Running Readers

The Non-Runner's Marathon Trainer (Read 490 times)

Beatin' on the Rock

by David A. Whitsett, Forrest A. Dolgener and Tanjala Kole I'm loving this. The book is based on a "Marathon Class" offered by the University of Northern Iowa, which was featured in a Runner's World article titled "Marathoning 101". The class has a waiting list as virtually everyone who takes it, finishes the marathon! The book follows the same format as the class: 16 weeks training/16 chapters. Each chapter has 3 sections - One about the physical goals of the week, one dealing with mental tools (my FAVORITE part) and one section documenting some pertinent participants observations. There is also a section to record your own runs/observations at the end of each week/chapter. I skimmed the entire thing when I first got it, and am now savoring each chapter slowly, documenting my progress. (I'm currently training for a 1/2, but the mental tools have proved invaluable.
    Be yourself. Those that matter, don't mind. Those that mind, don't matter.
      That's the book I used to run the Marine Corps Marathon in 2000. If you've never run before it really gets you going, and keeps you going. You won't break any marathon records following the book's advice, but you WILL finish. If 'just finishing' is your goal, I highly recommend that book.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I'm currently training for a 1/2, but the mental tools have proved invaluable.
        Good to know. I'm not planning on my 1/2 until 2010 but good to know this resource is good for the mental stuff. I think so much of running at any distance involves mental strength. Good luck with your half, by the way. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.