Beginners and Beyond MILES GAME

Team Corredores - January 2013 (Read 101 times)

Muddling through

A Happy New Year to everyone. Of course I was asleep before it got here. Anyone run a New Year's Eve race or have a New Year's Day race?

If all goes well I should have my first track meet this winter on the 13th. The cold and snow are making it difficult to train properly. Speedwork is hard to run when the footing is bad or I can't seem to get warmed up well. I miss the days when I had an indoor track to train on.

RW Jan 2013 thread

2014 Goals: Run first trail ultra, first 100K, and see what I can do in a 24-Hour race

Philliefan33

Happy New Year everyone!  I'm back from my extended weekend in the mountains. It was nice and relaxing, but unfortunately I didn't run at all. When I went out on Saturday morning, our roads were icy and I almost fell twice in the first half mile, so Igave up and walked (carefully) home. Then it snowed more on Saturday afternoon and the roads got worse, nixing my plans of getting 3-4 good runs in during  my stay. Oh well, the unintended mini-break is better than falling and getting injured.

Back to routine starting tomorrow.

Future Races:

5/4/14:  Bucks County Ten Miler

Jen2011

Happy New Year to everyone!  I ran a 10K this morning.  It was the hilliest race I've ever run, so no PR for me, but I really felt great despite the hills.  Here's to a great 2013!

Jen

Upcoming races:

Covenant Health Knoxville 5K 4/7/13 (and cheering on DH for his 1st Marathon!!)

Rock and Roll Chicago Half Marathon 7/21/13

Tower of Terror Ten Miler 10/5/13

Lori W

MM#5991

I have found a winter cross training exercise that I like. Cross country skiing. Woot woot.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

Philliefan33

Lori, I think XC skiing is great for cardio fitness.  You'll be able to keep your cardio sharp and give your legs a break from the impact of running while still enjoying the great outdoors.   Where I grew up, there were college XC Ski teams as well as XC running teams.  Most of the skiers were XC runners.

Where I live now we don't have enough consistent snow cover to XC ski regularly.  Enjoy!

Edited to add:  I'm a little jealous that you have enough snow for skiing.  But then I think about the hassle of shoveling and commuting...and I'm not so jealous anymore.

Future Races:

Muddling through

Let's enjoy being in first at the end of the season. That's the first time I can remember that we've accomplished that. Great running from John with his second place total for the week.

An historical note for Lori and Philliefan33: one of the early woman marathon pioneers, Sara Berman, started running to stay in shape for xc skiing. She was the first woman at Boston in 1969, 1970, and 1971 before women were officially allowed to enter.

2014 Goals: Run first trail ultra, first 100K, and see what I can do in a 24-Hour race

Lori W

MM#5991

The only problem with my cross country skiing is that I am deathly afraid of falling because I am having difficulty figuring out how to get up so I go really really really slow. And the fact that the snow will melt in the blink of an eye in my area doesn't help. BUT I have enjoyed it thus far. I now need to figure out a cross training exercise for when the snow does melt. I am not a huge fan of the bicycle. I have started with baby weights. But honestly that is kind of boring so I don't see myself getting too stoked doing that. I need something enjoyable. Decisions. Decisions.

Lori

Muddling through

Just a reminder to post even if it's zero miles. We had 4 non-posters this past week. Three consecutive weeks of non-posting will get you dropped from the game. John (pygzilla) had the 3rd highest individual total and fignewton was 10th to lead us to a 4th place for the week.

Muddling through

It's Sunday and my first indoor track meet of the season is over and done. Only planned to double in the mile and 800m, but some runners at the meet talked me into the 3000m as well - after running the other two. Great mile in 7:53.74 and solid 800m in 3:38.73 (goals were sub-8:00 and 3:40). The 3000m was basically a tempo run that required some mental toughness even to finish. Final time was 18:01.38.

Hope to post an RR for the mile and 800m later in the Beginners and Beyond group forum.

ETA:  Phila Mstrs Track Meet RR

Lori W

MM#5991

Congratulations George on reaching your goals at that meet. I cannot even fathom a sub-8mm so extra kudos to you. Big grin

Lori

Muddling through

Reached my first official 35+ mile week in a long time. I've had some rolling 7 day totals that high recently, but not a Sun-Sat official week. I'm also already 15.6 miles ahead of last year's January total. I'm also on pace for a 150 mile month. My last month that exceeded 150 miles was 3 years ago.

Well the forum shift/death seems to have dropped the conversation right off in our little group here. I know that I haven't been back on the RWOL forums in a long time. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Which is quite a shame. There were/are good people in the coredores.

Anyway, on the weekend I did it. I raced my first Ironman 70.3 (Half Iron distance). My training wasn't ideal, and the wheels did start to fall off by the 2nd lap of the run. But for those who are left, my race report is here: Race Report

Hope everyone is doing well.

Muddling through

Andy, congrats on finishing a half IM. That's impressive that you can keep going the long and master, so to speak, three sports.

I keep a link in the OP of the thread to our thread on that other site, so it's easy to check in there without wading through everything else looking for it. I agree though that activity has decreased. I think that's across the board for the entire Miles game and not just Corredores.

Philliefan33

Andy -- kudos on the Half Ironman.  I read your RR -- very nice.  I like the photos...you make that bike look little!  Completing any one of the events would make me feel accomplished, so the fact that you can stack them one after the other just amazes me.

I had the opprtunity to watch my nephew compete in a Half Ironman a couple of years ago.  He's one of those ultra-skinny endurance athletes (originally a runner in college, added the other two sports later) that has done multiple full Ironmans.  I was awed by his performance, but inspired by the age-groupers who were out there for so long and yet still had the mental fortitude to keep chugging along.  I almost cried watching some of them finish.

I do check in with the trhead regularly to see if anyone has posted, but I haven't had anything worthwhile to post lately.  I'm just working on building a base / trying to up my mileage.  A couple of weeks ago I did my first 10+ mile LR and first 30+ mile week, so I'm making a little progress.  Weekend plans this week will probably prevent me from running, which will make for a low-mileage week, so I'm trying to make up for it by increasing the intensity of the mid-week runs (at least a little bit).

Future Races:

Nuinta

Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to say a quick hello, I was just added to the team Smile I usually do a lot of lurking and a little posting, but I'm around. I started running about 3 years ago, but took a year or so off for baby, started running again last summer, and am really enjoying it again. I unofficially started the RW Holiday streak challenge just before Thanksgiving, took a few days off for a bad cold/flu, and now have been going strong for a little over a month. I am in the south - so this is prime running season, temps are perfect now. I've got a Half marathon lined up for late Feb, then I'm not really sure whats on the horizon, but will keep running anyways!

Thanks for letting me join the team!