Running Readers

Swimming to Antarctica (Read 537 times)

Carl A

Not running per se, but definitely an inspirational book on endurance. Read a library copy of this, as well as her shorter book Grayson. My wife and I got an audio version of that second one for our sight-challenged niece as a high-school graduation gift; she loved the intense description and the way it shows the rewards of overcoming desperation.

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I just picked this up from the library. I'm looking forward to reading it. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Carl A

Books like hers help me to see the many possibilities that living well offers. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I did!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I just finished reading it. The swim in Glacier Bay in Alaska with the pan ice in the water and the risk of the boat getting frozen in was phenomenal. I can't swim, but it is a great read about goal setting and stretching your own limits despite what others think. Thanks for the recommendation. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Carl A

You're welcome!

pitrunner

Carl - thanks for recommending this. I'm reading it right now and am really enjoying it. She sure inspires me to get off my ass. The part about the Nile race was disgusting! I kept feeling like I needed to choke as I was reading it. Blech!
              CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I agree that was very vivid. Tight lipped

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Carl A

A few years ago I got offered a job in Cairo. It turned out that it didn't pay enough for my wife and I to move there. Reading that section of the book did help to make the could've beens disappear! I'm glad you guys liked the book!

Bugs

Just read it. It was a freak find at the library and took it on vacation on a whim. Wow, she really makes my little 8 mile mid-week jogs look like a joke. I kept reading the book thinking, "no way in hell I'd do that." Swimming with dead rats? Breaking up ice so she can swim through it, BURR! A must read for any endurance athlete.

Bugs