A Mile A Day

Another week of one milers down (Read 321 times)

jeffdonahue

So, still nursing my injury (still no diagnosis by a doctor so I'm still calling it a sports hernia) and let's see what happened this week in running (to me at least).

1. A friend and fellow runner that I used to run with all the time called me last week to go for a run on Saturday morning.  I had to decline and told her when I get better.
    2. There was a memorial race for an old college buddy of mine whose son died in a car accident a few years ago.  I wasnt able to run in it this year.
    3. Another local 5K that I really like doing - fast, flat course around a lake was this weekend, so I missed that one too.
    4. Yesterday as we are driving to church my wife asks me "So are you sad?"  I had no idea what she was talking about, but then she said "Seeing all these runners out there and you cant run right now."  I said yes, it drives me crazy not being able to run.  I see all these runners out there now and wish I was them.  I was doing my 11 mpm one miler yesterday and got passed by a guy that I easily could have been passing if I was running regular speed.
    5. My team had its last soccer game yesterday, and I really wish I could have helped them out as they had no subs again.
    6. Kids wanted to go bowling this weekend, so i took them on Saturday afternoon.  That kind of hurt - I had my 9 yo do half my shots because it hurt a little if I went off balance at all.  That was just stupid on my part.

Just venting.  Now some good stuff:

1. Pain level is still down.  Most walking is pain free - unless I twist or do some jerky movements (like when my daughter tickled me yesterday).  running pain is still down at around a 2 (out of 10) - might have even been a 1.5 last night when I ran my mile.
    2. I think all the races I normally would have run (or at least considered running) for the year are done.

I'm hoping the pain will be down to a one or a zero by the end of this week.

I've been tempted to go for a real run - you know, suck up the pain and get a 5 miler in and see if that just loosens it all up and kicks the injury out of my body, but I dont want to make it worse adn set myself back.

Hope all is well - streak on!!!!

Jeff

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

That sucks. Condolences.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Ojo

Sorry you are still injured.  Maybe it is time to see a doctor?

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Sorry you are still injured.  Maybe it is time to see a doctor?

Been there, done that.  They didnt find anything - no hernia, nothing they could pinpoint.  Nothing came up in the x-rays.  They have me scheduled for a colonosopy later this month to rule out anything serious there, but I expect it's just a strain of some kind.

Of course I still have some pain and they were useless in attempting to try to find anything else after that, and are now just waiting on the colonoscopy (ugh - dont even like to think about that procedure).

Been there, done that.  They didnt find anything - no hernia, nothing they could pinpoint.  Nothing came up in the x-rays.  They have me scheduled for a colonosopy later this month to rule out anything serious there, but I expect it's just a strain of some kind.

Of course I still have some pain and they were useless in attempting to try to find anything else after that, and are now just waiting on the colonoscopy (ugh - dont even like to think about that procedure).

Glad to hear it's just suspected to be a strain, but sorry you're going through this, Jeff.  I really do hope they find nothing.  As someone with ulcerative colitis, I've been there on that procedure--sucks, but it will ease your mind.

Your dedication through this, though, is inspiring to say the least.  I know I'm not that committed.  Just don't hurt yourself more, you hear? Smile

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
            Emil Zatopek

jeffdonahue

Your dedication through this, though, is inspiring to say the least.  I know I'm not that committed.  Just don't hurt yourself more, you hear? Smile

Not planning on it.  Just doing my 1 mile per day (usually between 10-12:00mpm) then nothing but rest, ibuprofen.  I had been icing it, but the last 3-4 days I've been putting a heating pad on it because the area just feels really tight and I think that is helping too.

Seanv2

Jeff, how's the injury?

Have you qualified for Boston? I want to interview you!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

jeffdonahue

Currenlty it goes back and forth.  Unfortunately sometimes life gets in the way and you have to do something that is not necessarily good for your injury.  Last weekend it was moving about 5 wheelbarrow's full of asphalt and concrete into a truck and then unloading it at the dump.  Plus the last two days were really busy getting ready for Thanksgiving and I didnt do my full regimen of stretches and exercises, but I wont skip them again.

So now it hurts in the morning when I get up, but loosens up a bit.  Running hurts a little more than it did last week at this time, but still manageable and actually seems to feel better later in the runs - went a little more than a mile the last 3 days.

STill hopeful to be back to training by the end of the year, and still possibly to start increasing mileage by the beginning of December.

Thanks for asking

Jeff

jeffdonahue

I went to the doctor today for my annual checkup and she confirmed that it is an abdominal muscle strain.  She says it must have been pretty bad because it is a month later adn she can still feel that the muscle is swollen.  Unfortunately the muscle is a really deep muscle and ice doesnt help - just rest and waiting for it to heal on its own.

I took this as good news - no hernia, no surgery, just wait which I was planning on doing anyway.  Hopefully will be back to normal in a few more weeks.

Ojo

I went to the doctor today for my annual checkup and she confirmed that it is an abdominal muscle strain.  She says it must have been pretty bad because it is a month later adn she can still feel that the muscle is swollen.  Unfortunately the muscle is a really deep muscle and ice doesnt help - just rest and waiting for it to heal on its own.

I took this as good news - no hernia, no surgery, just wait which I was planning on doing anyway.  Hopefully will be back to normal in a few more weeks.

I would take that as good news!  Just keep those 1 milers going and you'll be back soon enough!

Sara

MM #2929

Seanv2

No surgery is definitely good news. I hope you heal up soon!

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

It's time for me to end at 11 days, this is a record for me. My legs are saying 'stop'. Good luck to everyone.

daisymae25

Squidward Bike Rider

Sorry, Cindy.  Hopefully, the rest day does ya good.

I actually almost did the same yesterday, but forced myself to slog out 2 miles anyway.

Jeff, best wishes for speedy healing!

Seanv2

Jeff from your log it looks like you are feeling better? 

Message me!

www.miloandthecalf.com

jeffdonahue

For the most part yes.  I got in almost 4.5 miles yesterday but it honestly was about .5 miles farther than I should have gone.  I felt fine for the first 4 miles but started feeling stiffness in the lower abdomen for the last half mile (but I was 1/2 mile from home and didnt have tiem to walk it).

I have found lately that my daily discomfort depends greatly on how I sleep.  Last night I fell asleep on the couch and slept kind of bent at the waist - today I have a lot of tightness there.  Granted, I also only slept for about 3 hours so that might have something to do with it.

But overall I'm happy with the progress.  I'll do a one miler today to rest it a bit, but expect to keep up the 3-4 milers every other day till the end of the month.  then we'll see what happens for training in January.