed and just not going.  Still going strong! 

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Way to hang in there.  I have hung in there as well and the running is getting better.  I have now dropped playing in my old man soccer league (after too many injuries to count, the concussion that ended up making me miss three days of work finally convinced me to quit) and my sciatic pain has subsided.  My runs are getting longer but I  need to build up more slowly because I am getting niggling pains here and there when I try to go past 8-9 miles right now.

Best of luck guys.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

I'm back on one again, to help get me out the door. I also joined the 2016 game, so I will probably keep the streak through the year for its benefit in mileage, for that game purpose. But I do miss the freedom of when I was not streaking too.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Big test today, to get a run instead of the normal morning run. Ran in between family gatherings at 1300. Plus a good steady rain, but it was a balmy 64 degrees.

AP, Jeff, Ojo big numbers to chase.

Get off my porch

Teresadfp

One day at a time

As Jeff's streak gets longer, do the bars for the reset of us get a little bit shorter, since our distance is proportional to his and his bar doesn't change length?  That doesn't seem fair.  Wink

rossruns

As Jeff's streak gets longer, do the bars for the reset of us get a little bit shorter, since our distance is proportional to his and his bar doesn't change length?  That doesn't seem fair.  Wink

Actually, it should be the opposite - if you keep your streak up, your bar will get longer and closer to his.

For illustration purposes, let's say Jeff has a streak of 8 years, and you have a streak of 1 year.  Your bar is 1/8 as long = .125

One year later, he has a streak of 9 years, and you have 2.  Your bar is 2/9 as long = .222

A year after that, it's 3/10, then 4/11, then 5/12, 6/13, 7/14, etc.

As long as you both keep up the streaks, you'll never catch up, but from a ratio perspective, you start to approach "approximately" the same streak length, especially when compared to those just starting out.  Now, THOSE people just starting will have their work cut out for them to increase the length of their bars!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Well, that's cool!  Thanks for the explanation!  I'm an engineer, so I should have thought it through more.  Smile

I have a LONG ways to go, but I'm happy I'm almost at two months. I'm really enjoying it.  The other night, I ran my mile at 11:30 pm, so I was pushing it.

rossruns

Late night runs to keep the streak going suck, but you feel awesome after you managed to keep it alive.  Good luck and keep pounding!

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, that's true!

jeffdonahue

Been there, done that - many 11:30pm runs.  Usually when I'm already in bed and my wife says "Did you run today?"

You guys are doing awesome and Ross is right that everyone should start getting longer and closer to mine percentage-wise.

Streak on

Well, that's cool!  Thanks for the explanation!  I'm an engineer, so I should have thought it through more.  Smile

I have a LONG ways to go, but I'm happy I'm almost at two months. I'm really enjoying it.  The other night, I ran my mile at 11:30 pm, so I was pushing it.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for the encouragement, Jeff.  I managed to run every day on our vacation.  Yesterday was tough, because we were disembarking from our ship.  The gym was closed, and there was a severe thunderstorm raging.  I couldn't run on the upper deck, so I did what I could on a lower one.  Nobody yelled at me, at least!

Then the cold I started getting a few days ago got REALLY bad.  I stayed in bed or on the couch all day, but hit the treadmill at 10:30 pm to get a mile in.  I feel a little woozy now.

Ojo

Wow Teresa!  You have gotten the streak bug . . . not to be confused with the other bug you have. 

Thanks for the encouragement, Jeff.  I managed to run every day on our vacation.  Yesterday was tough, because we were disembarking from our ship.  The gym was closed, and there was a severe thunderstorm raging.  I couldn't run on the upper deck, so I did what I could on a lower one.  Nobody yelled at me, at least!

Then the cold I started getting a few days ago got REALLY bad.  I stayed in bed or on the couch all day, but hit the treadmill at 10:30 pm to get a mile in.  I feel a little woozy now.

Sara

MM #2929