A Mile A Day

Half Marathon training (Read 170 times)

Okay, so I've been running almost two years.  I've gone from nothing to two half marathons.  I am on day 37 of my first ever streak.  I am thinking about running another half marathon in October, which would mean training would begin soon.

My question, do you think a month and a half to two months is enough daily running to begin a training plan for a half that involves no rest days.  No "official" rest days, anyway.  I was thinking of doing either Hal Higdon's Intermediate or Novice plan for the half, running just 1 or 2 EASY miles on the "rest" days.  Probably NOT doing the speed work, since I don't really care how fast I run the half.

My main goals are to 1) run the half, 2) not get injured, 3) keep running daily.

Do you think these three goals go together at my level of running?  I do, but I don't want to be stupid.

http://www.runningnotes.net

jeffdonahue

Hi Kathy,

I think that it doesnt really matter how long you ahve been streaking to start a training program for a half marathon.  Just do it like you said - follow the plan and use 1 miler days as your rest days.  That's what I did pretty much for the first 5 months of my streaking.  Now my rest/one mile days are a bit more haphazard and just when I feel I need them.

As for the plan, I wouldnt discount the speedwork necessarily.  Not only does speedwork make you go faster (and while you may be running just to finish and not for a time, it is always nice to be out there for less time, especially if it ends up being a miserable day), but speedwork also helps to improve overall running form and economy.  It just plain makes you a stronger runner overall.  So maybe dont do all of it, but dont necessarily cut all of it out either.

Also remember that speedwork isnt an "all out" effort which is usually what ends up injuring people.  Speedwork can be just cranking it up one notch for 30 seconds, or speeding up just a little for the distance between two telephone poles a few times during a run.

Best of luck

Jeff

jeffdonahue

Out of curiosity, what half marathon are you doing?  I will be doing the Hampton half and Rock Fest at Hampton Beach, NH on October 4th.  (just noticed you were from New hampshire so thought that might be the one you were looking at).

I am helping a couple of friends that have never run a half before train for it right now.  One has run a 10K but nothing longer, and I think the other has never run anything longer than a 5K race before.

My main goals are to 1) run the half, 2) not get injured, 3) keep running daily.

Do you think these three goals go together at my level of running?  I do, but I don't want to be stupid.

Give it a shot, but be flexible. It will be interesting to read if you think running every day worked better preparing for a half, compared to taking days off.
          Ojo

Give it a shot, but be flexible. It will be interesting to read if you think running every day worked better preparing for a half, compared to taking days off.

I do believe running every day prepared me better for my last marathon.  I ran much stronger and consistently . . . and also managed to PR.  I am hopng for the same results this fall.

Good luck with your training!

Sara

MM #2929

That's the one!  (Hampton Half and Rockfest).  Last year I did the Seacoast Half, so I wanted to try the (flatter) Hampton Half this year.  I think Teresadfp from RunningAHEAD is doing it too.

Cool!  Maybe we could have an RA meet up!

I'll definitely play it by ear.  I'm a VERY conservative runner.  I would always rather take it too easy than get hurt.  Guess I'll probably give it a go and back off if necessary.

I have to say in general, streaking has really made me feel stronger.  I'm looking forward to training for the half.  I am curious too, how this will compare to the other two.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Yes, I've signed up for the Hampton Beach HM, also!!  I just found out that the HM training class at the Y has been cancelled due to lack of interest, so I have to come up with a plan on my on.  I think I will try Higdon's Intermediate plan.  I want to be at least close to the full distance before I do it.

It will be great to meet you guys!

I'm not streaking right now, so my name should come off the list.  Vacation and kids messed me up.  I'll see if I can get a few days going before I officially try again.

Teresa, let me know if you end up doing Higdon's Intermediate.  We could be virtual running partners!  :-)

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Kathy, I think I'm going to give the Advanced plan a shot.  I'm not "advanced," but the other two plans look a little light to me.  I'll probably do as much of the Advanced program as I can for a week or two and see how it goes.