Running Readers

Marathon Woman (Read 748 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just ordered this book from Amazon, so it should be here in the coming week. I'm really looking forward to reading this. I've read nothing but great reviews and I believe Kathrine Switzer had a short story version of her first experience running Boston in the book "Sole Sisters" (short biographical stories about women running). I believe Cheryl is also planning to read this, so maybe we can get a few more interested and do a discussion sometime in the next month or two. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I ordered Run Strong that Scout recommended and another on nutrition. Also have one coming from the library that Trent recommeneded on nutrition, which I'll probably read first as I can't keep it! Smile

Along for the Ride

What are the titles on the nutrition books you've mentioned Joni?

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

What are the titles on the nutrition books you've mentioned Joni?
          The Omnivore's Dilemma by Pollan and Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes by Ryan. Right now I'm re-reading my old college textbook (1989) on personal nutrition! Big grin
            Just found it! Let me know when you get your copy in. I'm reading "The Last Run" right now, by Todd Lewan, and nope it isn't about running, it's about a coast guard rescue in Alaskan waters - true story, and might have been the inspiration behind the final scenes in "The Guardian".

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

I asked for Marathon Woman for my birthday last month, but nobody got it for me Cry There was an excerpt from the book in Runner's World a few months ago and it definitely hooked me!
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just got my copy--good deal, too! I didn't realize it's hardcover, and under $18! Can't wait to start reading it. I think I'll start on Sunday...or maybe tomorrow afternoon. k

~ Sarah Kay

Basically... run!

I started reading my copy from the library yesterday and am really enjoying it!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I think I will be starting mine this afternoon--AFTER I work out. If I start before I have a feeling I won't get my workout in. k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm going to try to start today as well

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

This book is sooooo good! Even better than I expected. It starts with her as a young girl and the influences in her life that led to her running the Boston marathon - serendipity. Early fav quote - perseverance. patience, and delayed gratification - now that's something that I can really carry with me. I'm at the part when she is actually running the mararthon

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Did you all finish the book yet? I don't want to give away the ending (oh my God! No way! Rosie Ruiz cheated!) but would love to discuss it if you're done.
                          2008 Goals
                        • Run 1250 miles
                        • Get down to 135!
                        • Break 5 hours in the NJ Marathon
                        • zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I still haven't finished it...I intend to sit and read a lot more later this week, since did will be gone and it will mostly be me and the little monkey at home. k

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

2/3 of the way done...great book, so far. I hope to finish it on Sunday...maybe. Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

I'm a little more than half - I am enjoying it as well.

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group