Sub-4 Marathon Group

Indy Monumental RR (Read 35 times)

onemile

The Training:  Hansons Advanced with 2 miles added to each easy run.  Averaged 62 mpw with a peak week of 74.  Going into training I had originally planned to use the 3:35 paces, but I somehow got it in my head that if I could pull off the 3:30 paces, I should.  So I tried.  For a lot of the program the paces felt too hard.  I was exhausted, worn down and wanting to quit.  I ran a 22:17 5k in August which only predicted a 3:37 marathon and was getting discouraged because I didn’t feel like I was seeing improvement from all the work I was doing.  Then 6 weeks out, I ran a tune up half and surprised myself with a 1:37:06.  And I noticed the MP runs were starting to feel easier so I was feeling pretty good about the progress I had made this cycle.

The goal: After my tune up half, I was thinking that sub-3:30 was a safe bet.  I wanted to be fairly conservative since I didn’t want to miss my BQ but I was secretly hoping to pick it up in the second half and pull out a 3:27-3:28.  My plan was to run at 3:30 pace until the half and if I was feeling great, to pick it up slightly and hopefully run a negative split (like I did at Carmel).

Pre-race:  A few days before the race, I was starting to get worried. My legs didn’t feel great and my inner calf/ankle which had been a nagging pain earlier in the cycle started acting up.  But by the day before the race, my legs felt pretty good and I felt like the taper had finally kicked in.

Didn’t sleep much the night before the race. Had a bagel, coffee, and Mt. Dew for breakfast and headed over to the race start.  Forecast was for a perfect 42-47 degrees during race hours and I went with short sleeves, arm warmers and shorts.  (Should have done a tank top, I was plenty warm and tossed the arm warmers by mile 3).

The race:  Headed into my corral and got behind the 3:30 pace group.  Race started and it was pretty congested.  The 3:30 pace group started out pretty slow so I just went off on my own.

Miles 1-7 splits: I was kind of concerned off the bat when MP never really felt easy and I never had that urge to run faster.  I was running at my planned pace but it didn’t feel much easier than my MP runs in training. I was wondering if this might mean trouble later on but I decided to go with the planned pace because I SHOULD be able to do this. (7:55, 7:59, 7:55, 7:58, 7:59, 7:53, 7:57)

Miles 8-14:  I was starting to feel like it was taking more focus and effort to maintain pace by mile 8.  I knew at this point, I was not going to be picking up the pace as I had hoped.  I could hear the 3:30 group behind me, announcing their splits at each mile marker – I was still right on pace but having them on my heels made me a little nervous.  (7:59, 7:55, 8:01, 8:03, 8:00, 8:01, 8:03)

Miles 15-20:  At mile 15, the 3:30 group caught up to me, I felt like running with the group was helping so I went with it.  But then I slowed at a water station and they got ahead of me and I never could catch back up.  By mile 16, I started to slow down.  My legs were feeling very tired and I just couldn’t convince them to go faster (8:11, 8:09, 8:09, 8:06, 8:13)

Miles 21-26.2:  By mile 21, I felt like I was running through mud. I was trying to force my legs to keep moving but it was so. hard.  Everything hurt. I tried to just focus on moving my arms and legs.  I was trying to figure out how much time I could lose and still BQ and was worried that all my training this summer was for nothing.  Around mile 24ish I got bad side stiches on both sides.  I was hunched over trying to keep shuffling along and a woman came up behind me and grabbed my elbow and said ‘you can do this’. And I said ‘No I can’t this sucks’.  She ran in front of me for a bit. I tried to keep up.  Around mile 25, I caught up and passed her.  And she said ‘See, you’re doing it!’.  I figured at the 25 mile marker that I had the BQ, I just had to gut it out for 10 more minutes.  I think my sprint for the finish line was an 8:20 pace. Ugh.  Ended up with a 3:33:15.  (8:27, 8:22, 8:33, 8:27, 8:41, 8:23 and final .27 8:14)

Post Mortem:  I’m not really sure what went wrong.  Maybe my taper wasn’t enough? Maybe it was a bad day? Maybe I over estimated my fitness?  I don’t know.  Would it have been better to have adjusted my pace early on when it was feeling too hard?  I’m not sure.  I’m happy I got the BQ but disappointed that I didn’t run the race that I thought (and still think) I should be capable of.   Hopefully this is good enough to get into Boston because I am not running another one.  At least not for a while.

DetroitTigerFan

One mile - congrats on the PR !

I think it's great that you BQ'd !!!! congratulations on that. I know you may feel disappointed, but you were only off a mere 3 minutes and you accomplished the goal of going to Boston. You should be proud ! Look at the big picture - you ran 26.2 miles at an avg 8 min/mile - could you have done that a year ago?  that is really fast and you still improved from your last race too - incremental improvements are great and show you're moving closer to your goal

That's funny about the pace group - I never look backwards during a race (I fell like I may get dizzy or something), but that can get nerving - especially when you can hear them all talking and know they are coming up behind you

Re: training plan - that's interesting to read about Hansons. You did a lot of running ! I know I get that way sometimes right near the end.  All that running can wear you down.

Great job !

PB's     10K 47:15 (9/13)     HM 1:45 (9/13)     M 3:57 (10/13)

Running Blog   http://davesdigitaldestinations.blogspot.com/

onemile

Thanks DTF.  After my half in Sept I just had really high expectations for this race and can't help but feel like it didn't go anything how I had hoped.  But yes, I have seen good progress the past year and when I look past the disappointment of this race, I can see that I pretty much ran this at my HMP from last fall (which I was thrilled with at the time).

PS - you should join us on fb.

Docket_Rocket

Congratulations on the BQ!

I think you might have had an off day and even then, you were just 3 minutes off the goal, so I call that a win.  Speedy!  You've gotten so much faster from a year ago, just think of that.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

Rusk Runner

You Smashed it!

So happy to meet you.  DW and I both enjoyed every moment of Indy and I am proud to have shared the course with you.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

You Smashed it!

So happy to meet you.  DW and I both enjoyed every moment of Indy and I am proud to have shared the course with you.

Meeting you and Angie (and Daniel and Ami and Jim) was definitely the highlight of the weekend for me!  And I'm so happy that you had such a great race (not that I never doubted you would)!