A Mile A Day

Congrats to Ryno and Young1 (Read 170 times)

jeffdonahue

To Ryno on hitting 60 days - two full months of Streaking. And though this is a day early, I have every confidence that Young1 will hit his 600th (wow, that's a lot) day tomorrow!!!

q day

Thanks Jeff! I have it circled on my calendar, and although I lose track every now and then, I always remember the big ones. I usually buy myself something to celebrate every 100 days, so a bit prematurly I bought a new pair of running shoes (three days ago). The day I'm really looking forward to is 668, and is the reason I've been training so hard. It's the 112th running of the Boston Marathon (my 1st) on April 21st. To celebrate that accomplishment I plan to go all out and buy a jacket (one with the Boston Unicorn symbol)! Congrats to Ryno, and everyone who keeps the streak alive! Streak on! Darrin

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

jeffdonahue

Hi Young1, I am actually thinking about running Boston this year myself. Someone in my running club decided not to use their number so I have the opportunity to use it if I want to. I am debating a bit though that I wont be able to get the right amount of mileage in safely to be able to finish it comfortably. I have done a few 14 milers recently and I have a pretty good overall base, but I have had bad experiences with marathons when I didnt train properly and I'd rather do it right or not do it at all. I emailed my coach to see what he thinks - it's only 9 weeks away so I'd really only have about 6 weeks of building my long run up and then a taper. For me, it's right around the corner though - bit more of a drive for you. How is the training going do you think? Jeff
          To Ryno on hitting 60 days - two full months of Streaking. And though this is a day early, I have every confidence that Young1 will hit his 600th (wow, that's a lot) day tomorrow!!! Way to go, guys! (bows deeply) Congrats on qualifying for the Boston Marathon, Darrin! What kind of time do you need to qualify these days? Is it doable for ordinary mortals? I'm a Boston native, and though I've never run the BM I've watched a slew of them. Serious racing, but a festive atmosphere all the same. Paul
          jeffdonahue

At age 41 I think his qualifying time is 3:20. I am 36 and mine is 3:15 (which I have no chance of hitting right now). Maybe some day...

q day

Jeff, As far as you being ready for Boston, I think the rule of thumb is that you should be able to run 20 comfortably, 4 weeks out. Listen to your body on the 20, it'll tell you whether or not an additional 10K is possible. The Boston qualifying times are: (per http://www.bostonmarathon.org/) M/F 18-34 3hrs 10min/ 3hrs 40min 35-39 3hrs 15min/ 3hrs 45min 40-44 3hrs 20min/ 3hrs 50min 45-49 3hrs 30min/ 4hrs 00min 50-54 3hrs 35min/ 4hrs 05min 55-59 3hrs 45min/ 4hrs 15min 60-64 4hrs 00min/ 4hrs 30min 65-69 4hrs 15min/ 4hrs 45min 70-74 4hrs 30min/ 5hrs 00min 75-79 4hrs 45min/ 5hrs 15min 80 and over 5hrs 00min/ I believe that most runners can reach these qualifying times, but it takes a lot of time, and miles. I'm probably a good example. When I started this streak (599 days ago) I couldn't run the pace needed to qualify for 5 miles, let alone 26.2. But now, 3000+ miles later, I'm going to Boston. Consistency/Dedication to goal is key and I would never tell anyone that a goal is too lofty. I have a good friend who deicided she was sick of being fat on 31 Dec 99, and started an exercise program on 1 Jan 00. Just last September (2007), 65 lbs lighter, she completed her 1st Marathon, and was featured in a Magazine. She could not run 1/4 mile 8 years ago. I believe that she needs about 1 more year before she will be able to qualify for Boston @ age 36! 8 years ago, I would have said, "the hell you say". To you I say, anything is possible! Check out this website; http://www.marathonguide.com/features/Articles/2007RecapOverview.cfm to see a compilation of statistics from all marathons run in the US in 2007. It's all very interesting, but I especailly like the average finishing times, per age group and gender. This is from Marathonguide.com (one of my favorite sites) I'm shooting for that 1.7%! Enjoy, and I hope I'm not boring you(I could talk running all day/night)! Darrin

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

jeffdonahue

Very cool article - would love to get into that 1.7% some day. Since my best Marathon tiem is about 4:30 I think on my Fall marathon I would just like to break 4:00 but think I could actually come close to 3:30 if I have a good day. I have opted to not do Boston this year (maybe next year) and concentrate on my speed and then a marathon in the Fall instead.
                jeffdonahue

Oh, and happy 600!!!!!!

q day

Thank you! I ran this morning to officially get the 600! I plan to run again tonight, and of course, tomorrow.

Pammie

Well done Ryno and Young1 This is so amazing. Young1 - thats a good idea - treating yourself to something every 100 days, and well done to your friend.

q day

Thank you Pammie! My long run training group just had a story written about them. I thought you all might like it! http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2008/02/11/long-run-lunatics-push-themselves-and-each-other/ Darrin