A Mile A Day

Running while traveling internationally? (Read 20 times)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

How do people do it?  On Thursday, June 7, we depart Logan Airport at 10 pm. We have a 3-hour layover in Qatar and then land in Beirut at 5:30 pm EDT on Friday.  That will be 12:30 am in Beirut, and I don't think running in Lebanon in the middle of the night is a good idea (we are staying in a B&B).  I am stymied.  Sad

Ojo

You could run in the airport.  Also, I think the rule has to do with 24 hours.  You might be able to squeeze them in even though it might seems like you didn't do it.

I am also pondering this scenario.  We are planning to walk the West Highland Way the end of June.  I think I might have to run the first mile slowly next to my husband and then continue the walk.  Not sure I want to get up and run before a 20 mile day.

Sara

MM #2929

Running streak requires a continuous running mile every day with no walking breaks.  Might be hard to do in an airport.  Possible in a deserted terminal maybe.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yeah, I'll just have to see how it goes.  It will also be hard to run in South Africa, depending on our accommodations.  One year, we stayed in a big compound surrounded by a fence to keep the animals out.  There was room to run, but at the front gate there was a big sign that said "NO RUNNING."

If I have to restart the streak, that's just the price I have to pay for visiting my son in Beirut and going to South Africa!

HopkntnHereICome

Does your BnB have a treadmill? I have "run" in LAX before :-) . I think I clocked less than 11:30 for the mile. I used Mapmyrun.

The only way out is through- R. Frost I have miles to go before I sleep - R. Frost

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I love the internet.  A friend just shared that there is a gym in the Qatar airport that I can use!  She ran there during a layover to South Africa.  Whoo hoo!  $50, but well worth it.  Smile

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I love the internet.  A friend just shared that there is a gym in the Qatar airport that I can use!  She ran there during a layover to South Africa.  Whoo hoo!  $50, but well worth it.  Smile

Awesome! I love that! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Good!  That solves it!

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That's nice you found that. Beats running through the airport hallways and maybe getting harassed by security.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Intentionally Blank

Late to this topic, but I have run around airport terminals before. And tiny laps around a small ship (16 laps = 1 mile). I’ve also run laps in parking lots. TBH, South Africa makes me more nervous running than Beirut, having been to both.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Late to this topic, but I have run around airport terminals before. And tiny laps around a small ship (16 laps = 1 mile). I’ve also run laps in parking lots. TBH, South Africa makes me more nervous running than Beirut, having been to both.

Yes, I'm careful in South Africa.  My favorite run ever, though, was in Cape Town, on the path along the shore.  I checked around and everyone said it was safe - there were a lot of people on it.  I usually just run on treadmills in the country, however.

Had to laugh at the cruise ship comment.  My husband, who is VERY non-confrontational, got in a little tiff on a cruise we were on.  We were running on the ship's "track) which was narrow and maybe 10 laps or so to a mile.  I forget.  Anyway, my husband jostled someone as he went by because they were walking 3 abreast and didn't move over when he yelled "TRACK", like runners know to do.  The people were outraged that they had to move, and my husband was embarrassed that they got so mad.  Not ideal running, for sure.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Had to laugh at the cruise ship comment.  My husband, who is VERY non-confrontational, got in a little tiff on a cruise we were on.  We were running on the ship's "track) which was narrow and maybe 10 laps or so to a mile.  I forget.  Anyway, my husband jostled someone as he went by because they were walking 3 abreast and didn't move over when he yelled "TRACK", like runners know to do.  The people were outraged that they had to move, and my husband was embarrassed that they got so mad.  Not ideal running, for sure.

Yes, cruise ships are tough!  I typically just use the treadmills but when the sea is rough it's quite an experience.  When i run on the deck, I get up very early to beat all the walkers.  Or run late at night when it's cooled off.

Ojo

I managed to keep my streak going in Scotland!  I had to do a few saver miles which were tough especially when searching to flat ground.  A few times I did get up early but it was hard to motivate knowing that I had a 21 mile walk day ahead of me. 

Sara

MM #2929

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Good job, Sara!  I managed to keep my streak going during my trip, but it was tough.  Meant running inside a B&B some days!