Running Readers

Dean Karnazes 50/50 (Read 418 times)

Top 'O the World!

Very interesting! entertaining. Shocked Cool Anybody else read it? discussion?
    Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group

Running safely

I read this last week. I loved it. I think new runners would most appreciate it, or at least those who are looking at moving up to longer distances like the marathon or ultras. I am not sure how interesting it will be to long time runners. Though the book starts out as a narrative of the 50/50/50 event, it quickly turns into a training guide. It really lacks on event information once you get into the middle chapters. Very easy to read. I posted a review of the book at my blog: http://www.mythoughtspot.com/2008/10/10/review-5050/
        I read most of this over the weekend. Dean is cheesy as usual, but it's pretty entertaining. I can't say that I learned alot about distance running from this book, but it does inspire you to push yourself a little harder when you see the kinds of distances he is running. One simple tip I picked up that I (surprisingly) hadn't heard or thought of before is to fill my camelback half way and freeze it the night before a long run, then fill it the rest of the way up before I head out the door. One part I thought was really cool was where the teachers had developed different projects for their students around tracking his progress in different ways....some good ideas there to get the kids involved.

Running safely

I have never been one to care whether my drink is cold or hot. Freezing my CamelBak has never really mattered to me. I do put ice in it when I make it up in the morning, but by the time I get to the end of the run, it is always warm.
            I have never been one to care whether my drink is cold or hot. Freezing my CamelBak has never really mattered to me. I do put ice in it when I make it up in the morning, but by the time I get to the end of the run, it is always warm.
            What appealed to me was more the idea of having the "ice pack" on my back in 90+ degree Louisiana heat (at least for a little while) than the temperature of my drink. I have never actually run with my camelback...I always figured it would be too hot and annoying on my back. For anything more than 6 or 7 miles I usually just take a credit card in my pocket and buy a gatorade along the way.