A Mile A Day

Weekly Check-in 3/2/09 (Read 144 times)

OK, my turn to start the weekly check-in thread, how is everyone doing? My training is going well, and I had another good week last week. I made it to 60 MPW for the second week in a row and it is feeling very sustainable. I had a good quality tempo run last week, which ended up being a minute faster than my 4 mile PR set last February! I am definitely feeling the improvement of the added base. I am trying to get a good quality week of training in this week. Next week will be a forced cutback week as I am going on a cruise with my wife. Running around the cruise track will be fun for a little while, but I am guessing 60 miles of running around it will get old. I plan to get some Garmin stats while running the track to upload for all the data nerds. Smile Streak on! Ryan

Ryan

KvnJns

My training is going well. I am in training for my first marathon and I am both nervous and excited. I started my streak on Feb 27th, so I am only 5days into it. I figured this would be another good way to stay motivated.

Kevin

Ojo

I too had another good week. Daily runs seem to be getting easier and easier -- except when I run in 30 mph winds and 8 inches of snow! I actually had my first fall yesterday. I was wearing my yaktrax but wasn't concentrating and totally slipped. "Luckily" my arm was the only thing hurting this morning. I also did another 18 mile run Sunday, which was rather enjoyable . . . light snow falling and not too cold temps. Totally jealous of your upcoming cruise Ryan! Big grin

Sara

MM #2929

Jill_B

I fly.

I did 2 today and it was tough. But we did about 30 miles of skiing... so I think it's okay. (We brought the garmin with us today, but of course I forgot the cable to upload all the info, so I just know the mileage right now). Tomorrow I'm hoping to cross country ski and get 2 miles in again. Maybe 3. I hope you are all running strong!

Bring it on.

Here is my data for Feb 22 to 28: 35 total miles. Sunday, Feb 22, 10 mile run with mile 3, 4, and 5 in 21:36 (7:12 pace). Average heart rate was low for the effort, I think due to my heart rate monitor battery getting low, not because I am getting fitter. Then, on what I am calling "Terrible Tuesday, Feb 25," I slipped on ice, fell, and bruised my left leg. Currently, it doesn't hurt when I stand, walk, or run. There is sharp pain, back of leg, behind the knee, when I get up from a crouching position; and discomfort is the same area when I bend the leg past 90 degrees. Just below the knee cap is bruised and sore to the touch. This week is a cut back week for me. It is good timing to rest the leg. I started the streak 4/19/2008, so I am getting close to one year! Good running all.
              not a huge milage week for me... just 23.6... BUT I finished my first full week of streak running... Dead By friday (day 9) I was feeling a bit tired out. Yesterday's run I felt pretty good and for the first time since Oct. I feel my fitness building... I feel like I am getting stronger.
              jeffdonahue

Last week I did just over 40 miles - which was a bit of a cut back for me as I had been up closer to 50 for the 2-3 weeks before that. But I have been having some aches and pains lately - both in my muscles and in my joints. This week will be even lower - probably just over 30 miles. i also realized that I am WAY to competitive because I read runinBlack's post above about how he just did his 2nd 60 mile week and I thought "I want to be up there too" and it made me want to go get another run in at lunch. But I held myself back because I really think my body just needs some rest. Hopefully after this week I can get the mileage back up there again. Maybe not to 60 right away, but I plan to see how a 50 feels after taking it easy for a few weeks. So far this week the runs havent been too bad, though I had a pain in the lower part of my quad right above the knee right after my 6 miler this morning on the treadmill. It might have been my own fault as I picked up the pace a bit for the last two miles. Good luck with the rest of the week everyone. Thanks for starting this thread this week RIB (RunInBlack), I totally forgot - work has been pretty busy and I'm hoping to get the auditors out of here by next Tuesday). Jeff
                  i also realized that I am WAY to competitive because I read runinBlack's post above about how he just did his 2nd 60 mile week and I thought "I want to be up there too" and it made me want to go get another run in at lunch. But I held myself back because I really think my body just needs some rest. Hopefully after this week I can get the mileage back up there again. Maybe not to 60 right away, but I plan to see how a 50 feels after taking it easy for a few weeks.
                  I definitely fall into the same category when it comes to my drive to accomplish results in running. I went through quite a few peaks and valleys during my most recent mileage buildup. More times than I would like to admit, I was treading the thin line of really overextending myself to the point of injury. I force myself to sit down each Sunday and draw up at least a tentative plan of what I want to do during the week. I found that before I practiced this ritual, I was getting injured and burnt out due the fact that I would end up doing a lot more than I should have. Now, I weigh how I am feeling, previous weeks mileage, and weather conditions to come up with a schedule that I think makes sense. This really seems to be working for me. This process adds structure to my running which has helped me to avoid the set backs. I think you have a good plan. It would be good to let your body settle into 50 miles for a few weeks and stay comfortable. I did about 2 and half weeks of nothing by easy running during my last rough patch, which really helped. And look at the other bright side, I am not increasing my mileage anymore so you will catch me in no time. Big grin

Ryan

I got a cold this week and ran a little less. I still have some lingering effects from the cold, but my mileage should be back to normal this week. I'm running in another 5k this weekend.
                    Wingz

Professional Noob

So far, so good. Yes, my mileage is nothing like most here in the group, but it's still helping. A mile a day ISN'T injuring me and IS motivating me to run more, so I'll keep at it. Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...