Northeast PA

Pocono (Read 401 times)

Carl A

I'm thinking I'll scrape some cash together and run the Pocono mary. Anyone else here going?

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I'm going to Boston then getting the old tubes tied Surprised so I will be out of commision for Pocono. Good luck though. I ran it 2 years ago and it is a nice quiet peaceful course to run. Hell on the quads though with all the downhill.
      2010 Goals
      Succesful pacing jobs at Shamrock (3:20)...
      VTU 100 Ultramarathon - finish
      at least 250 miles/mo., 3000+ miles for the year
        No marathons for me. I'm happy to be back, settled and running again after a couple weeks of moving.
        MattB

No marathons for me either.

Hawt and sexy

Sorry, doing the NJ Marathon May 4th this year, no Pocono for me.

I'm touching your pants.

Gearing up for Steamtown. While my weekly mileage could support Pocono I'm pretty sure I don't want to run 26 miles on a paved road (I think that's how it's set up - right?). Now if it was on a trail Smile I'd be hard pressed to pass it up. Ed
              Carl A

I know what you mean, Eddy, about trails--I try to do most of my running off-road. And good luck, Amanda, in Jersey. Let us know how it goes. It turns out that I'm not going to run Pocono either, due to me getting sick a couple weeks ago and letting everything go south from there. Maybe River Towns on May 31 will be doable, though. It's not too expensive, either.

Carl A

And great job, Danny, at Boston! 3:04 is moving!

Thanks. Now I am looking forward to doing some local stuff over the summer here. Sorry to hear you got sick, hopefully everything goes well toward River Towns.
                    2010 Goals
                      Runner's aren't supposed to get sick, at least as long as you don't over do it. That's been my experience. But lately I'm hearing more and more about runners with colds and worse. Now I'm sick Dead. Starting biking to work (8 miles of killer hills) to save on gas and I guess the cold mornings got to me. Coughing up some really nasty looking stuff. Should I stop running/biking until this is over or just go as I feel? Ed
                        I have always said "thats why they call it a 'head' cold or 'chest' cold and not a 'leg' cold." Certainly you don't want to get crazy but I think you do what you can and stay within yourself and train through it. If it gets bad enough you will know when to stop, but if you can still manage to train I say go for it.
                        2010 Goals
                        Carl A

Runner's aren't supposed to get sick, at least as long as you don't over do it. That's been my experience. But lately I'm hearing more and more about runners with colds and worse. Now I'm sick Dead. Starting biking to work (8 miles of killer hills) to save on gas and I guess the cold mornings got to me. Coughing up some really nasty looking stuff. Should I stop running/biking until this is over or just go as I feel?
                          I think we runners are susceptible to the same diseases as everyone else. And when we train hard, we can stress out our immune systems and get sick even more often than "normal" people. Being in good shape, though, can help to make a disease bearable--feeling down for a runner can be like feeling normal for a couch addict, and I think that I recover fairly quickly when I do get sick. Good job on the bike commuting--I'm starting to do the same thing (as soon as the rain stops this week!) The training rule that I've heard, and which tends to work for me, is that as long as the cold remains up in the head, it's OK to train. When it gets down into the throat and lungs, it's no good going out there.
                          hopefully everything goes well toward River Towns.
                          Thanks!

MattB

I tend to get sick less when I'm running. In fact this past winter I managed to remain illness free, something I've never done but then again I never ran an entire winter either.
                              Since I started running (15 years) I almost never get sick. I might feel like I'm coming down with something but it's gone the next day. No flue, etc. but I follow my three cardinal rules: train all the time, sleep as much as possible (at least 7 hrs or more), eat lots of yogurt, fruit and veggies. This works for me. The few times I've been sick I remember getting chilled just prior to the outbreak. This thing I have now is in the chest and running/biking is difficult and feels like it's setting me back. Took Sunday off and I feel much better today. Hopefully the weather will break at the same time as my cold and I can bike to work. Feels real good when I go by the gas station with their $3.60/gallon sign up. BTW, what a horrible accident this weekend - Mr. Valvano was starter for some of our races, I coached one of his daughters in basketball, she ran for Tunkhannock High and I used to see her mom all the time running around Lake Carey. He will be greatly missed by everyone in Tunkhannock. Ed
                              Carl A

Good luck Ed, and anyone else here who's running Steamtown or any other fall races. Have fun out there - the tree colors, and probably the air temps, are at their peak!