Raleigh, NC and surrounding area

New Trail Race near Raleigh - Medoc Mountain (Read 726 times)

Posted this on the "Racing" forum but I wanted to make sure the Raleigh crowd sees it..... The Rocky Mount Endurance Club has opened registration on two new trail races at Medoc Mountain State Park. There will be two distances - 26.2 and 10 miles. The first two miles of each race will traverse a park road and the rest will be run on the trails within the park. Where is Medoc Mountain State Park you may ask? It is located near Hollister, NC and is less than a 1 hour and 20 minute drive from Raleigh, NC and less than 30 minutes from Rocky Mount, NC. It is located in very beautiful section of North Carolina - home to the Haliwa-Saponi Indian Tribe. Why should you run this race? This will be a "runners" event....the money collected will be going back into making the race as great as possible - no one will be making any money off the event and we will not have any bands to pay! In the event there is any money left, it will be split between the RMEC and the Park (both are non-profit organizations). We will have a first rate race shirt and finishers medal. In short, this race is put on by runners who have participated in ton's of events....we know what runners like and welcome your suggestions. We already have some great sponsors signed on: Raleigh Running Outfitters, Golden Corral, Eagle Press, and Road ID. Space is limited so don't wait to late to sign up! There is a lot more information on the website: http://www.medoctrailmarathon.com/
    Wingz

Professional Noob

Ooh, neat! When is the race?

Roads were made for journeys...

10/4
        Wingz

Professional Noob

10/4
          D'oh! Guess I should have looked at the website. Blush Thanks for the info!

I should have put the date in my initial post...that is kind of important information! Hope we can get a lot of you big city Raleigh folks to come race with us!!! You should be hearing a lot more about this race since we have added Raleigh Running Outfitters as the presenting sponsor. They are offering a discount on trail shoes to anyone who signs up for the race.
              Update...we added a couple more sponsors and we have got our medal design. The medal is one of the most unique ones I've seen - we will unveil the design soon! Registrations are coming in steadily - we anticipate a big rush when the fee's rise again. For those interested, we have a group that will be running on the trails Monday (Memorial Day) morning at 7:30 a.m. - come join us!
                A lot of new information is now on the website, including the medal design, course map, and a slide show of park images - check out the "What's New" Section. We are getting a steady stream of runners signing up from all over the country. The majority are NC folks but we have runners from New Mexico, Utah, Massachusetts, Ohio, Georgia, and Texas! Come join us!!!!
                  Ok - this forum is pretty dead so I am not sure if anyone is actually reading any of these posts. Just wanted to give a "warning" that prices go up for the Medoc Trail Races tomorrow! http://www.medoctrailmarathon.com/ Also, the same group has just gotten approval to host a 10k and 5k on the golf course paths of Fords Colony in Rocky Mount on September 13th! Check out the website below. http://www.fordscolonyrace.com/ Thanks!
                  Wingz

Professional Noob

Wings, I'm reading. I'm just not in a place (training-wise) where I can run a 10 mile trail race. Even in Oct, I don't think I'll be there. I hope you have fun!

Good to know someone else is out there!!! Wingz - check out the 5k and 10k we are now offering - you can easily do either of those two races. The website is still a bit of a work in progress since this race only came about a week or so ago. We will be updating it and adding new information this week.

Future running partner.

Hey man, thanks for the post. Only a little over an hour away for me. Definately one worth considering. Cool
                          Both of the races are within an hours drive of you! Let me know if you would like any additional information on either race.