Running Readers

All The Pretty Horses - NonRunning Read (Read 441 times)

Anybody here read this one? I just started, I'm about 100 pages into it....Pretty good so far...My wife bought me "The Road" by McCarthy back in June of last year and I finished it in 2 days and wanted to read more of him...
    "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-When Chuck Norris wants popcorn, he breathes on Nebraska.

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
    Carl A

I read his Blood Meridian last year. It made me very thankful to not be living in the wild west. Wikipedia says The Road has a romanticism that's not in his bleak other works. Also, it looks like it's the first book in a trilogy. After The Time Traveler's Wife, maybe I'll check this one out too. Thanks!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

I read "The Road" while at a Law Enforcement Academy last year (my DW sent it as a Father's Day present) and I read it all in one weekend...could NOT put it down...it's got some absolutely amazing "verbiage" in it...loved it and will probably reread it again one of these days....
        "Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another." -Ernest Hemingway

-Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because he only recognizes the element of surprise.
          I remember when I first read Cormac McCarthy, wondering how I would have graded him if he were a student in my class (I used to teach). I have to admit, I might have busted him for punctuation! (In my defense, I do think you need to know the rules to break them intelligently--at least, most of the time. O geez, now I sound like a lawyer.) I haven't read THe Road, will look for it.
          Masters 2000 miles
            I'd like to read more of his stuff...His writing just sucks me in...

Carl A

Finished McCarthy's The Road the other day. Although it's not exactly running related, it is a journey book, one that leaves a reader appreciating everything that we have and take for granted. It's also a cautionary tale of where we might be going. I hear that a movie's in the works, and that they're filming in the badlands near Pittsburgh. I could have pointed them to a few wastelands near Scranton as well, but these are my super-secret running spots of desolation. In several ways The Road is the opposite of Kerouac's On the Road, but they are equally melancholy.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Finished McCarthy's The Road the other day.
                EVERYTHING I've read by him has had me mesmerized...I just finished the Border Trilogy about a month ago..

Jazz hands!

I LOVE me some McCarthy. Blood Meridian is my favorite, but I liked Pretty Horses a lot too--it's more lighthearted (relatively speaking of course) than his other stuff. I read The Road last year, I'm glad I did, and I never want to read it again. I'd kick puppies to be able to write like him.
                  run run run AHHHHHH run run run