Running Readers

Non-running book (Read 950 times)

I recently read "The Time Traveler's Wife" ...anyone here read this? I know it's not running related, but it was so good I had to talk about it. It's not a science fiction book or anything, or I wouldn't have been into it. It is excellent. Read it immediately so there can be discussion. I feel obligated to mention a running related book, so i recently read "Ultramarathon Man" by Dean Karnazes. I have to say, he's a little cheesy but pretty good book overall. He seems to want to give you the impression that he just got fed up with corporate life and ran out the door one night and kept going for 30 miles. He has quite a background of running before this and might lead some people into hurting themselves if they try to go too hard too fast. Again, decent book overall though and a quick read.
      I recently read "The Time Traveler's Wife" ...anyone here read this? I know it's not running related, but it was so good I had to talk about it. It's not a science fiction book or anything, or I wouldn't have been into it. It is excellent. Read it immediately so there can be discussion.
      I loved that book...I bought it on a whim because I'd heard a few things online about it and knew there was a movie coming out based on it (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/)... I actually got misty-eyed for the last 10 pages or so....Haven't had a book do that since "Flowers For Algernon" years ago...
      "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
        I loved that book...I bought it on a whim because I'd heard a few things online about it and knew there was a movie coming out based on it (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452694/)... I actually got misty-eyed for the last 10 pages or so....Haven't had a book do that since "Flowers For Algernon" years ago...
        Yeah I'm really interested to see how they pull off this story in the movie. It was very long and detailed. Plus the constant jumping back and forth seems impossible to do in the movie. I was totally shocked by the way things unfolded though. I really hope they can duplicate that on screen. It was the most original book I've read in a long time.
          I read it a while ago and really enjoyed it. It was one of those books I hated to have end. You might like The Mercy of THin Air, by Ronlyn Domingue. Very well-written first novel with some similar themes. I'm looking forward to her second. grins, A
          Masters 2000 miles
            I recently read "The Time Traveler's Wife" ...anyone here read this?
            I'm going to now! Thanks. I've been looking for something to read again and this one looks good.
            Ringmaster

Didn't know they were turning "Time Traveler's Wife" into a movie. How are they managing that? Thanks for suggesting a follow-up . . . I didn't have any new fiction on my list . . . Karina

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

I read it a while ago and really enjoyed it. It was one of those books I hated to have end. You might like The Mercy of THin Air, by Ronlyn Domingue. Very well-written first novel with some similar themes. I'm looking forward to her second. grins, A
                Just added that one to my Amazon WishList...Maybe somebody out there loves me enough to get me a giftcard to Amazon! Cool
                "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
                Carl A

Just put the audio version on hold at my local library. Next week when it comes in, I'll let y'all know how much my commutes have improved.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Just put the audio version on hold at my local library. Next week when it comes in, I'll let y'all know how much my commutes have improved.
                    Well?
                      I'm reading this now. I'm about 1/4 through it and I'm really having fun reading it! Thanks again greenrunning. I watched a movie awhile back called The Love Letterthat had a similar theme. A man discovers a letter in a secret compartment in an antique desk. It was written by a woman in the days of the civil war. He writes back, puts it in the same place and discovers a reply. This continues and a romance evolves as they continue their correspondence. And being from Michigan, how can I not mention the movie "Somewhere in Time" , starring Christopher Reeve & filmed at our own Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island. Doing a quick search, looks like that movie was based off of the book Bid Time Return by Richard Matheson.
                      Carl A

Well?
                        The library site still lists my TTTW hold as "Pending - you are next," so it hasn't come in. However, thanks for the reminder. It looks like The World without Us has arrived, so I'm going to stop by and pick up that one the way home from my second job this evening.

However, thanks for the reminder. It looks like The World without Us has arrived, so I'm going to stop by and pick up that one the way home from my second job this evening.
                          That book sounds pretty interesting as well...I've got it on my Amazon wishlist too...Let us know how it is, the concept sounds cool...

Carl A

Finally obtained and listened to The Time Traveler's Wife. The audio parts were read by two different actors - a female for Clare and a male for Henry. The story is somewhat like that of Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five, although The Time Traveler's Wife is much less depressing. It did make the commuting time pass by quickly, and not just because of its subject. Thanks for the recommendation!

I recently read "The Time Traveler's Wife" ...anyone here read this? I know it's not running related, but it was so good I had to talk about it. It's not a science fiction book or anything, or I wouldn't have been into it. It is excellent. Read it immediately so there can be discussion.  

Who has seen this movie after reading the book? I expect it to be a disappointment, due to the complexity of the book. I don't see how they can pull it off. I hope I'm wrong. 

Who has seen this movie after reading the book? I expect it to be a disappointment, due to the complexity of the book. I don't see how they can pull it off. I hope I'm wrong. 

They did an EXCELLENT job I think...I haven't read the book since 2007 or so but the main things I remembered from the book were in the movie.  Done very well, in my opinion.