Running Readers

Advanced Marathoning - Pfitzinger/Douglas (Read 1553 times)

Along for the Ride

I know Pete Pfitzinger is very respected in the world of endurance sports. I have read this book - not cover to cover but certain chapters. I am a scientist at heart and enjoyed his explanations (slow-twitch vs. fast-twitch muscle fibers, low intensity training vs. speed work) This book is for the people that think 'ok, I finished the first marathon. Now I want to run another marathon, but faster.' I've finished Seattle in '04. The mystery of those last miles is "solved" and now I can plan it more and approach it less conservatively. I think this is more of a reference book that I will open at certain times in my running career and look up specific answers.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

This was my husband's "bible" when he was last marathon training. He's picked out another marathon for next year so I expect to see it out again shortly! It worked for him anyway - he was over 25 mins faster in his second marathon than his first one.
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

he was over 25 mins faster in his second marathon than his first one.
        WOW!!! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I bought this book when i was trying to break 3 hrs in the marathon. I followed the 24 week, 70 mile/week plan closely. I didn't quite reach my goal (3:02), but the program still helped me set a fairly significant PR. I also set my half PR during the training (1:24). I found the early chapters on running form, nutrition, and race strategy to be very helpful even though i'd already run 4 or 5 marathons by the time i bought the book. As the title suggests, this book is about running marathons so it won't be as useful for shorter races. They incorporate less interval training than other advanced marathon training programs. The programs also don't permit much cross-training-- you're running fairly hard 6 days a week.
            This is my favorite running book. I am currently using Pfitz's 18 week / 55 mpw plan for training for my first marathon in October.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

My Hero

I like this book better than Jack Daniels' "Running Formula" because it is aimed at a bigger spread of runners abilities, where Daniels' caters more (the impression I get) to the sub 3:00 hr. marathoner.Just my 2 sense. Smile
              mattw1970

Injured

Im going to be using Pfitz's 12/55 plan for my first marathon in October as well. Steamtown. I know alot of runners who swear by this book as 'THE' Marathoning book especially those who have time goals for running the marathon and not just running a marathon to finish!
                INJURED