Northeast PA

Viaduct Trail Ultra (Read 446 times)

Carl A

Registration for the 2009 VTU 100, on August 8-9, is now open. Here's the website: http://www.geocities.com/viaduct_trail_ultramarathon/index.html Please pass this info on to any local runners who might be interested. Thanks! Carl

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Where is this Ultra At? Have you done it before?

Get Runnin Slow Poke!!!

Carl A

It's on the rail trails in NE PA. I ran it the first year, when the course was a 68-mile point-to-point.

I love distance, and the marathon is my race of choice. And although the ultras have been calling to me that distance just has me a little skeeeeeeeeerd. Shocked
          2010 Goals
          Succesful pacing jobs at Shamrock (3:20)...
          VTU 100 Ultramarathon - finish
          at least 250 miles/mo., 3000+ miles for the year
          Carl A

Hi Dan, It's totally up to you, of course, but from your log I think that if you can limit your pace in the first half of the run, you would have an excellent chance of completing any 100-miler that you'd enter. If you're seriously thinking of running it, I recommend getting on the entry list while spots are open. Over the course of the year, you could work up to longer races. For example, there's a free ultra in NJ (The inaugural South Mountain 100K) at the end of May. If things don't work out, you could always withdraw in June and let a late-entry runner take the spot.

You talked me into it! now you will just have to give me some guidance as I plan my training. I am at the moment however really excited!!!! Big grin
              2010 Goals
              Carl A

Dan, It's great that you decided to run with us! For training, I don't think you will need to change your routine too much. Since you originally started out walking, you already know how practice a key part of completing a long race. For me, ultra training is pretty much the same as marathon training. Instead of a twenty-miler, though, last summer I just made sure that I worked in a thirty about a month before my goal race. You're already in better shape than I was then; I should really get out running more! Here is a site that has a whole bunch of helpful advice: http://www.ultrunr.com/

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know its a long way off yet, but I am already starting to think about pacing, so as not to go out to fast. Seems important to lay back early so I am going to need a long time to get that idea solidly into my mindset. I've got a couple of marathons coming up in the spring, then I will be ready to turn my focus to the 100.
                  2010 Goals
                    Well Carl, My spring marathon season is over, now its time to start thinking about the 100. As I am starting to plan the training I usually go from race day and work back. So my first and biggest question is my longest "run", I am thinking somewhere between 40-50 miles. How far out would be best to do that. I usually do my last long run for a marathon 2 weeks out, but thats just a 20 miler and I figure I need more time for both recovery and for almost total rest between that long run and the ultra. I figure that complete cardio fitness is a little less important in this type of race as I will be going slower, but more rest in those weeks leading up to it will serve me better. Does this sound right? I am thinking that last long run ought to be no closer than 4 weeks before the VTU. What do ya say?
                    2010 Goals
                    Carl A

Well Carl, My spring marathon season is over, now its time to start thinking about the 100. As I am starting to plan the training I usually go from race day and work back. So my first and biggest question is my longest "run", I am thinking somewhere between 40-50 miles. How far out would be best to do that. I usually do my last long run for a marathon 2 weeks out, but thats just a 20 miler and I figure I need more time for both recovery and for almost total rest between that long run and the ultra. I figure that complete cardio fitness is a little less important in this type of race as I will be going slower, but more rest in those weeks leading up to it will serve me better. Does this sound right? I am thinking that last long run ought to be no closer than 4 weeks before the VTU. What do ya say?
                      Hi Danny, I think your plan sounds pretty good. In several ways you're a more advanced runner than I am, so instead of spouting too much hearsay advice I should probably just try to let you know what worked for me. What I did last year, before my first and only 100, was to follow my usual marathon training but add in a run of about 31 miles about five weeks before the race, which I did instead of the usual 20-miler. The fact that this run took much longer than I'd planned (due to some rainstorm-induced blister problems I had along the way) may have actually helped me. Although my pace was extremely slow, the 9+ hours out there gave me a feeling of what I'd need to do to stay moving for a long time, which was to definitely eat more calories, more often. After I finished that outing, I got up about three hours later and rode my bike back to work, which let me know that I could work through fatigue and even enjoy the challenge. I think that, cardiovascularly, you'll have few or no problems. The challenge will be to keep your stomach working well--I'd start trying to find out your best combination of calories (I like to use Boost, M&Ms, Oreos, gels, and Spaghetti-Os), as well as water/electrolyte (for me, powdered Gatorade). During my 100-miler, I tried to get in about 300-400 calories per hour. Next time, I'll hopefully be able to stomach more. Many ultra runners run their last 20-miler at about three weeks out. The timing you choose depends on your recovery time (which as a daily exerciser is probably pretty rapid). At start time, I try to make sure I have no lingering muscle fatigue. Good luck!

Carl, I am trying to work out my support crew. Just wanted to check to see if there are restrictions on pacers. I plan on doing the first part by myself or with whoever is out there, but was wondering if I can have pacers on the 2,3,4th legs of the run? I just need to know how many pacers to find. Also can pacers/accompaniment be on a bicycle or must they also be on foot?
                        2010 Goals
                          i looked on the website and got my answer about pacers for each leg so that is cool, but I was still wondering if they need be on foot or if they can accompany on a bike?
                          2010 Goals

Hawt and sexy

Did you run it last year? There a couple of parts on the trail where bikes are going to be difficult. They would have to meet you at the first crossing of 107. But a guy did try it with a bike last year, so I don't think they would have a problem. The race directors are uber relaxed. Big grin

I'm touching your pants.

Carl A

Hi Danny, Pacers are welcome and encouraged, and you can have as many as you wish. A mountain bike with lights would be best. For bikes, one place that was a problem last year was a washed-out section of trail. Although we just ran around/over that area, the NE Rail Trail person has told me that the trail there has been fixed. I'll take a training run on that section of the trail in the next few weeks to confirm. Another potential difficulty is near the start, where there's a bridge with 6-inch spaces between the thick floor joists. Riders should walk their bikes across this bridge. On a side note, my youngest son had his appendix removed on Wednesday night. He's doing well now, and is scheduled to be home from the hospital tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder Willa: staying relaxed is good!

Thanks Carl, glad to hear things are going well with your son, best wishes for a quick recovery for him.
                                2010 Goals