A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 2/16/09 (Read 207 times)

Ojo

I had a good run today to celebrate my birthday. Smile day 63...
    Hope it was a good one!

Sara

MM #2929

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Thanks all! I ran one mile for every year old that I am. Plus one to grow on.
      Jill_B

I fly.

Wow. That's a lot of miles. Smile

Bring it on.

Ojo

Wow! I can't imagine doing that for my birthday -- I'd never make it to 46!

Sara

MM #2929

jeffdonahue

Wow. That's a lot of miles. Smile
            +1 Holy Crap, I wouldnt even think about that - though maybe when I turn 40 I might give it a go. Again, WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
              That is awesome! I have a friend who did something similar when he turned 35. He decided to run a mile for every year, and he ended up turning into an ultramarathon runner. Is that in your future?
              Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Boy, today's little 3 miler was tough. Smile I have the 41 mile Strolling Jim ultramarathon on my calendar for May. I will run it as part of training for Grandma's Marathon in June. Ultras are in my future, but first I want to be better and faster at the marathon distance.

q day

Trent, I would like to know what you learned on your run. I would like to do something similar (but shorter) next month. I guess I'd like to know if you took water, had support on the route, wish you would have taken a disposable camera, etc.? Ballsy decision! Excellent job! D

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I have on two other occasions run 40+ miles just for kicks. I tried on a third time but had to turn back after mile 6 due to a bad case of the GI bug. Here are some things that I have learned: 1. Running at an easy pace and even walking the bigger hills, I maintain an OVERALL running pace that is about 60 seconds per mile slower than my usual easy pace. So for example, my easy pace is 9:30 most of the time. My overall pace while running was ~10:00 - 10:30 per mile and my overall final pace that included walking was just shy of 11:00. In an ultra where I would be racing, I might move a bit faster. 2. I have been blown away at how LITTLE I need in the way of calories while moving that far, even though I am going at a patently slow pace that is clearly in a fat-burning (i.e., glycogen sparing) pace. I ate a grand total of two candy bars the entire time, and started after a breakfast of a single pop tart. That is, I only took in about 700 calories in foods before and during the loooong run. And I never really felt like I needed more. I stored the candy bars, (and my phone and keys and money/ID/credit card) in a small camel back type backpack that had the fluid bladder removed. 3. Hydration is a bit more tricky. It really depends on the conditions. The three times I have done this, the weather has been cool and I did not sweat much. The first two times, I wore a 72 oz camelback type pack. I never drank all the sports drink it contained. Yesterday, I carried a 22 oz bottle filled with sports drink (Gatorade) and carried a couple zip lock bags of premeasured powder enough to make 22 oz. Before I left, I made sure to know a bunch of places where I could fill the water bottle along the route. I finally killed off my first bottle at mile 27 and refilled at a store I passed, then my second bottle at mile 35 (it had warmed up) at a park's nature center. I barely touched the third bottle. 3a. The first two times I pulled this kind of stunt, it was part of a 21 mile point to point training run. I parked my car at the finish 4 hours before the start time and ran to meet the group as they set out. Because it was a training run, I was able to access all the fluids the running group had put out on the course for the return trip AND I got to enjoy the camaraderie while I was at my most tired. That also meant I only needed to carry fluids for the first 21 miles. I will likely do this again in April. 4. Yesterday, the weather was an issue. It was 25 degrees and felt colder at the start, high 50s and clear in the middle, and mid 50s, cloudy, windy and felt colder at the end. I started in tights, two tech shirts and a wind breaker vest, three pairs of gloves. At mile 7, it had warmed to 30 degrees so I dropped a pair of gloves at a place where I could get them later. At mile 16, I removed the vest and the second gloves. At mile 24, I removed my tights (which had begun to chafe) and put on shorts and put my vest back on. For the rest of the run, I was mostly fine and zipped/unzipped my vest as I got warm or cold. I also had the third pair of gloves off until the last 5 miles. All the excess clothing, I stored in that same small camelback type pack. 5. I carried my camera yesterday to take a picture of the turnaround spot. I did not end up using it, the lighting was terrible. Next time I guess. 6. A buddy met me at mile 37. Another bumped into me, not knowing about my stunt, around mile 35. They both ran me in. That was very helpful, although I felt really good and could have finished without. It was nice to have the company. Does that help?
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

Wow, Trent. Nice run and happy belated birthday! Shocked

Roads were made for journeys...

Thanks Trent, that was interesting. (I don't think I will ever use the advice, though Smile )
                        jeffdonahue

Jeff, For better or worse, here it is. One double which I am half way through today. I will be doing one long run on Thursday of 12 Miles and the rest will be done at easy pace. I may throw in strides one day or a progression run depending on how I am feeling. If everything holds up, this will be my highest mileage week ever. I am optimistic. I rarely end up sticking exactly to my schedule, usually end up doing some mid-week shuffling to account for how am feeling. Monday - 9 Miles Tuesday AM - 5 Miles Tuesday PM - 6 Miles Wednesday - 6.5 Miles Thursday - 12 Miles Friday - 6.5 Miles Saturday - 9 Miles Sunday - 7 Miles Ryan
                          How is the 60 mile week going? My legs are tired today. I ran a hill workout with my group today but hung way in the back of the pack instead of actually surging up each repeat like I usually do. have another 3 at lunch today (if my sneakers dry off enough - it was pouring for the 2 mile run back to the gym this morning) and am kind of looking forward to only running 5 miles tomorrow. Also, it is supposed to snow on Sunday morning so I am contemplating maybe doing my 12 miler on Saturday - that is if my legs arent too shot from skiing tomorrow. Good luck - hope its going well, your log looksl ike you are right on track. Jeff
                            How is the 60 mile week going? My legs are tired today. I ran a hill workout with my group today but hung way in the back of the pack instead of actually surging up each repeat like I usually do. have another 3 at lunch today (if my sneakers dry off enough - it was pouring for the 2 mile run back to the gym this morning) and am kind of looking forward to only running 5 miles tomorrow. Also, it is supposed to snow on Sunday morning so I am contemplating maybe doing my 12 miler on Saturday - that is if my legs arent too shot from skiing tomorrow. Good luck - hope its going well, your log looksl ike you are right on track. Jeff
                            Jeff, Things are going great, and I am right where I want to be at the moment! The weather has been terrible this week. I tricked myself into thinking that winter was over when we hit 50 degrees a couple of days here a few weeks ago. We got snow yesterday. And more often than not, the wind seems to be blowing at around 20 MPH. Not good when the temps are hovering around 20 to 25. Today is actually the coldest day we have had in weeks. I think I saw 17 degrees, but with the wind it is probably closer to 0. Ha, just checked, says feels like -3 degrees with a 'Severe Weather Alert'. It is kind of a bummer because I had my 12 miler planned for today. I think that I am going to scale back today, possibly hit the treadmill. The temps are suppose to climb over the weekend to the mid twenties and the wind should die down. I threw in a spontaneous tempo run in the evening on Tuesday. My legs felt really fresh after struggling through a morning 5 miler. I felt comfortable and was able to hit 6:45, 6:45, 6:54, 6:49 over the last 4 miles despite a 20 Mile per hour winds that day. I am kind of dreading this run on the treadmill today. I am pretty much sick of it, and full-on cabin fever has set in. On the bright side, my body is feeling very good (minus some minor knee pain) and I think my body is finally fully adapting to the increased mileage. Once I hit 60, I really want to level out and let my body become accustomed to the mileage before doing much speed, hills, etc. Ryan

Ryan

6. A buddy met me at mile 37. Another bumped into me, not knowing about my stunt, around mile 35. They both ran me in. That was very helpful, although I felt really good and could have finished without. It was nice to have the company. Does that help?
                              Trent, Aside from the last few miles, I take it that this was a one man quest? I am really amazed by any run long enough to warrant carrying supplies. I don't have any experience there at all. My longest run ever is 13 miles. I am finding inspiration in your run which makes me want to attempt some longer runs myself (definitely not 40 miles long Smile ) Of course, I am going to wait until the weather warms up, just too damn cold here for comfort. Ryan

Ryan

q day

Trent, Yes, that did help! The biggest factor, from your post, seems to be the weather. If I get a hot day, fluids will be the single most important factor. I'll just hope for a 45 degree day and prepare for all other possibilities! Darrin

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."