A Mile A Day

Day 294 coming up way too fast!!! (Read 94 times)

jeffdonahue

I know it is a weird number to have in my mind but that is the date of my marathon - Baystate marathon in Lowell, MA. I haven't run a marathon in 3 years and the last one was a miserable Boston marathon - 95 degrees, no shade, and I was puking by mile 9 because I drank too much gatorade before the race. So, needless to say I am a little (read a LOT) nervous. I cant seem to calm my nerves at all. I try to keep looking at my training log and know that I have done the work to get here and have a good race, but I just keep remembering the miserable experience I had last time. But at 1,544 miles already this year (which by the way is more miles than I think I ran in the last 2.5 years total) and a bunch of 18 and 20 milers that all went relatively well I feel like I should be able to have a good race. My personal best marathon is 4:31 which was actually at my very first marathon ever about 6 years ago. After that, each marathon brought its own problems (ITB issues, stomach issues, oh yeah and then there was the one I ran right after a 2.4 mile swim and a 112 mile bike Big grin ) Time goals: Should be able to get pretty easily - 4:00 A good day - 3:40 A great day - 3:30 My BQ time would need to be 3:15 - no shot at that so not even considering trying for it. Temperature wise it should be good. The race starts at 8:30 AM and while it has beeen sub-40 degrees when I ran the last few mornings at 6:00, it should probably warm up to about 50 by race start. Sorry, just trying to vent some of my nerves out. Thanks for reading. Jeff
      No worries, Jeff - you are ready. I am impressed with your June, July, and August mileage totals. Now you are wisely tapering/cutting back. Doing all that AND adding streaking WHILE avoiding injury = I suspect you will be pleased with the results of the race.
      Wingz

Professional Noob

Hey, good luck, Jeff! Big grin LOL - I'm sure you won't repeat the mistake you made last time! Marathon training and streaking = one tough dude! Keep up the good work!

Roads were made for journeys...

Oh Mighty Wing

Jeff, you have come such a long way and are in such a strong place right now! Have faith in your training and yourself! You are going to do awesome!!

Running around the ship

Good luck Jeff!!!

q day

I agree with everyone else. Trust your training, decide what to shoot for the day of the race depending on weather and other variables, then "Run out of race before you run out of you"! Enjoy! D

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Pammie

Jeff you are doing great and you'll do fine and dandy this time you won't make the mistakes you made years before in fact i bet you are feeling stronger now you are doing this streaking business