Running Readers

The Competitive Runners Handbook – Bob Glover (Read 596 times)

I read first The Runners Handbook and then The Competitive Runners Handbook not long after I took up running back in 2002. The Competitive Runners Handbook in particular had me hooked. Coach Glover has something to say on every topic you can think of - hill running, tempo running, visualisation, hydration, nutrition, mileage, pace etc etc. I’ve recently been re-reading it and 5 years on its made an even better read as now I have my own experience to compare it to. I can look and say well that didn’t work for me – why not, did I do something wrong? Or does it just not work? Also there are so many things I’d forgotten and can’t wait to try out again, either in my next race or when my full on training starts again in a couple of weeks.
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I have this, but haven't really looked at it since I first started running--I have a feeling that I would find a LOT more of it to be relevant to what I am doing and know now. k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

This is definitely my favorite resource. It will sit on my shelf for months and then all of a sudden, I pull it out and find all sorts of useful information. Actually, I think it's about time to pull it out again.
          I've got the same book, but from I think 1989!!! Blush I also, though, find myself pulling it off the shelf every now and then. It's a really good resource! I would like to read this all the way through one day too, after I read some others first.

nualacharlie

I have the runners handbook on loan from my local library at the moment, is the competitive runners handbook worth reading as well or is there a lot of repitiion?
              I got myself the Runners handbook ,on the basis of your feedback . It is definitly worth the read ,from my rookie point of view anyways .Its hugh ,700 pages ? Chapters are easy to get thru and very clear to understand .Thanks !