Running Readers

Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns (Read 591 times)

Carl A

A few months ago I listened to the audio version of Kite Runner. It's read by the author and is a great story. I'm now a few chapters into his second novel, and already I'm drawn into the story. My wife had read the print version of A Thousand Splendid Suns a few weeks ago, so it's fun to talk with her about it in the evenings. (She's good about not giving away the plot of the parts I haven't read yet.) If you want to know some of what the hell has been happening in Afghanistan's recent history, and you're not into reading textbooks for fun, these books are probably the next best way. Kite Runner even has some running in it, too.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I've read both of these and enjoyed them immensely. I would add that you don't have to actually be interested in Afganistan to find these books a great read.

http://www.runningnotes.net

I recently finished all of Vince Flynn's books in about a month, and was recomended Kite Runner. I think I'll have to make a trip to the library tomorrow.
          I've read both and both are excellent, though I preferred A Thousand Splendid Suns

Jazz hands!

I preferred Splendid Suns as well, I think mainly because I couldn't anticipate the plot so far in advance.
            run run run AHHHHHH run run run
            pitrunner

I really enjoyed both, but have to say I liked The Kite Runner better. It seems like most people I've talked to preferred A Thousand Splendid Suns though. Have any of you watched The Kite Runner yet? I'm worried that certain parts will be really hard to take...any opinions?
                Have any of you watched The Kite Runner yet? I'm worried that certain parts will be really hard to take...any opinions?
                No opinion because I haven't seen the movie but I understand it stayed pretty true to the book and it's supposedly very good. Everybody I've talked to says if I liked the book (LOVED it!), then I'll like the movie too. Don't know. I sort of don't want to cause I'm afraid of ruining the great experience of reading it.

Michelle

I really enjoyed both, but have to say I liked The Kite Runner better. It seems like most people I've talked to preferred A Thousand Splendid Suns though. Have any of you watched The Kite Runner yet? I'm worried that certain parts will be really hard to take...any opinions?
                  Excellent movie, I cried. "THE SCENE" was edited very tastefully so it's nowhere near as controversial as the media would lead you to believe it was. Rent it, you will enjoy it.
                  "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.

Bugs

+ 1 for A Thousand Splendid Suns

Bugs

Hennie108

I've read both of these and enjoyed them immensely. I would add that you don't have to actually be interested in Afganistan to find these books a great read.

I second this

nolamama

CQTM

I'll just resurrect this old thread (and user group!).

I just finished And the Mountains Echoed by the same author. The book came this year. I loved the Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns and was hoping for the same with this book. I found it to be an interesting read but it felt more disconnected than his previous two books. I wasn't immediately drawn into this one, either. I kept reading because I know the potential that Khaled Hosseini has and was hoping the plot would take a dramatic shift. I feel like there were stories that never reached fruition and overall you could see the connections coming together, but not as fluidly as I would have hoped.

Anyone else read this one yet? Thoughts?

I'll just resurrect this old thread (and user group!).

I just finished And the Mountains Echoed by the same author. The book came this year. I loved the Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns and was hoping for the same with this book. I found it to be an interesting read but it felt more disconnected than his previous two books. I wasn't immediately drawn into this one, either. I kept reading because I know the potential that Khaled Hosseini has and was hoping the plot would take a dramatic shift. I feel like there were stories that never reached fruition and overall you could see the connections coming together, but not as fluidly as I would have hoped.

Anyone else read this one yet? Thoughts?

Not yet but I have it & I can't wait to start it.  I had it fewer than 24 hours when my mom decided I wasn't going to read it right away so she took it.  She said the same thing you did - she liked it, but it wasn't as good as his other 2 books.  Now my dad is reading it.  Someday I hope to get it back & read it myself.

Michelle

nolamama

CQTM

Not yet but I have it & I can't wait to start it.  I had it fewer than 24 hours when my mom decided I wasn't going to read it right away so she took it.  She said the same thing you did - she liked it, but it wasn't as good as his other 2 books.  Now my dad is reading it.  Someday I hope to get it back & read it myself.

That would irritate me...getting a new book only to have it stolen! Report back when/if you have it returned to you. I really do find that his books have made me more sensitive to Afghanistan in general and I've found myself reading more novels based in the middle east/Asia.

I was at my mom's house last night and saw the bookmark still in the book about 3/4 of the way through so hopefully my dad will finish it soon.  They're retired & read a lot so my fingers are crossed!

Michelle