A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 03/16/09 (Read 226 times)

jeffdonahue

I'll be rooting for you.
    KvnJns

Total distance should be around 39 miles.
      Rock on. Good luck.

Kevin

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Total distance should be around 39 miles
        Awesome idea! What is the reason for 39? What are your plans for hydration and nutrition? Much luck!!

q day

The trails somewhat remote, so I'm stashing food and gatorade along the course tonight. I'll also plant some medical supplies, i.e., bandaids, body glide, fresh sock, etc.. The 39 miles is simply the distance from there to here (as best I can guess it). If I'm close, I'll try to do 39.3 just to call it a marathon and a half. D

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I did 40 last month for my 39th birthday (one mile to grow on). I carried everything on my back. This was my 3rd 40+ on my own. In all cases, I found I needed very little in the way of supplies, calories and fluid. I was able to get fluid along the way to refill, but otherwise I only used a couple candy bars and salty snacks and just the tiniest bit of body glide. I started early in the day, so I ended up dropping clothes (into my pack) rather than needing to add them. Good luck!

q day

Thanks Trent! I'm traveling light! I'm only carrying my iphone (on a arm strap), a small body glide, and a $20 in my shoe. Morning temp should be about 40 with a strong wind from the north. I'll run directly into it for a couple miles then have the cliffs of the Missouri River to my north to shield me (for most of the run). Temp should be 55 by finish which is perfect. I'll peel clothes along the way and pick them up later in the day. I have 3 protein power bars (300 cals each), 5 GUs (100 cals each), 5 gatorades (100 cals each) and 2 bananas (100 cals each) planted along the course. I also have bandaids, icy/hot, changes of socks, etc. stashed too. AND of course, my Garmin on my wrist! Tonight I'm eating rice, green beans, and pork for dinner (I have a gluten allergy so pasta and bread aren't options). I read that Dean Karnazes (Mr. Ultra) said that eating protein helps speed recovery, so I'm having a bunch tonight and the reason I chose the Protein Powerbars. Hope I've not forgotten anything. I'll know in 16 hours if I have. D

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

KvnJns

Once again, good luck and have fun. It sounds like you have thought this out and you are very prepared. I know I am looking forward to hearing about your adventure.

Kevin

Ojo

Hope you have a great run Darrin! Congrats on the 1000 days!

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Was thining about you this morning as I got my easy mile in on the treadmill (ankles felt pretty good but I didnt even bother to try to go past the mile) and wondering what time you were going to start your monumental run today. Best of luck and have fun. If I was anywhere close to you I'd come join you for a few miles just so you had some company. Let us know how it goes today. Wow, 1000 days - that is a lot.
                      Wow, congrats. on how you guys run it make my 1 to 4 miles not look like much. Keep up the good running it keeps some of us motivated. This streaking is working tho I had my first test today on keeping it up. I am heading to Fort Bragg NC to see my son and his family he just got back after a 15 month deployment in Iraq so me and the wife driveing down to see him, 14 hrs driveing later sitting in the motel tired I still went down to the gym and jumped on the treadmill, doesnt sound like much but last year i would not have even thought about so this streak is working for me so far, well keep up the good work.

Turning back the clock one mile at a time

jeffdonahue

Wow, congrats. on how you guys run it make my 1 to 4 miles not look like much. Keep up the good running it keeps some of us motivated. This streaking is working tho I had my first test today on keeping it up. I am heading to Fort Bragg NC to see my son and his family he just got back after a 15 month deployment in Iraq so me and the wife driveing down to see him, 14 hrs driveing later sitting in the motel tired I still went down to the gym and jumped on the treadmill, doesnt sound like much but last year i would not have even thought about so this streak is working for me so far, well keep up the good work.
                        Vert nice job! It can be tough running even the mile after a day of travel. It takes some serious devotion to get that mile in.
                        Wingz

Professional Noob

Bob, your log looks just fine. Don't let these overachievers scare ya. Wink I was looking back at mine. Chronic injuries kept knocking me down and I had gotten to the point where I was starting to doubt that I could run successfully at all... My graph The week on the far right's still in progress. See those nice 4 weeks of 8-9 miles/wk? See how everything to the left of those 4 bars looks? This is what streaking's doing for me: letting me put in the miles. Consistently. Without getting injured. See this graph? My graph
                          That's what you've done the last 6 months. I think streaking is working. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...