A Mile A Day

Hello All (Read 294 times)

jeffdonahue

I set this group up because I didnt see one like it out there. If there is one, let me know and I'll see about getting rid of this one. Anyway, while reading an issue of Runners World one day I came across a website - www.runeveryday.com. I went to the site and it really is just a listing of people that at one point or another ran at least one mile every day for one year. Some people have been doing this for 20 or 30+ years. I also remembered my brother telling me about a trip he took to China. He was travelling with a guy who had run every day for the last 21 years. The problem they had was when they got there, they had passed the International Date line so when the plane landed he literally had 2 hours to get the run in or he would miss the day. So I decided to make it one of my goals for this year - one mile every day. I also figured that if I get into that habit it will eventually make it easier for me to get out there on the days I need to do more than a mile. I started on January 1, 2008 and currently have run for 22 consecutive days. And if you look at my training log you will see that there aer several days where I put in just the one mile.
    Pammie

A good idea. Then all i can think of is Ron Hill I'm running more this year but so far this year i have had a few rest days.5 so far So perhaps i shall start tomorrow
        I'm always game for something crazy. Clowning around Count me in! Only been running for 3 months, but what the hey. I could use the extra calorie burn. I'll start tonight. Paul
          Ran my usual mileage last night and a mile this morning. The streak has begun!

q day

This sounds like a great group for me! I am a member of the USRSA (www.runeveryday.com) and this morning was day 580 for me. The USRSA doesn't have a forum like this, so I've never had much dialog with other streakers. Good luck Jeff, Pammie, and Captain Atom! Streak on!

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

Pammie

Young1 love your signature that is infact one of my favourite quotes and something to live by Well done on 580 Have you noticed any benefits by running everyday
                Welcome, Young1! We are honored to have a member of the USRSA among us. Congrats on the 580 days! How did you decide to run a streak? According to conventional wisdom, you can't run everyday without something breaking, or growing hair on your palms, or whatever. But people do it anyway. Could you give us some pointers on what to do/not to do and what to look out for? I'm very new to running, but in good muscular condition and running just 3x a week didn't seem like enough, so it was real luck to find this group. I'm planning to run my regular (newbie) mileage 3x a week and the symbolic 1 mile on the other days until I get more used to running. Streak on! Paul
                jeffdonahue

Wow, 580 - that's a long time. I just hit day 24 with my run at lunch today - only 342 more till I can get my name on that list. Hey since you have already surpassed the year, do you have any tips you can give to us that are just starting our streak? Welcome to the group! Jeff

q day

Pammie, the benefits are numerous, but one is overriding. I have gone through the In shape/Out of shape cycle for decades, so I'm loving the fact that I'm staying in shape. I decided that to be in racing shape I needed more than 1 mile a day, so I increased my daily run to at least 3 miles. My race times came down dramatically in 2007, and I qualified for the Boston Marathon. I've always wanted to run Boston. Jeff, the best tip I can give is to focus on staying healthy, first. I really enjoy being on this streak, and although it's just a list, I do love being a part of the USRSA. I'm going to keep it up as long as I can. I often train through discomfort, and even pain, but streaking isn't for everyone. Case in point, my wife started a streak on January 1 of this year, and unfortunately suffered a foot injury just last weekend. Now she's going to miss at least 2 weeks. Cause of injury is unknown, but most likely she simply ran too much without enough rest/healing between workouts. Paul, your right, and conventional wisdom is not to run every day, but for me it's a solution to missing 1 day that turns into 2 days, and then before you know it, a month has past. "If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get, what you've always got". Well, I used to miss days and that didn't work for me. Now I'm more fit, and faster (>10K) than I've ever been (and I'm over 40). So, I'll streak on, and hope you all stay healthy, and streak with me! Darrin

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."

q day

Everyone still hanging in there? I've been watching for updates! Streak on! D

jeffdonahue

I'm still going pretty strong, though the freaking snow is killing me here. I had a really good 10 miler (on the treadmill of all places) this morning that puts me at 28 days and counting. Sadly though, we seem to have lost a member - Dutchie42 is no longer listed as a member. I hope everything is alright and they arent out with an injury.
                          Yup, I'm still standin'. I'm a tad tired, though. Running my normal mileage every day added 3 miles to my weekly total. Too much for this newbie runner. So I'm just going to run 1 mile a day and no further until I get used to daily running. That being said, I feel relatively good. Nothing hurts or is sore (knock on wood). But I sure wish I could take a nap before tonight's run Big grin. Paul
                            Hi all.. Things are still going good for me. Haven't run yet today, but you can bet I will. Down here in Austin, TX we don't have to worry much about snow, but I did put in a few runs with the temps in the 30's and drizzle. I'm sure most of you have to deal with worse, but that's COLD for a southern boy. I really like waking up everyday knowing that I will be going running. My next big hurdle will be vacation in Breckenridge where I know it will be colder than 30's and the place I'm staying doesn't have any treadmills. mike
                              OT: I haven't been able to find out how to delete posts. Can we?
                              jeffdonahue

I am not sure you can outright delete a post, but if you look at your posts I think in the upper rigth corner it should say "Modify" adn you could go in and delete whatever you wrote, but I think it would still show a post but it owuld be blank.